Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suspenders...

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
Okay, I have recently purchesed some suspenders, they are the kind you clip on to the top of your pants, and would love to start wearing them but am a little unsure of the "rules." Does it look totally tacky/stupid to wear suspenders and a belt? That really is the purpose of suspenders, to hold up your pants. Why would you need to wear two methods of pants support? Unless you just have very heavy pants. I ask because I have seen people do it both ways and I am confused by this. If any of you know the "rule" for suspenders, I am all ears. Thank you very much for your help. I know you guys will not let me down. Peace...

Dagwood

Practically Family
I would highly recommend that you wear suspenders without a belt. In fact, pants can be tailored so that there are no belt loops at all.

If you do wear suspenders, I would advise against the clip-on kind. Buttons can be sewn into the pants (for a discussion on whether they should go on the inside or out can be found at this thread: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=16327&highlight=suspenders+buttons).

Good luck!

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
I am in total agreement that it would be better to have the no clips kind but that is all I have for the time being. In the future, I will definitely be moving to the buttons.

Also, I think the verdict is in and it is not a suspenders/belt combo. I will be wearing the suspenders solo. You have all been very kind and your expert knowledge has been much appreciated.

Dagwood

Practically Family
Dutch McCoy said:
That really is the purpose of suspenders, to hold up your pants.

While suspenders do "hold up your pants," the primary purpose of suspenders is to make your pants drape properly. As noted in this Time magazine article dated July 18, 1983: "Designers of more traditional men's clothing such as Ralph Lauren and Alan Flusser have popularized pants with a double front pleat. Explains Allan Ellinger, president of Alan Flusser Inc.: 'The only way to make pleated trousers drape properly is to use braces.'"

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Dagwood said:
While suspenders do "hold up your pants," the primary purpose of suspenders is to make your pants drape properly. As noted in this Time magazine article dated July 18, 1983: "Designers of more traditional men's clothing such as Ralph Lauren and Alan Flusser have popularized pants with a double front pleat. Explains Allan Ellinger, president of Alan Flusser Inc.: 'The only way to make pleated trousers drape properly is to use braces.'"

That article doesn't say that braces' primary purpose is to make trousers drape properly. It says that braces are the only way to make pleated trousers drape properly. That's not the same thing.

This is like saying the only way to get the best gas mileage from your car is to use the proper weight of engine oil. It doesn't imply that getting the best gas mileage is the primary purpose of engine oil. Preventing the engine from seizing up would fill that description.

Likewise, braces' primary job is to keep one's trousers where they're supposed to be. That they also help pleats drape properly is a secondary function--though not unintentional.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
clip-on braces can damage your trousers, and are anyway unreliable - use buttons!

Belts and braces together was a common Golden Age look, especially amongst working class men and farmers. That's because belts and braces perform slightly different functions.

Braces hold your pants up better than belts, but that is all they do. Belts don't hold trousers up as well, but they do allow you to cinch the waist and adjust for comfort. They also keep all the industrial debris and corn chaff out.

Anyway, I like the look, and indeed, I sometimes affect it!

Incidentally, it isn't true that clip-ons are "modern" as sometimes stated round here - they date back to (at least) the 40s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou