Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Swing Band Leader: Raymond Scott

otterhound

One of the Regulars
I stumbled on Raymond Scott's music when watching the movie Funny Bones last night. This guy was wild! It's the wackiest '30s era swing I've ever heard. Scott's music was apparently used as background for many cartoons of the period.

Has anyone heard this guy's stuff? For those of you are are Rhapsody, Napster, etc. subscribers, take a listen to his cd called Reckless Night and Turkish Twilights.

Hiram

New in Town
My love of Raymond Scott began about 7 years ago when I went in search of the source of the "cartoon automation music" that is invariably used to show wacky machines doing repetitive assembly tasks. You all know the one. It's called Powerhouse.

I found that he not only wrote that, but also the familiar tune to the exotic "There's a place in France, where the ladies wear no pants... There's a place on Mars where the women smoke cigars. Every breath they take is enough to kill a snake." Where the songs came from is anyone's guess, but Raymond wrote the tune.

Interestingly, he didn't intend for his music to be used for cartoons but was writing what he called "descriptive jazz." He was a madman for detail and often alienated band members because of it.

There are a lot of tunes and riffs on that album that will have you saying "So that's where that came from."

Story

I'll Lock Up
"Dinner Music for a Pack of Hungry Cannibals"
rofl.gif

Oh man, that'll come in real useful. Thanks for the link.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I'm a fan also

Co-incidently, I was listening to Raymond Scott in my car this morning.
I became a fan when I found that Carl Stalling had adapted a lot of Scott's music for the Warner Brothers cartoons. I still see some cartoon scenes when I listen.
I have a tape of an old radio show ("Meet the People" maybe?) that has an interview with Raymond and his brother. It tells how he got started and why he chose the name he used.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
His music for babies will make your brain implode.

B000001YCH.01._AA260_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Beau Hunks did him a few times, and brillaintly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24