Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

swiss army knife

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I'm a fan of pocket knives and I like have a small useful knife whenever possible.
When did Americans start carrying any of the varieties of Swiss Army knives?

Curiously,
The Wolf

Calico Jack

New in Town
I'm interested to know this, too... my family is Swiss in origin, and my grandfather gave me a swiss army knife that I've been carrying on my person nearly every day for almost ten years. This is no small feat for me, as I lose almost everything that comes into contact with me.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
June 12 1897

The VICTORINOX "Swiss Army Knife" is over100 Years Old. This useful pocket MultiTool was legally registered on June 12, 1897.

They were put in PX stores in 1945 for US troops and that started the World-wide expansion.

Sharpey

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
I started carrying one because Jupiter Jones of The Three Investigators carried one.

card.gif

Then a few years later, MacGyver used one to get out of some "impossible" situations.

Now, I carry the Swiss Cyber Tool. It is designed for computer techs in mind. It's been handy more times than I can count.

Not exactly on topic but just sharing.
Pyr.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Multi-tool knives have been around since 16th cent. Italy, I looked this up. They came to America with settlers too, but I think they get popular in the U.S. after WWI with the surplus maybe. I highly recomend the book Swiss Army just put out on the history of pocket knives. I carry a swiss card, now.

Queue

Familiar Face
The one thing I can't stand about Swiss Army knives is that they (at least to my knowledge) want for a clip which keeps my knife (currently a Gerber Paraframe) out of my pocket junk.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a multitool--the Leatherman skeletool CX--to have more than just a blade and to not come off as quite so intimidating. When I whip my knife out people seem to get nervous.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
love the new Vic "super scales" with the ballpoint pen. over two layers, they get a little bulky for a pants pocket. then they move to the jacket pocket.

around the house i like the very basic model with just the pen blade and the cap-lifter/screwdriver.

multitool knives go back even farther. this one is Roman:

A-Fitzwilliam-01.jpg

a modern repro for reenactors:

A-navajilla01.jpg

yobbos1

New in Town
Queue said:
The one thing I can't stand about Swiss Army knives is that they (at least to my knowledge) want for a clip which keeps my knife (currently a Gerber Paraframe) out of my pocket junk.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a multitool--the Leatherman skeletool CX--to have more than just a blade and to not come off as quite so intimidating. When I whip my knife out people seem to get nervous.

Victorinox may not have one yet but Wenger has introduced a Swiss Army knife for the '09 model year with a clip.

http://www.wenger.ch/knife/Outdoor_Knives_-_NewRanger/NewRanger_Clip.html

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
As I understand it, they gained popularity in north America after US soldiers saw them in use during either WWI or WWII. Can't recall which.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters