Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Synthetic fibres in occupied europe?

nightandthecity

Practically Family
I'm pretty much of the same mind Baron, after due reflection I think the odds are strong its East European. I think what finally swings me in that direction is the actual style of the cap - I associate these caps with the stiffened band/stand with central and eastern Europe rather than France.

AS for date, the burn test shows.....
top: mostly wool with synthetic "stiffening"
lining: nylon
thread: three types, all cotton

In the UK that configuration would strongly suggest 1950s/60s, but I'm not sure the same rules apply in the Soviet bloc - though that label seems pretty retro for much later than that.

I don't know why, but the label makes me think of the kind of clothing that would be assigned in 1984. A very grand name for something quite shoddy and utilitarian. The combined shock, hate, and fear on the chap's face are all very correct for the Soviet bloc, too.

attachment.php

It's a real stupid question, but I assume there are no markings on the underside of the sweatband.

Sprinkles

One of the Regulars
That sweatband material certainly screams Warsaw Pact. I know East German military caps in the 80s had sweatband material similar to that. I posted that 1983 soviet cap in the cap forum, and yes the sweatband material in mine is different than this one, but both of these types were used in Soviet, East German, etc. headwear that I have encountered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt