Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TAG BANNED IN SCHOOLS?!

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
What is wrong with America? The game of tag is too dangerous? Have the rules changed since I was a kid? This was in the news yesterday:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,55836,00.html

Also on the banned list; soccer, touch football, and any activity that involves kids interacting with each other in person (ok, I made that last one up).

I am so sick of parents today trying to keep their kids in little plastic bubbles until they turn 18.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Our school didn't like kids doing cartwheels on the playground. I told my daughters to do 'em whenever they felt like it and tell the teachers to call me. I was MORE than willing to share my opinion. I never got called into the principal's office, which disappointed me. I was REALLY looking forward to that meeting!

ArrowCollarMan

A-List Customer
TAG BANNED?!?! Self-esteem issues? Hell, I wasn't scarred for life because I couldn't tag my older cousin or his friends. What is this BS? They talk about how children are so fat yet they taske everything that was once fun away. Like swings because they're too dangerous, how did I ever survive childhood? And lets not forget those incredibly fun wooden and metal play structures! So what? I whacked my head on a metal bar, I'm not dead am I?

ArrowCollarMan said:
TAG BANNED?!?! Self-esteem issues? Hell, I wasn't scarred for life because I couldn't tag my older cousin or his friends. What is this BS? They talk about how children are so fat yet they taske everything that was once fun away. Like swings because they're too dangerous, how did I ever survive childhood? And lets not forget those incredibly fun wooden and metal play structures! So what? I whacked my head on a metal bar, I'm not dead am I?

I can do you one better. That swing actually fell apart on me at the height of a full swing. Good thing I held on to the chains for a while. I still ended up about ten feet further than I should have stopped. :D I could be a multi-millionaire if it happened now. :rolleyes: So could you with that bump on the head. :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Rosie

One Too Many
Sadly, this seems to be the trend now a days. There was this girl in NYC not too long ago who scored over 100 points during a basketball game. There was such backlash against her, people were saying how she shouldn't have scored so many points because it made other children on the team feel bad about themselves. In my opinion it's stupid, plain and simple. Some people are slow, some are fast, some people are good at some things, some aren't or are good at other things. Some people don't want their children to feel bad about ANYTHING. They are doing their children a great disservice.

There is this commercial for a camcorder where the little girl in the commercial is a supporting character in her class play. The little girl feels bad becase she is just a tree or mushroom or whatever she is, so her parents tape her as the star of the show, excluding the other children in the play. When the get home, they show her a video of just her, with her sound amplified and everything. I don't like this commercial at all. I know it's just supposed to be about the camcorder but, there's a lot more going on. Children have to learn as we all did that the world does not revolve around them. Sometimes you will have your moment to shine, sometimes others will, that's life.

This whole banning tag thing is apart of this weird movement. I've had parents not allow their children to come to a class play because their child had a minor role. I've had parents complain about their children not making it on our class punchball team. Our principal told us not to use red pen when marking papers because "red ink has such negativity attached to it". (Her words exactly). I'm not sure how this generation of "I'm fat because McDonalds sells hamburgers, I have to sue my neighbor because I fell in front of his yard, I'm going to sue my school becuase I broke dress code, I feel bad when the other children catch me when we play tag" generation is going to turn out. It's very, very sad.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
A world made of Nerf

Sooner or later we'll be living in a Nerf world. We won't have to learn from our mistakes because we won't be allowed to get hurt. If you get injured they'll put you in a rubber anti gravity room for your own protection.:rage: :rolleyes:
I remember my kindergarten playground. half of it was on asphalt with monkey bars. injuries came with the territory and nobody got up in arms about a broken arm on the play ground. We didn't get our delicate sensablitits hurt either if we managed to be the one who was tagged 'it', or were picked last for the team. We just lived with it and didn't get coddled or a "poor baby" from our parents if we lost our games of soccer, hand ball or dodge ball. There were winners and losers, as it should be. If you lost, you sucked it up and were more determined to win the next time. We didn't have time to feed bad about ourselves. That's how it worked. I guess we were more realistic about ourselves back then, we didn take it all too seriously. But hey, that's just my two cents.

Cheers!

Dan

Polyhistor

Familiar Face
Holy cow! :eek:
Can´t think of anything else to say, but WEIRD!

"A Santa Monica elementary school has banned the game of tag, once synonymous with youth and innocence, because they say it creates self-esteem issues among weaker and slower children."

How would these children ever become quicker and stronger, when they´re forbidden to practice?!

Regards, A.

EDIT: grammar

decodoll

Practically Family
DanielJones said:
I remember my kindergarten playground. half of it was on asphalt with monkey bars. injuries came with the territory and nobody got up in arms about a broken arm on the play ground.

And the other half was covered in chunks of bark that were supposed to cushion your fall...Yay!! It's hard, and it gives you splinters! lol

Why don't they just ban P.E. altogether while they're at it!? (actually, I would have quite liked that when I was in school!) And all the other classes too. Wouldn't want a kid to get a complex because some other kid gets better grades than them in math! :rolleyes:

Feraud

Bartender
..Safety concerns, self-esteem issues? Ugh! How horrible must it be for the parents in the school district to have their children involved in that politically correct mess?
What types of physical activities will the children be allowed to play that does not involve "physical or emotional" competition? A rowdy game of chess? Probably not, someone has to lose..:eusa_doh:
I suggest they ban riding the see-saw too because the kids are competing to get to the top! Riding playground slides are out because children go from a low to a high and back to low position. Truly an emotionally crushing prospect for a 3 year old.
The idiotic logic is endless.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Serial Hero said:
What is wrong with America? The game of tag is too dangerous? Have the rules changed since I was a kid? This was in the news yesterday:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,55836,00.html

Also on the banned list; soccer, touch football, and any activity that involves kids interacting with each other in person (ok, I made that last one up).

I am so sick of parents today trying to keep their kids in little plastic bubbles until they turn 18.

EVERYONE knows tag, and other forms of healthy physical interaction, leads to smutty behavior and your daughter becoming a 'lady of the evening' because she had too much exposure to tag on the green grassy playground when she was 9.

Im kidding, a green grassy playground now a days . . .

LD

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
It’s called something like the “kid generation”, where parents pander to their children. They let them have and do whatever they want, total instant gratification, with the child experiencing as little negativity as possible.

Where I work has done market research on this, and developed advertising directed at the kids, knowing the parents will do whatever their children want.

Give little Johnny and Suzy what ever they want or they might get mad and cry.

It makes me sick.

Serial Hero said:
Give little Johnny and Suzy what ever they want or they might get mad and cry.

It makes me sick.

Cry!?n I'll give them something to really cry about. :p
All kidding aside, parental involvement, not parental bribing, actually solves a lot of problems with youth. Yes, there are some who are incorrigible and science tells us that our chilkdren have personalities when they are born but there must at least be some parental courage and shaping or all the generation are raising is those educated monsters that Teddy Roosevelt talked about over 100 years ago. The poor baby may get tagged and have his feelings hurt. It is always backed up by some idiot reasearcher or doctor too. :eek: :rolleyes: Of course they aren't going to like losing. No one does. That is just how the game is played though. Do they think that one sports team at a professional level is going to stop so the other can catch up to make it "fair?" :eusa_doh:

Regards to all,

J

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
jamespowers said:
Cry!?n I'll give them something to really cry about. :p
All kidding aside, parental involvement, not parental bribing, actually solves a lot of problems with youth. Yes, there are some who are incorrigible and science tells us that our chilkdren have personalities when they are born but there must at least be some parental courage and shaping or all the generation are raising is those educated monsters that Teddy Roosevelt talked about over 100 years ago. The poor baby may get tagged and have his feelings hurt. It is always backed up by some idiot reasearcher or doctor too. :eek: :rolleyes: Of course they aren't going to like losing. No one does. That is just how the game is played though. Do they think that one sports team at a professional level is going to stop so the other can catch up to make it "fair?" :eusa_doh:

Regards to all,

J
There goes the sports bet in Vegas. Every game and race is a tie. NASCAR will have to make all their tracks 50 lanes wide to accommodate all the cars crossing the finish line at the same time.

Serial Hero said:
There goes the sports bet in Vegas. Every game and race is a tie. NASCAR will have to make all their tracks 50 lanes wide to accommodate all the cars crossing the finish line at the same time.

Yeah right! I could just see all those good ole boys agreeing to finish tied. That would never happen. Just try to get in their way. :p
Soccer I could see this happening to though. :rolleyes:

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff