Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailors in Melbourne & Sydney

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
More details please Godfrey!

hello Godfrey,

The suit looks great! Can you give us some more info on the suit please? Photos of the trousers etc. Did you include buttons for braces? How long is the rise on the trousers? Are the armholes high? If you are comfortable with answering how much did you pay?

As an aside I emailed Zinc & Sons in regards to tailoring a suit for me but haven't heard from them yet.

Cheers

Peter

SteveN

One of the Regulars
Anyone here having something made by these guys? I was just in their shop today, and asked about a sport jacket in a black & white houndstooth pattern. To my surprise, he said that last week someone came in and asked about the same thing.

Regards,
- Steve

3PieceSuitGuy said:
Try Zink & Sons on Oxford St in Sydney. While I have never used them I have a mate who has and he swears by them. The suit pic they have on their website - www.zinkandsons.com.au/suits.html - looks great and very vintage. They have been around since 1895 so could be an excellent source for an authentic vintage style suit.

Let me know how you go.

Cheers

Peter

Tzedekh

New in Town
Godfrey said:
After three fittings and the like I have my bespoke new suit from Travellers in Collingwood (Vic).

So here are the spec's - Jacket - three button, Waistcoat, 2 pants (cut high). 100% wool

Salvatore the main tailor was excellent - very attentive and a great at determining the best fit. I wanted a pretty close fit on the jacket and he has got it just right. Tight without being constricting. Couldn't be happier.

Photos below - and yes I am still determining the best head gear to go with it!

The suit looks good, but the waistcoat suffers from "modernitis" -- it looks about 3 to 4 inches too long. This is typical (I should say nearly invariable) with modern vests. Your natural waist looks to be a little above the fourth vest button; this is where the waistband should be. Therefore, the bottom of the vest point should be about where the bottom buttonhole is. The welt pocket should sit at waist level or a little above.

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
3PieceSuitGuy said:
hello Godfrey,

The suit looks great! Can you give us some more info on the suit please? Photos of the trousers etc. Did you include buttons for braces? How long is the rise on the trousers? Are the armholes high? If you are comfortable with answering how much did you pay?

As an aside I emailed Zinc & Sons in regards to tailoring a suit for me but haven't heard from them yet.

Sorry for the long delay in geting back to you!

I'll get some more photos. Buttons on the suit for braces are inside the pants. So it will take both braces and belt. Trousers are pretty high - up near the belly button :)

I got the armholes done alot higher than "normal" it definetly better than other suits that I've had but I'll ask for them even higher next time. Price was over $1k by a little bit - made a little expensive as I'm 193cm tall and take a bit of fabric!

Be interested in the report back on Zinc & Sons.

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
Tzedekh said:
The suit looks good, but the waistcoat suffers from "modernitis" -- it looks about 3 to 4 inches too long. This is typical (I should say nearly invariable) with modern vests. Your natural waist looks to be a little above the fourth vest button; this is where the waistband should be. Therefore, the bottom of the vest point should be about where the bottom buttonhole is. The welt pocket should sit at waist level or a little above.

Probably would be better for a more vintage feel. I actually asked that they make sure I didn't show any shirt - a guy at my work has a waistcoat cut way too high and suffers from a little corporate muffin top.

Tzedekh

New in Town
Godfrey said:
Probably would be better for a more vintage feel. I actually asked that they make sure I didn't show any shirt - a guy at my work has a waistcoat cut way too high and suffers from a little corporate muffin top.
Yes, that is a danger with a shorter waistcoat. If one is to pursue a shorter vintage look, one must also make sure that the trouser waist is suitably higher, as well.

alden405

A-List Customer
Tony the Tailor is great

He is a little old Greek bloke.
Pair of wide leg 40s cut pants cost me $125 (my fabric)
They are 12 out of 10
I recomend Tony to all.
03 9419 5441

Brother John

New in Town
Skin Deep

Skin Deep in Elizabeth Street Sydney make very authentic 1940s style suits. I am very happy with this suit that I purchased from them recently.
bj3.jpg

bj8.jpg

Brother John
www.brotherjohn.biz

splatt

One of the Regulars
I usually find that i am pretty happy with anything that i buy at Skin Deep Brother John....suit jackets, long sleeve shirts, Hawaiian shirts, 50's American rocker shirts, t-shirts, cufflinks...its all good :)

3PieceSuitGuy

One of the Regulars
Zinc & Sons

Just an update on Zinc & Sons. Haven't heard back from them at all so I think I'll cross them off the list. There is another Aussie on the lounge - Benny Holiday who has found a phenomenal tailor in Liverpool. Ill try & fond the post with all the details but he definately looks like the one to visit!

Cheers,

Peter.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Brother John welcome...lovely spectators...BTW ...what brand?

I was stunned to see how many suit styles Skin Deep is selling including styles from the 1930s.

I went in there recently and they had a lot of stuff but the website offers more than I saw in the shop.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
BinkieBaumont said:
I do admit it is rather naughy but I tend to fly to Vietnam with photos of "Tommy Nutter" suits and they whip em up in a flash, dont ya know, and in light weight fabrics.:eek:fftopic:

Leave it out Binkie who do fink you are?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
MPower said:
I really feel that my past life was in the twenties. Wishing everyone well.

Mark

Don't fret! I was born in 1953 but I wish I had grown up adult in 1953. You will feel right at home...welcome to the Lounge!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn