Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Take a Look Inside Detroit's Secretive Masonic Temple

Story

I'll Lock Up
Stumbled upon this, thought it might be of general interest. Enjoy.

In terms of basic creepiness, few buildings in Detroit can match the Masonic Temple. Stained by a century of Detroit soot and weather, the building's limestone exterior is almost comically foreboding.
Legends surround the Temple's interior, which is said to contain a labyrinth of rooms, some connected by secret passageways. It's also full of dramatic, unused spaces—the most famous being an unfinished swimming pool on the sixth floor. Unfortunately, most of the building is off-limits to the public. But with rumors of renovation and a possible loft conversion floating around, we snapped some photos during a recent tour from Preservation Detroit.
http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2014/05/masonic.php

Apparently it went up in 1920-1922
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Masonic_Temple

Their website
http://themasonic.com/

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Those older temples must require an awful lot of money for upkeep, but they certainly would make quite the impression upon the mind of the candidate as he takes his degrees.

My lodge is St. John's 3, here in New Bern...a very old temple. There is a mural there, telling the story of Masonry, that 'rounds all four walls. The legend is that a talented, but now unknown slave painted it sometime in the 1830's. The mural is scarred and gouged in hundreds of places along the walls...and the scars and gouges are exactly the length of a Springfield musket above the floor. No mystery as to how that happened. When Ambrose Burnside occupied New Bern, he quartered his troops in every public building in town, including our temple. The Yanks propped their muskets against the walls in the rooms where they slept...regardless of what may have been painted on the walls. Just around the corner from our temple is the First Presbyterian Church. It has a wind vane on its steeple that is riddled with .44 holes. Seems that some of General Burnside's officers thought it great sport to try and spin First Presbyterian's wind vane with their side arms.

AF

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
My lodge is St. John's 3, here in New Bern...a very old temple. There is a mural there, telling the story of Masonry, that 'rounds all four walls. The legend is that a talented, but now unknown slave painted it sometime in the 1830's. The mural is scarred and gouged in hundreds of places along the walls...and the scars and gouges are exactly the length of a Springfield musket above the floor. No mystery as to how that happened. When Ambrose Burnside occupied New Bern, he quartered his troops in every public building in town, including our temple. The Yanks propped their muskets against the walls in the rooms where they slept...regardless of what may have been painted on the walls. Just around the corner from our temple is the First Presbyterian Church. It has a wind vane on its steeple that is riddled with .44 holes. Seems that some of General Burnside's officers thought it great sport to try and spin First Presbyterian's wind vane with their side arms.

AF

Back in my re-enactor days I had the opportunity to attend a national event in Franklin, TN. Word got around that the local lodge was putting on a degree, and that all brothers were welcome.

The lodge meets in a temple that, when erected, was the tallest building west of the Appalachian Mountains. We were treated to a wonderful meal, and then the degree was presented. Some of us wore Federal blue, others wore varying shades of Confederate butternut and grey, and many states were represented. After the battle in fall 1864, the temple had been used as a field hospital for the Federals, and there was still graffiti that had been put up from back then, listing name and state regiment.

That was a horrible battle: the South lost several generals including their best (my opinion here), Patrick Cleburne. And too many other good men. But that degree left quite a positive impression with me, both of our Craft and of its role in binding the wounds of a reunited nation.

TM

A-List Customer
It is very surprising that it is in as good of condition that it is today. This scale of structure is very expensive to maintain. I'd like to see it sometime.
Tony

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
When my Husband's Commercial Building business was going well many years ago, he was hired to do some very extensive work inside the Masonic Temple in Detroit. They have a limited budget as to what they would like to have done, compared to what really needs to be done to the entire building.

The Mason's in general have always created some mystery as to what as an organization, they actually do. Many very ignorant authors have published some wild and non accurate books on the Masons. Clearly the majority of Masons have been successful business men, that happen to have a deep love for their fellow mankind, and strive to help the community.

Aether

One of the Regulars
I looks like a lovely building, and one I'd like to visit at some point.

My own lodge meet in a wonderful Art Deco building in Covent Garden, London - Freemasons' Hall. If you're ever in the area make sure you pop in and ask for a guided tour (it's open to non-masons and is free). The mosiac work and stained glass are stunning.

Nick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy