Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talkin' about horsehide!!!

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Treatise on Elegant Living by Honoré de Balzac, Napoleon Jeffries (Translator)
Treatise on Elegant Living 3.79 · rating details · 39 ratings · 6 reviews
Honore de Balzac's 1830 "Traite de la Vie Elegante: Physiologie de la Toilette " was a keystone text on dandyism, preceding Jules Barbey d'Aurevilly's "Anatomy of Dandyism" (1845) and Charles Baudelaire's "The Dandy" (in "The Painter of Modern Life," 1863), and marking an important shift from the early dandyism of the British Regency to the intellectual and artistic dandyism of nineteenth-century France. The "Treatise" is the first true philosophical expression of dandyism, and is full of well-crafted aphorisms: "Elegant living is, in the broad acceptance of the term, the art of animating repose," runs one classic definition of dandyism, and "One must have studied at least as far as rhetoric to lead an elegant life" asserts the importance of verbal pirouette and dexterous quipping to the dandy. Further embellished with anecdotes and historical and personal illustrations, Balzac's "Treatise" even features a fictitious encounter with the original dandy himself, Beau Brummell. Never before translated into English, this witty tract makes for an illuminating cornerstone to Balzac's "Human Comedy" (which was originally to have included a never-completed four-part philosophical "Pathology of Social Life"). Above all, it represents a decisive moment in the history of dandyism, and an entertaining exposition on the profundities of what lies deepest within all of us: our appearance.
+++
"Are your shakes real or are they made from shake mix?"
"Yeah, heh heh hmmh heh heh"
"I asked you a question, are they real or shake mix?"
"Yeah, heh heh hmmh heh heh"
"Look, where's your manager?"
"Uh, huh huh, I'm an assistant manager."
"I asked a simple quesiton, are your shakes real or made from shake mix?"
"Uh, we have vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry."
Beavis & Butthead
By reading that I feel like I've just taken an English Lit course and I never stayed in school long enough to have it as a subject but I understand what you're saying(stick to the cowhide)haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner