Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tanker vs. N1 Deck Jacket

Edward

Bartender
They don't really seem too similar to me in funtion. Tankers are lighter (the ones I've seen) and are a nice cool weather piece.
N-1 are lined and heavier (jungle cloth) and are great in truly cold weather. I've got a Pike Bros N-1 and wore it in the snow in PA - was so warm I had to unzip it.
I think you can have both and not really overlap in looks and function. My 2¢

Agreed. The Tanker is, imo, somewhere in between an L2 and an MA! in warmth. A good September/early October alternative to a nice leather. The N1 is a depths of Winter jacket - a nice cloth alternative to a B3 or such. I've definitely got my eye on the Pike N1 (as well as their B15...). Tempted to go for one with some stenciling on it....

If I had to choose one or the other, I'd go for the N1 over the tanker, as it just seems more practical to me. A blue one has less of an obvious military look, if that matters to you. Of course, I have more space in my wardrobe for 'another' Winter weight short jacket, less so another lighter jacket... YMMV. I do already have a civilianised tanker from Barry Lyndon / Spearhead on eBay, with the burgundy nylon quilted liner and Travis Bickle patches (I just have to get myself organised enough to get the Bickle T stenciled on the back), so I'll probably not want another.

Kevin Collver

New in Town
Yes, yes, ATF still has the zipper that gores all the way to the top of the collar...NOT like originals and the knits are not tube knits

well my new ATF jacket just arrived, and it DOES have tube cuffs, no more seams!!!!

CBI

One Too Many
mine arrived as well and yes tube cuffs!!!! I really like this fleece lined one - highly recommend it!!!!

Kevin Collver

New in Town
I concur, this new tanker is amazing!!! its my grab&go cold weather jacket with my sweatshirt underneith, and very comfortable to wear with just a t shirt! I very much recommend this jacket, at just $100 + reasonable shipping, this is a steal for a tanker of this quality

CBI

One Too Many
One of the things I really like about the ATF tanker is the color. I think its OD#3. Its more green than some of the other repro manufactures or I should say, less tan. There were numerous variations in color during the war.

Yep, one of the best go-to jacket deals around. Sure I wish I could post pics but I can't due to photobucket issues. I know on this site, I have another photo options for uploading?

Kevin Collver

New in Town
PSX_20151005_204840[1].jpg

PSX_20151005_205201[1].jpg

PSX_20151005_205323[1].jpg

PSX_20151005_205450[1].jpg

PSX_20151005_205554[1].jpg PSX_20151005_205657[1].jpg

A few pics between the fleece tanker vs the older 2009 model wool tanker

Roma

A-List Customer
One of the things I really like about the ATF tanker is the color. I think its OD#3. Its more green than some of the other repro manufactures or I should say, less tan. There were numerous variations in color during the war.

Yep, one of the best go-to jacket deals around. Sure I wish I could post pics but I can't due to photobucket issues. I know on this site, I have another photo options for uploading?
Yes, there are some options. One of them is to upload directly from your computer but the size of a pic should be within 1 or even 5 Mb, don't remember. If you use Tapatalk, you can upload directly from your mobile device.

Last edited:

Roma

A-List Customer
da635d65403fd81aaa10233260bd8489.jpg
5c45b9771116ae6aea9ccdbe0bac5f46.jpg

Got my alpaca lined cotton N1 from Mister freedom last year as a way to "have a rest" at times from my heavy leather jackets:) Like it!

Roma

A-List Customer
Yes, there are some options. One of them is to upload directly from your computer but the size of a pic should be within 1 or even 5 Mb, don't remember. If you use Tapatalk, you can upload directly from your mobile device.
And if you use Tapatalk, the pics are resized automatically. If you upload directly from your pc thru the webpage, you have to resize them before.

CBI

One Too Many
thanks Roma - I will check out Tapatalk.

Yes, love N-1's as well. I owned an original that I loved but was ultimately too large for me. Maybe someday I will track down another one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace