Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Taper on hats

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
If you look at the hat in profile, the amount the front and back of the crown leans inward is the "taper". If the crown leans outward at the front and back, it's called "reverse taper".
Usually the sides are not being referred to.

The amount of taper is due to the block used when the hat is made, the height of the crown, how it's styled, and hopefully not due to weathering/use.

Joel

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
It's all in the avatar...

Silvereed -- To understand taper, look at the woman's hand in your avatar. Now follow the line of her hip upwards and observe how it curves in...Wow, never knew I was such a big fan of taper...:D

Cheers,
JtL

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Just wait till you favorite hat has to dry out in a warm room. Next time you put it on you'll look like Zippy The Pinhead.
zippy_the_pinhead.gif

AdmiralTofu

One of the Regulars
Fletch said:
Just wait till you favorite hat has to dry out in a warm room. Next time you put it on you'll look like Zippy The Pinhead.

Fortunately I've never been caught in a heavy rain with any of my hats yet, but when this does happen... how to prevent the taper from happening as the hat dries out?

(Rest of question retracted -- answered in another thread.)

-Tofu

(Postscript: yay! I'm off the newbie list!) :beer:

Earp

One of the Regulars
Admiral Tofu's Question

AdmiralTofu said:
Fortunately I've never been caught in a heavy rain with any of my hats yet, but when this does happen... how to prevent the taper from happening as the hat dries out? /QUOTE]
AdmiralTofu said:

Did you get an answer to this query? I'm very interested. Do we need to buy hat blocks? If so, how are they used in these situations?
Thanks for any info.
--Wyatt--

Earp

One of the Regulars

As you can see in my current avatar, my 20 year old Outback has developed this problem over the years. I'd like to learn how to restore it to it's former glory, but perhaps keep some of the old look ;)

(I need to get some pics of me in my new hats)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner