Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Teas-Maid or is it Teas-Made?

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Wonderful little gadget,that sits on your night-stand, and gently awakens you at a prescribed time, in the Morning, with a pot of your favourite brew, it all works with steam pressure!!

You fill the kettle part with cold water, the night before, and then at the chosen ungodly hour, it boils the water transfers it to the teapot and sets off a buzzer alarm, and the clock face lights up (although you can be woken up by the boiling water noise)

Sorry to say that I have lost the lid to my kettle so mine is out of action for a while, ill have to go to the kitchen and make a pot of "Russian Caravan" and scurry back to my bed with it at 5.00 am!

Does anyone have any ideas as to where I could get a replacement lid made? what sort of tradesperson could make one up?...... the "Goblin Teas-Maid " type lid does not fit, by the way

3437030811_69333c9f5c.jpg

3437049073_bbf5b6518f.jpg

3437040095_b2664e11e3.jpg

3437829710_edbdf26bd6.jpg

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Our 1935 Army and Navy catalogue describes it as a "Teesmade" Automatic Morning Tea Set.

The tray model retailed at £5 5 0 and the cabinet model at £6 6 0, but none quite so shiny and chromatic as yours! I can't help on where to find a replacement lid though, sorry.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Tea By Electricity

Thanks for your post Miss Sis, I'm Guessing the one in your catalogue may be a "Goblin" I've done some digging around, and mine is a Hawkins c1955

"Compact and elegant tea maker. Black stove-enameled base with three equal height units in matt/brushed chrome-plated brass - clock with black face, two rectangular canisters for kettle and teapot. Semi-circular chrome-plated tube arches from kettle to pot. Angular black phenol plastic handles and lid knobs. Stylistically orphaned - geometric style looks Art Deco/Modernist but materials/finish are too late, but too early for 1970s high tech aesthetic."

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.linnell/sso/tea.html

Also Hawkins nowadays make pressure cookers and there is a place here in town that does repairs to these appliances so i'm guessing they may be able to help me, or no of someone who can make a one-off lid for the kettle part

http://pressurecooker.com.au/spare-parts.asp

Teasmaid

New in Town
OH MY!

I have been searching for this model for YEARS!! Where on earth did you get it? And, would you be willing to part with it? I have a large collection of Teasmades and this would help with completion.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
I spoke to the folks about this and they suggested Teas Maid. Because it was like a maid making it. Naturally you could then ask someone:
"Who makes your tea in the morning?"
Following their response you could reply.
"Oh our Maid makes ours!" Ah the illusion of having servants.

I did wonder what would happen, when you had just got one, if you forgot you had a teasmaid and then, when the buzzer went off, you tried, in a dozey state, to slap it off like a tradition clock. A chap could get a nasty scold on his hand!! :eek:

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Interesting you say a 'Hawkins' model. My ex-boyfriend, whose surname was Hawkins said his Grandfather was supposed to have had something to do with the TeasMaid (or however you want to spell it)!

However, supposedly someone stole the idea off him. I never got to the bottom of the story though. If it was about in the 1930s then he was too young to have come up with the idea anyway. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland