Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Telescope crown to tear drop

Pastorearp

New in Town
Hello everyone,
I wanted to ask those with experience here about reshaping a hat with a round telescope crown into a front pinch tear drop.
I am considering getting the Akubra “the boss” hat because I like Akubra and I like the brim width and brim shape on this hat. But I don’t really like the telescope crown. The crown is said to be 4 inches. I was thinking that it might not be too difficult to change it to a front pinch tear drop.
What do you think?

CRH

Call Me a Cab
I think you'd be better off with a different hat. That Boss is quite tapered and would not lend itself well to a descent teardrop. I have the Cattleman and Tablelands that come in teardrop.

Hello everyone,
I wanted to ask those with experience here about reshaping a hat with a round telescope crown into a front pinch tear drop.
I am considering getting the Akubra “the boss” hat because I like Akubra and I like the brim width and brim shape on this hat. But I don’t really like the telescope crown. The crown is said to be 4 inches. I was thinking that it might not be too difficult to change it to a front pinch tear drop.
What do you think?

Pastorearp

New in Town
I think you'd be better off with a different hat. That Boss is quite tapered and would not lend itself well to a descent teardrop. I have the Cattleman and Tablelands that come in teardrop.
Thank you. I have the cattleman and also the snow river. But I was wanting something with a little larger brim like 3 1/2 inches or maybe even 3 3/4.
4 inches is too much brim for me.
I was also wanting the western shape brim like the snowy river. The boss seems like that in the pics I have seen anyway. But I had not thought about it being to tampered to make a good tear drop. Thanks for pointing that out.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, 4 inches requires a Bowie knife or some kind of sharp tools anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_20240427_203316531.jpg
    IMG_20240427_203316531.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20240427_213615019.jpg
    IMG_20240427_213615019.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26

Pastorearp

New in Town
Thanks. I have the cattleman and also the Snowy River. But I was wanting an Akubra with the western shape brim like the snowy River but a little wider. Like 3 1/2 or maybe even 3 3/4.
I know they have 4 inch brim hats but that seems a little too wide for me.
From the pics I have seen the Boss looked like it might be what I am looking for but I don’t care for the telescope crown. But I had not thought about it being tapered and that keeping it from taking a tear drop well.
Thanks for making that point.

Hello everyone,
What do you think?
To produce a decent teardrop you need at least 1 to 1 /4" from open crown to finished product. I doubt you have enough crown height to deal with in the original telescope crown.

Likely you would end up with a very low crowned teardrop. The other issue is the stiffness of the Akubra hats. The creases are pressed in by machine with heat/steam and usually are deeply imprinted. Without a proper block it may prove impossible to fully rid the telescoped bash. It would be a risk...it just comes down to how willing you are to take it on.

Pastorearp

New in Town
To produce a decent teardrop you need at least 1 to 1 /4" from open crown to finished product. I doubt you have enough crown height to deal with in the original telescope crown.

Likely you would end up with a very low crowned teardrop. The other issue is the stiffness of the Akubra hats. The creases are pressed in by machine with heat/steam and usually are deeply imprinted. Without a proper block it may prove impossible to fully rid the telescoped bash. It would be a risk...it just comes down to how willing you are to take it on.
Thank you, that is helpful. I am leaning towards rethinking this option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass