Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tennis Attire

Canadian

One of the Regulars
This might seem like a dumb question, but when one is playing tennis, what does one wear?

I typically wear cotton shorts, a white cotton polo and if it's cold out, a cricket sweater.

What is the vintage answer to a warmup suit?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
The vintage answer to a 'warm up' suit would probably be the trousers referred to as 'blanket bags': loose fitting, fluffy trousers made from blanket cloth. These were widely used by rowers and examples can be seen in the 'Oxford bags' thread.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
What is the vintage answer to a warmup suit?

White flannel trousers were popular for play:
rene-lacoste-02.jpg

Blazers and polo coats were worn pre and post match:

22the-four-musketeers22-jean-borotra-jacques-brugnon-henri-cochet-renc3a9-lacoste.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 818

Canadian

One of the Regulars
When did shorts become part of the correct dress. At my club, virtually everybody wears shorts, often a nylon weave. I typically wear cotton shorts, because it allows me to put some balls in my pockets. People who are wearing long sleeves are wearing nylon track suits.

I find that as my club is only open during the warmer months, it's important to take advantage of the nice weather and wear shorts.

The image of men wearing a blazer and polo coats is interesting. I have seen some people wear sweaters off the courts, for example as they wait for their friends to arrive.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I've watched Wimbledon, as in the entire tournament as much as televised, every year since the late-70s, and I don't remember anyone until Roger Federer bringing back the sweaters and sportcoats pre/post match. As part of his Nike/RF clothing line, they sell both the sweaters and sportcoats. Bjorn Borg, John McEnroe, Jimmy Connors, and the other 70s and 80s cast of players may have worn sweaters at one time, but that was more about the evolution of fabrics than about fashion. They mostly wore sweatsuit attire from what I can remember.

I prefer cotton shorts and a T-shirt. I've never been too formal about it. It's all about function. Shorts that are both loose-fitting and that have pockets big enough for two tennis balls on a side (my left, since I'm right-handed). I put a lot more effort and time shopping for shoes than I do the clothing. Happy feet are good feet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR