Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Terminology: US vs. UK - 1942

Hal

Practically Family
...but when you're talking about a motor vehicle of the lorry kind, on the road, it would equally likely be called a truck as a lorry, no?
Increasingly so (just as "freight-train" seems to be displacing "goods-train", to my annoyance) but not, I think, equally. The drivers of these vehicles, in my experience, always call themselves lorry-drivers, not truck-drivers.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
yeah, yeah, but when you're talking about a motor vehicle of the lorry kind, on the road, it would equally likely be called a truck as a lorry, no?

It would more likely be called a wagon by those in the business. A good few decades ago now my father was involved in that trade and what we now call a loading bay was known as the wagon hauling way. Or just the hauling way.

Last edited:

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Canadiana and Australia are both in the Commonwealth. Yes. But we don't use lorry (at least, not down here. Not sure about up north).

And FYI: A large grain of salt is known as a 'corn'.

I was refering to an earlier quote which reads as follows:

Wikiepdia gives some clarification on truck and lorry. It states truck is used in US and Australia, and lorry in Britain and Commonwealth countries:

This suggests that "lorry" is used in Commonwealth countries, either all or most, while truck is suggested to be used in the US and Australia. So the obvious concern is that the writer was suggesting Aussie wasn't in the Commonwealth, and less obviously that Canada, a Commonwealth country used lorry. We are and we don't, we use truck.

As for this comment:

"And in Australia, we never tip. If we do, then there's a tips-jar at the cash-register/front counter. But we never tip in the bill. EVER. And I wouldn't bother doing so anywhere else in the world. The first time I went to the 'States (about 1997, I thnk), and encountered the tipping culture, was a big shock."

It is my understanding that in Australia, wait staff get a decent wage, that is, the same minimum wage as anyone else.

You may not know that in North America, wait staff often have a statutorally LOWER, MUCH LOWER, minimum wage, in the expectation that they will receive tips (which are declarable and taxable).

So don't be surprised if you insist on using Australian customary practice in North America, and are then considered a jerk for stiffing the waitress or waiter!

When in Rome, as they say...

MikeBravo

One Too Many
The Wikipedia quote does seem to be poorly worded, however anyone who knew Australia was part of the Commonwealth would understand the meaning. Just semantics, really. I haven't hear the word "lorry" used to describe a truck since the 60's in Australia.

I'm not sure where that tipping quote comes from, I can't find it in this thread. I can assure you, most Australians travelling overseas are aware of the custom of tipping in other countries and would act accordingly. Doing otherwise would indeed be rude (unless the service was very poor, of course). Personally, I think tipping in place of a fair wages is pretty unfair, especially in an economic downturn when customers are lest likely to tip.

Personally I usually tip waiting staff by adding extra on the bill or leaving change. This is for table waiting staff, not for people behind the counter (unless there is a tip jar).

MikeBravo

One Too Many
To me, I check to make sure that I haven't lost my keys.

I write a cheque if I need to pay for something.

If I need to pay for a meal, then I ask for the bill.

And in Australia, we never tip. If we do, then there's a tips-jar at the cash-register/front counter. But we never tip in the bill. EVER. And I wouldn't bother doing so anywhere else in the world. The first time I went to the 'States (about 1997, I thnk), and encountered the tipping culture, was a big shock.

Found it! (see above post)

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Post no. 28 from Shangas talks about tipping habits.

The Wikipedia quote does seem to be poorly worded, however anyone who knew Australia was part of the Commonwealth would understand the meaning. Just semantics, really. I haven't hear the word "lorry" used to describe a truck since the 60's in Australia.

I'm not sure where that tipping quote comes from, I can't find it in this thread. I can assure you, most Australians travelling overseas are aware of the custom of tipping in other countries and would act accordingly. Doing otherwise would indeed be rude (unless the service was very poor, of course). Personally, I think tipping in place of a fair wages is pretty unfair, especially in an economic downturn when customers are lest likely to tip.

Personally I usually tip waiting staff by adding extra on the bill or leaving change. This is for table waiting staff, not for people behind the counter (unless there is a tip jar).

Nigel

One of the Regulars
The drivers of these vehicles, in my experience, always call themselves lorry-drivers, not truck-drivers.
I beg to differ, I call myself a truck driver:D however I am rather fond of Americanisms but surprisingly quite a few drivers call themselves truck drivers. Probably a generational thing as the older guys always seem to call themselves wagon drivers.

Hal

Practically Family
...however I am rather fond of Americanisms...
And I avoid them like the plague!
...Probably a generational thing as the older guys always seem to call themselves wagon drivers.
I'm sure you're right here. The older men ("guys" indeed!) certainly called the vehicles wagons.

Last edited:

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
And I avoid them like the plague!
I'm sure you're right here. The older men ("guys" indeed!) certainly called the vehicles wagons.

I'm amazed anyone in Britain would embrace Americanisms. I recall a conversation many years ago now, a visit to England with my father in 1987. While visiting my dad's cousin and her husband, he (cousin's husband) bemoaned the fact that Britain was swamped with every American cultural or economic fad. "Something big happens over there, six months later we're living it!".

I wish I had a camera to record his expression when I, a Canadian, said "Six months? Where I'm from it's six hours...".

We can enjoy Americanisms like we enjoy wildlife. From a safe distance!

Like, whatever.

The supposed influx and obsession with Americanisms is blown out of all proportion. Britons seem generally to be unrepentant Americophiles, at least matching the extent to which Americans fetishize the UK, and that can be nothing but a good thing that should be applauded. If only they would be as interested in countries and cultures that don't speak English, Britain would be a better place in which to exist.

Hal

Practically Family
Britons seem generally to be unrepentant Americophiles...If only they would be as interested in countries and cultures that don't speak English, Britain would be a better place in which to exist.
Absolutely right - and the majority nation in these islands also needs to be aware of the other indigenous nations and cultures here.

ron521

One of the Regulars
Other motoring terms which differ include:
Windshield in the US, windscreen in Britain.
Hood (the cover over the engine) in the US, bonnet in Britain.
Fender in US, mudguard (or rarely, wing) in Britain.
Wrist pin (part which joins piston to connecting rod) in US, gudgeon in Britain.
Wrench (a tool for turning a nut or bolt) in US, spanner in Britain.
Gasoline in US, petrol in Britain.
Oil pan (lower part of engine where lubricant is stored), sump in Britain.
Lifter (part which is raised by camshaft to open valves) in US, tappet in Britain.
Generator (makes D.C. electricity to charge battery) in US, dynamo in Britain.
Shock absorber (usually shortened to "shock") in the US, damper in Britain.
Muffler in US, silencer in Britain.
Defroster in US, Demister in Britain

Last edited:

Nigel

One of the Regulars
Britons seem generally to be unrepentant Americophiles, at least matching the extent to which Americans fetishize the UK, and that can be nothing but a good thing that should be applauded.
I am that soldier and I am unapologetic for it, it's what I am. I must confess though I really hate the term "whatever" and never has it passed my lips.

Broadcast (US) = Transmission (UK)
Underwear (US) = Smalls (UK)
Briefs (US) = Y-Fronts (UK)
Laundromat (US) = Launderette (UK)
Realtor (US) = Estate Agent (UK)
Appraiser (US) = Valuer (UK)
Bookie or Bookmaker (US) = Turf Accountant (UK)
Anchorman (US) = Newsreader (UK)

And while the US only has Lawyers, the UK has Solicitors and Barristers.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I wasn't aware that anybody still used the word "smalls" anymore. I always thought that was a rather antiquated term? "Undewear", "Undergarments", "Undershorts", and variations thereof, maybe. But "smalls"?

That one is news to me.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
'Bookie' is probably the most widely used term in the UK. I don't think I have ever heard anyone say they are going to spend lunchtime in the 'Turf accountants', always the 'bookies'. I'd say it has been the same for a long time.
Shock absorber in the US, damper in Britain.
I've never heard anyone use the term 'damper' in the UK. I've only ever heard it in Germany, when my 'Stoßdämpfer' broke on the first day of a holiday.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
'Bookie' is probably the most widely used term in the UK. I don't think I have ever heard anyone say they are going to spend lunchtime in the 'Turf accountants', always the 'bookies'. I'd say it has been the same for a long time.

I've always called it the 'betting shop'.

Ed

Familiar Face
Parking lot (US), Car Park (UK)
Take Out (Food, US), Take Away (Food, UK)
Sweater (US), Jumper (UK)
Cookie (US), Biscuit (UK)

In Canada, at least in Ontario, they often use "serviette" for table napkin.

And of course Americans say Prahgress and Prahject rather than the British Prowegress and Proweject.

Last edited:

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I thought we just called shock absorbers "springs" or "suspension". I'm not a motor vehicle enthusiast (very much the opposite, in fact) so I'm not entirely certain.

From a mechanical point of view, the springs are just a part of the suspension system. The suspension system includes springs-coil, leaf & other types, shocks, control arms both upper & lower as well as properly inflated tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner