Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Text for the fedora brochure, pt. 1

artboynyc

New in Town
OK, folks. Here’s the first draft of the text for the brochure. I want to keep the prose as down to earth as possible. A custom hat is a premium purchase, but I want this to provide information, not the hard sell. The old modifier bop (“Luxurious, beautiful and elegant, this timeless classic of a hat resounds with luxury,�) gives me a toothache. The less this reads like a Neiman-Marcus catalog, the better.

It’s possible – likely, really – that I’ll want to cut the text when I start the illustrations. If done right, the illos should make some of the text redundant. But I want to make sure that what I’ve got now is at least accurate. I’m trying not to dwell on the negative (ie, I don’t want to write how greasy rabbit fur is) or waste time on the trivial (does anyone but me care that Sarah Bernhardt was the person who popularized the fedora?)

I’m worried that I’m spending too much space on the making of a hat. On the other hand, understanding how material- and labor-intensive hat-making is goes a long way toward justifying a $200-500 price-tag.

Incidentally, I’m not sure if I’m going to use the chapter titles I wrote in here; I just wanted something in place to identify the section breaks.

I’m also not so sure that I want to keep the page breaks as I’ve indicated. There’s no problem if you want to keep this on your website as a downloadable PDF, but if you want to print it and maybe use it as a mailer, page 12 should probably have nothing on it but room for address info and mailing labels. (With that in mind, I think the dimensions of the page should be 5.5� x 8.�) I’ll take your advice as to what you’d like to see cut.

If I’ve left anything out of importance -- or gotten anything wrong -- just post a comment.

“TK� means “To Come, � just an old bit of journalism-ese.

***************************************************************************************

Page 1. The fedora
[Illustration TK]

Pages 2 -3. Making the fedora
[Illustration TK]
A fedora – the name comes from an 1882 play by Victorian Sardou – is any soft-crowned hat with a snap brim. The strongest, longest-lasting felt fedoras are made from 100% fur felt. (Wool felt shrinks and discolors in the rain.) Beaver fur is the most desirable: because beavers live in cold weather and spend their lives in the water, their fur makes felt that is strong, dense and naturally water resistant. Other high-quality felts are made from nutria (a Latin American animal similar to beaver), wild hare and rabbit.

From start to finish, creating a fedora can take over seven months. First, fur is mulched and soaked in hot water to create a cone of felt. The felters dip this in scalding water, knead it like dough, wring it out and saturate it with steam again and again over several days. Then they dye it and leave it to dry in a temperature- and humidity-controlled room for several months. By the end, the three-foot tall felt cone has contracted into a tough, supple, water-resistant one-foot tall hat body. Only then is the felt ready to be sent to a master hatter. [Illustrations TK]

The hatter soaks the felt in hot water, stretches it taut over a hat block (a piece of solid wood created just for that purpose), clamps it to the block to create a crown, soaks it again, tacks down the loose felt at the bottom to form the brim, removes the clamp, steams away any marks and irons the brim flat. After pulling out the tacks, he mists the felt with alcohol and “singes� it, burning off any long hairs. Then the “pouncing� begins – the hatter sands and re-sands the inside and the outside of the felt with gradually finer grits until he’s perfected the surface. If necessary, the felt will be treated with stiffener at this point. [Illustrations TK]

It’s in the final steps that a hatter gives the fedora its distinctive look: he cuts and “flanges� (steams and shapes) the brim, sews in the sweatband and liner, “bashes� (creases) the crown, and attaches the ribbon and whipcord. All this is done by hand. [Illustrations TK]

4 -5. Signs of quality
A fedora’s felt should look and feel dense, rich and supple. No stray hairs should ever be visible (although some hats are intentionally left with a long-haired surface). [Illustration TK]

The flexible leather sweatband should just “bell� (flare) over the edge of the break between the crown and the brim. The sweatband is traditionally closed by a bow in back. Some hatters even create a “floating bow,� a bow held on with no visible stitching. The satin liner should be sewn in. [Illustration TK]

The crown of the hat, either bashed or unbashed, should be even and symmetrical. [Illustration TK]

The ribbon should be taut all the way around the base of the crown, resting right on the break, unless there is a windcord, which should sit precisely below the ribbon.

Quality hats should weather the rain well. The brims of cheaper hats may warp may wet, and their crowns may taper at the top, or the hat could shrink altogether. If this happens, don’t hesitate to return your hat to the vendor.

Master hatters may offer brims with a banded edge [Illustration TK], a welted edge [Illustration TK] or a whipstitch edge, although many fine hats are left with a raw (untreated) edge. [Illustration TK] (Note: I think I’d like to leave out the Cavanaugh edge here, since it’s only available on vintage hats.)

More in pt. 2...!

artboynyc

New in Town
Text, pt. 2

6-7. Popular styles

Most fedoras are either center-creased [illustration TK] or C-crowned [illustration TK]. Many are pinched at the front to form side dents. [Illustration TK]

The Bogie is an untapered medium-crowned, center-creased fedora with a welted 2 ½� brim. This hat is a good fit for men with narrow shoulders. [Illustration TK]

The Indy is a tall-crowned hat with a center-creased, untapered crown and a wide, “dimensional� brim (wider at the front and back than at the sides.) [Illustration TK]

Another popular style is the Porkpie, a low-crowned fedora with an oval dent. Saxophonist Lester Young popularized the wide-brimmed (2 5/8�) style, while pianist Thelonius Monk favored the stingy-brim (1 ½�). [Illustrations TK]

The Madison Avenue Crash Helmet was part of the uniform of the advertising business for decades. It features a center-creased crown with no side dents and a narrow, conservative brim. [Illustration TK]

Although not technically a fedora, a homburg is a soft-crowned hat with a brim that has been flanged to curve gently all around. It is generally considered more formal than a fedora.

(Note: Anything else you’d like to see included here? An Open-Road model maybe? These are styles I knew off the top of my head, but I’m sure you know more.)

8-9. Care and feeding

Properly cared for, a fur-felt fedora will outlast you. To make it last a lifetime, keep the following in mind.

1) Don’t set your hat down on its brim. When you take it off, hang it on a peg or rest it crown-side down on a clean surface.
2) Dust your hat periodically with a wide piece of tape. If you don’t get rid of that dust, it will turn to mud when it rains.
3) When your hat gets wet, turn the sweatband inside out and rest the hat on it to dry. Never put a wet hat on a radiator to dry or it will shrink.
4) You can lightly steam your hat and gently reshape if it ever starts to lose its form. (This will also reactivate any stiffener in your hat.)
5) For long-term storage, keep your hat in a hat box with a cardboard insert to preserve the hat’s shape. Store it crown-side down with the brim turned up.
6) Have your hat professionally cleaned and blocked once a year or so.

10-11. Choosing a hat

To find out your size, measure your head with a tape measure above the ears [illustration TK] and then consult the chart below. [insert chart]

Vintage or new?
Some hat wearers swear by vintage hats. As far as they are concerned, modern hats are just plain inferior to hats from the good old days. Vintage hats, they point out, were made with care by hand, whereas new hats are churned out in factories. Also, vintage hats were workaday items that were built to be tough enough to weather daily wear. Modern hats are often throwaway items designed as “accessories.�

It’s true that there is something special about a beautiful vintage fedora. And vintage felt –which was made using mercury– does have a different quality than modern felt. (Hatters no longer work with mercury because long-term exposure causes neurological problems, such as “Mad Hatters’ Disease.�)

But keep in mind that not all hats from “the good old days� were any good. Time has winnowed out the junk; the only vintage hats that have lasted were the very best of their day. And finding a well-preserved vintage hat in the right style, the right color and the right size can be a challenge.

A modern hat by a master hatter can measure up to the best vintage hats. The craftsmen still in this business use the same tools and the same methods with the same attention to detail. The best modern felts use more beaver in their felt than most vintage hats ever did. Moreover, a custom hat from a master hatter will be made to fit your head, in the color you choose, in the style that you pick.

12. Hatter’s ad page [Text and illo TK]

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
"Vintage or new?
Some hat wearers swear by vintage hats. As far as they are concerned, modern hats are just plain inferior to hats from the good old days. Vintage hats, they point out, were made with care by hand, whereas new hats are churned out in factories. Also, vintage hats were workaday items that were built to be tough enough to weather daily wear. Modern hats are often throwaway items designed as “accessories.�

It’s true that there is something special about a beautiful vintage fedora. And vintage felt –which was made using mercury– does have a different quality than modern felt. (Hatters no longer work with mercury because long-term exposure causes neurological problems, such as “Mad Hatters’ Disease.�)

But keep in mind that not all hats from “the good old days� were any good. Time has winnowed out the junk; the only vintage hats that have lasted were the very best of their day. And finding a well-preserved vintage hat in the right style, the right color and the right size can be a challenge.

A modern hat by a master hatter can measure up to the best vintage hats. The craftsmen still in this business use the same tools and the same methods with the same attention to detail. The best modern felts use more beaver in their felt than most vintage hats ever did. Moreover, a custom hat from a master hatter will be made to fit your head, in the color you choose, in the style that you pick."

---------------------------------------
Pretty definative statements. I disagree with some though it's a good start... you find vintage hats across the spectrum, good and bad. The ones that stay around are the ones that were cared for and kept on the shelf in a box. The best don't always float to the top, many of them were worn to death because they were so loved.

Find me a modern felt that can take the punnishment of a vintage one and not shrink and I am sold. It's not nastalgia on my part, and you can ask my friends... It's just that modern felts don't hold up like vintage felts... just ask anybody on this forum who has a good vintage hat and see what they say when comparing it to the top of the line modern hats after 5 years.

A master hatter of today could probably match up to what a master hatter of yesterday could do, though it really depends on the materials used.

You should set your cowboy hat on it's crown and your fedora on it's brim.
Being a soft felt hat you can cause a flat spot on the top. The brim is loose and floppy on a propper fedora and sitting it on the brim should cause no harm. Also for a wet cowboy hat, turning the sweatband out may work fine, though with a soft fedora, turning the leather out can cause the brim to droop.

There are more things I'd like to cover with you, though I havn't much time right now.

Keep it up.

artboynyc

New in Town
Thanks for the comments!

I don't want to come across as being against vintage hats. You're absolutely right that it's not just the best ones that have lasted, but the best cared for. And of course there are raggedy vintage hats out there. Still, people are unlikely to seek out, or pay a premium for, vintage hats if they can see that they're already shmattes. I'll be happy to rephrase that section once I get some more input.

Still, if time hasn't weeded out the best from the junk than hats are unlike cars, bikes, tools, armor or any other man-made object for which there is a resale market. There is a reason that there are plenty of interested buyers for Borsalinos from the 1930s but not so many for Ford Pintos from the 1970s.

I especially appreciate your comments on hat care, as I've seen a lot of contradictory information on this. Some of the info I've gotten from hat shop owners, some from hat wearers, some off the web. The more definitive answers I can get, the better.

Thanks,
Tom

gandydancer

Familiar Face
Another question is do you really want to use those contemporary (today) slang terms for hat styles, or the correct (timeless) ones? Bogie? Madison Avenue Crash Helmet??? No one ever called a hat by those kinds of names before eBay. And while today all soft felt dress hats are often called fedoras, a fedora is actually only one particular style.

It was researching for an article about men's felt hats (mostly debunking a lot of nonsense on the web) that led me to this forum. I am still stalled at about 1500 words after 3-4 months of research (mostly from not being sure what direction I want to take). For what you are trying to do you do not need to do that much, but you should do a bit more than you have, and since you want the piece to represent hatters you really ought to talk to some of them. It takes a bit more than just enthusism.

Please don't take this as a put down, but as an attempt to help you clarify your thinking about what you are trying to accomplish. It is a great project idea, and well worth putting the effort into.

artboynyc

New in Town
Well, actually, the reason for posting this text at this site is to collect feedback from hatters as well as from hat experts. So all comments are appreciated!

The reason for putting this brochure together is put assemble a simple factbook about fedoras for potential purchasers. So yes, I'm comfortable using terms like "Indy," "Bogie," etc, because my assumption is that's what potential customers would be looking for. I can speak from personal experience those are pretty much the terms used by salesman in hat shops to their customers.

(Sidebar: while those names may be anachronistic, I first ran across "Madison Avenue Crash Helmet" in a Tom Wolfe essay from the 1960s, in which the character who used it was joking around about using such a dated term.)

Actually, the problem with writing something like this is that too much information could be off-putting. As you say, "fedora" right now covers pretty much any soft felt hat, whereas a fedora used to be distinct from say, a trilby (at least according to one source I've run across.) But it seems to me that a person browsing through a brochure who is hit with a three-paragraph treatise on the etymology of the term is unlikely to read further.

The way I see it, the person who's going to read this brochure is one who is for the first time considering spending $200 or more for a hat. Not a hat connoisseur, but a man -- or maybe a woman, no sexist I -- trying to figure out if buying one is worth the money. I certainly don't want to include anything innacurate or misleading, but this isn't a treatise.

In a way, this problem reminds me of when I first tried to start listening to jazz. I hung around the campus radio station and tried to pick up on what was going on, but every conversation seemed to segue into whether Coltrane hit his peak on Atlantic or whether his Impulse work was superior, and how Eric Dolphy influenced the latter period to the detriment of McCoy Tyner, which was just blither and blather to me. All I wanted to know was which five for-Pete's-sake albums I should start with. Once I was able to get a starting point, I did more research, formed my own opinions and spent way too much money on albums, just like I wanted to in the first place.

Incidentally, Atlantic, although it's hard to argue with "A Love Supreme."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy