Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thanks a lot, folks...

Harpo

New in Town
While innocently searching the net for a bowler (I'm a cowboy action shooter, and bowlers are late 1800's accurate), I notice "Fedora Lounge" comes up among the hits. Curious, I click on it - and spend way too much time perusing the posts and looking at the great pics. Just what I need, another pastime, but too late - I'm hooked.

I'm not really into period dress, but at 54 years old, I do remember and greatly appreciate quality worksmanship. I'm a big fan of old time radio (Fibber is my favorite), I collect old cameras, and for a living, I design and build trumpets. Here's a sample - my tribute to the 1930's Bach New York 7:

NY7.jpg

As I say, I'm not really into period dress. But I do like to scrounge through thrift stores, usually confining my searches to radios, cameras, and other technical type items. Today, inspired by some of the fine pics I'd seen on this site, I decided to take a look at the shoes in my local Salvation Army store. I'm kind of fussy about shoes, and hate the Chinese junk I find everywhere else, so I figured it was worth a look.

I settled on this pair:

brooks346.jpg

Great fit, excellent condition Brooks Brothers, made in US. I assumed they were fairly old, so I did a search, and this is what I found:

Cordovan Tassel Loafer

They're not old at all! But they are on sale for $548.00 :eek:

I'm sure they can be had for a lot less, but needless to say I am rather pleased with my $5.99 Salvation Army shoes, even though they're not vintage.

That's my introduction, and I look forward to spending some happy times here. Thanks for a great site!

Harpo
ps I still haven't found a bowler.

byronic

One of the Regulars
Welcome aboard! I found this place by accident whilst 'googling' something, and now it's like a second home. This place seems to be unique on the 'net- a safe haven from the modern world, a place where one can discuss ones interest in fashion and media from the golden age without the shallow masses having a giggle. In fact, I can't understand how it took me so long to discover it!
P.S- nice trumpet!:eusa_clap

just_me

Practically Family
Welcome Harpo. I found this board when looking for info on a couple of Fedoras I was going to sell on ebay. Been here since. (I'm not really into period dress either, but I love the styles and movies of the 20s-40s and I wear hats. :) )

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Our father's house has many mansions

There are a great variety of dimensions to this vintage interest world. You'll find a lot of people fascinated by some of the stuff you'll be able to contribute.
And may I predict that at some point in the not too distant future you'll get the little notion of maybe getting yourself a nice lid, and then you'll be off and running. ;) Welcome.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Harpo, your trumpet blows me away! (heh heh) I can honestly say I've never met anyone with such a unique talent.

I stumbled upon FL a couple of years ago but resisted posting until just a month or so ago (seriously! Look at the date I joined!) because I was afraid I would fall into the dreamlike vortex of vintage and spend too much time on the computer. Seeing everyone's vintage loves, reading the histories and expert research is like being in a room of like-minded friends who don't mind their shy friend piping in every now and then.

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
Harpo you'll find that some looks are just classics. Like your shoes.
You'll also find the desire to dress a 'little" vintage becomes addicting.
Welcome to the lounge.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gorgeous horn!

And of course, you can use that bowler for a mute, too! Do you play?
And the shoes put you up on the ranks of Awesome Thrift Shopper, so you'll fit right in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy