Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

That Finishing Touch

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Honey Doll said:
i have a very sweet little watch. It is rose gold and looks like a pocket watch. It still ticks, but is running a bit sluggy. I got it for only $25 on ebay.

Has anyone had a watch cleaned-- I think mine needs it. I inquired at a jewler for the cost and he quoted me $60-- I thought that a bit high. Can anyone comment on what it should cost to clean and oil a vintage watch.

Honey Doll

$60 is not a bad price at all.

I bought my husband an early 1950s Omega a couple of years ago for Christmas. We had it to have some type of repair done and then had it cleaned and basically "overhauled." I don't recall everything they did to it, but the total cost was around $350. It was a very reputable and knowledgable local jeweler where we had purchased my engagement ring, so I felt very comfortable with them. If you find someone who does a good job, the cost is worth it.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Thanks for the feedback on the watch overhaul (and your kind comment Caledonia!) Hmm-- better get that watch in before the price goes up!

Honey Doll

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a site that I found that has a decent selection of plastics and bakelite. They also have a lot of other goodies, all listed by era on the left side of the page. I'm having lots of fun doing searches for vintage inspired costume jewellery, really surprised by how many sites there are that offer "knock-off" jewellery.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Couldn't decide which......

I couldn't choose just one! This is part of my 50's Austrian Fruit collection and I wear them as a finishing touch on everything from my 40's and 50's vintage wear right through to my modern clothes and I love them with a passion!!!. (I don't wear them all at once though ;) )
Sorry it's not such a good pic the light was a bit bad.

DSCF0346-1.jpg

Daisy Buchanan

AllaboutEve said:
I couldn't choose just one! This is part of my 50's Austrian Fruit collection and I wear them as a finishing touch on everything from my 40's and 50's vintage wear right through to my modern clothes and I love them with a passion!!!. (I don't wear them all at once though ;) )
Sorry it's not such a good pic the light was a bit bad.

DSCF0346-1.jpg
Eve,
Those are sooo pretty! Thanks for posting them, you've just given me something to add to my list of accessories I wish I had! I'm sure they're not easy to find though. Quite lovely!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Thanks Daisy I've been hunting them down for many years now and they are becoming harder to find. You can get them off Ebay but the prices are high most places now.
I usually get one at Christmas and Birthdays now from my partner who is excellent at finding me stuff. (I think I must be spoiled rotten)
You never know though you may be lucky enough to come across one at a flea market, which is where I picked up my first.:)

Daisy Buchanan

As you can see, I'm spending a little too much time searching on line for some pretty vintage-y accessories. Im really lacking in this department so I'm on a mission to find a few pieces that I like. This store has some very beautiful Victorian Inspired pieces. Check out the first set. I'm not sure if I believe that this is real Tanzanite. I've done a lot of research on this stone. I got a ring with one at the begining of the year and had to research it so I made sure I bought the right thing. The price of this is really low, so I'm not sure of the quality of it. But, I get what I pay for. It is costume jewellery, so I can't expect the stones to be of high quality if they are in fact real tanzanite. Either way, the price is right and it is quite pretty. Now I just need a victorian dress to go with it! But, I know some of you ladies wear Victorian era pieces. This might be good for you.
Just to add to this, I did some more searching around on this site. Their pieces are all quite beautiful and they are having a HUGE SALE! I can't believe the prices. They were pretty low to begin with, and now they are between 30%-50% off. I can't say anything about the quality. I'm gonna order a few things, I'll let you know about them when I get them. But for now I'll recommend you gals who like accessorizing to check this place out. Very pretty, and low priced for such intricate sets.

maisie

Practically Family
Here is just a few bits that i have, i love the shell set cause it looks so hawaiian. I have quite a few different types of sweetheart pins, and other patriotic pins that go lovely with suit and dresses!

PA012482.jpg
PA012479.jpg

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Those are lovely Maisie. I especially like the red, white and blue pieces.
Your shells would look great with an orange or peach hawaiian dress.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Daisy, great website for the victorian jewelry. I could do some major damage to the pocket book in that place. Absolutely beautiful. :eusa_clap

dollfaced

Familiar Face
When my grandmother passed away my grandfather sent me her jewelry box full of rings,brooches,pearls,earings some with matching necklaces,braclets all costume jewelry some things she even made herself which is so special because she was so creative. Most of her stuff was very sparkly with rhinstones reminds of something marilyn monroe would wear. After i finish dressing i like to just pick out things to wear it makes me feel like i take her with me everywhere so she is still alive to me and is happy i am enjoying her things it also made me start buying more vintage jewelry anything with alot of sparkle is my favorite!

Daisy Buchanan

Maisie your collection is great....

Mystergal I couldn't resist some of those necklace sets! The prices were really good in comparison to the other places i found.

DollFaced it is so great that you have so many lovely sounding items from your Grandmother. I love items that have history to them. My Granny has put a few things aside for me to look at, I haven't gotten over there in a while to see them. I have a feeling most of her stuff is from the 60's which isn't really my thing, but I will probably take them anyway because they were hers. She is insisting that she has a closet full of clothes from the 30's and 40's but my mom has told me they are from the 70's and 80's. She's so cute, she just wants to give me things, so she's telling me they are from the era I like just to make me happy and she thinks I can't tell the difference! I don't want to take them because I really don't need from that era and I wouldn't know what to do with them once I got them home. Wouldn't have the heart to sell them. What I wouldn't do to have some of my other grandmothers accessories. From the pics I've seen, they were quite lovely.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
dollfaced said:
When my grandmother passed away my grandfather sent me her jewelry box full of rings,brooches,pearls,earings some with matching necklaces,braclets all costume jewelry some things she even made herself which is so special because she was so creative. Most of her stuff was very sparkly with rhinstones reminds of something marilyn monroe would wear. After i finish dressing i like to just pick out things to wear it makes me feel like i take her with me everywhere so she is still alive to me and is happy i am enjoying her things it also made me start buying more vintage jewelry anything with alot of sparkle is my favorite!
I love things like that, they become priceless because of the sentiment that goes with them. I too inherited some jewelry pieces, but unfortunately, my parents let me use them as play wear when I was younger, needless to say, they didn't last all that long :mad:
Daisy, I agree, those prices were very good, which is always nice :D

Daisy Buchanan

I received the necklaces I ordered from The Craft Works, and I am very surprised by the quality, especially since the prices are so low. I am very happy with what I ordered. Most of it is quite dressy, so I still need to find some cute little accessories for every day wear. I did find on another site where I found some very pretty pearl and rhinestone earrings that are small enough so they are not too dressy. Both places had great customer service and very fast shipping. The second store, Eve's Addiction, had a lot of glitzy knock off jewellery that my mom really liked, but I'm really not into. But they also had some very delicate and pretty pendants and earrings, if anyone is in need of them. There prices weren't bad either.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Thanks Rosie!:)
You can pick up some lovely fruity brooches that don't cost a great deal if you hunt about. There are some great 50's enamel pieces out there that are a bit easier on the purse.
Like I said to Daisy I picked up my first piece (the amber coloured peaches on the bottom right) for about $10 at a flea market.....so you never know when you may be lucky.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Net stockings

ok, maybe they're not considered a 'finishing touch' but they do make wearing a skirt or a dress look good....point is, wearing some today with my skirt and DANG! the dirty looks I'm getting! I don't even look close to looking like a hooker!:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw