Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

That hole above the pinch?

Warlock

Suspended
My grandfathers' fedoras developed holes above the pinch after many years of wear, and thereby became outdoor work hats, while they might otherwise be in good shape. I realize that I often lift my hats by the pinch if they have a very soft brim. Is lifting by the pinch the thing that likely causes these holes? How should a hat be settled on the head and then removed to keep it in good shape?

Warlock said:
My grandfathers' fedoras developed holes above the pinch after many years of wear, and thereby became outdoor work hats, while they might otherwise be in good shape. I realize that I often lift my hats by the pinch if they have a very soft brim. Is lifting by the pinch the thing that likely causes these holes? How should a hat be settled on the head and then removed to keep it in good shape?

Yes, that method of removing it will create a hole. :( The constant wear from your hand and the pinch of the felt wear a hole in that spot.
Remove the hat by the brim and not the crown. Two hands or one hand can accomplish this.

Regards,

J

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Yep, what he said.
I've got a Brent "adventurer" that has a hole in the pinch, as well as tears in the felt in the front and back from someone putting it on the "proper" way.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Dinerman said:
Yep, what he said.
I've got a Brent "adventurer" that has a hole in the pinch, as well as tears in the felt in the front and back from someone putting it on the "proper" way.

The proper way would be to put on and take off the hat without touching it at all. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou