Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 10 Commandments of Style????

Geesie

Practically Family
WildCelt said:
Bow tie with peak lapel, straight tie with notch lapel . . . when did this happen?

Right about when that was published. Anyone who says that straight ties belong on tuxedos should be ignored out of hand.

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
Geesie said:
Right about when that was published. Anyone who says that straight ties belong on tuxedos should be ignored out of hand.

Agreed. I also saw an article recently about how to buy a leather jacket. One of their tips? You are not Indiana Jones; no WWII brown bombadier jackets. [huh]

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
:eusa_doh: The wonderful thing about "fashion rules" is that everyone has different fashion, so non of them can ever work. Now granted, I like things that i would never wear because I'd be given the most bizarre looks ever, but everyone has their own tastes...like the sunglasses in my Avi, I LOVED those things....everyone I know hated them lol

ortega76

Practically Family
I can sometimes be fashionable but I always try to be stylish.

I find that fashion, by its very nature and definition, is fleeting and appeals to the masses.

Style is often unique to the person and can sometimes go against what is fashionable. Style needs to be maintained and sometimes "updated", but it knows when to say "no" to a trend.

I always think of a young lady I worked with, when one of the older ladies came into work and was wearing an "interesting" mix of styles. Sheila turned to me and whispered; "Fashion is supposed to be a Statement not a Question!" :eusa_doh:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Works for me SP! Those shoes are... ahem, luscious looking with the gray and pink. They look like ... chocolate. Love seeing the Pilates ball and the Bosu (sp?) in the pic too. Are you a Pilates man??
Slim Portly said:
This doesn't work for you?

DSC03494-CROP.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Perhaps this is a better one. I did a general web search on the
"10 Commandments of Style",
and this from GQ came up-
http://men.style.com/gq/features/landing?id=content_4327
Their first commandment is: Honor thy tailor
Number two: Thou shalt wear sneakers made for a man
Number three: Thou shalt invest in the right timepiece
Number eight: Thou shalt wear brown shoes- with nearly everything

I would disagree with the one about the socks having to match the suit though, at vintage and deco events many of the gentleman enjoy wearing fashionable socks. A subtle way of adding some flair to an outfit, like a tie.

QUOTE=Son_of_Atropos]I was browsing the "well-groomed male" section of msn.com's lifestyle area and came across the following link. The 10 Commandments of style: http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-look/well-groomed-male/staticslideshowgq.aspx?cp-documentid=10761270

N

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany