Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 1920 JAZZ SUIT

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
2686887730096423127DJsXbU_fs.jpg

This picture with the guy standing there in the suit's jacket and his boxers while displaying the trousers just struck me as really funny. lol lol lol

Jay

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Recycled from earlier posts, here are photos of vintage early 1920s "jazz" suits. Compare their cuts and silhouettes to those in Matt Deckard's catalog page at bottom:

su2.jpg

I wish I could find a suit that had a pattern like that. And without the skinny trousers. My legs look skinny enough as it is.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
That looks like a frock coat to me. From the caption, I wonder if that's Charlie Ebbetts, of OLDE Brooklyn Dodgers fame. Wonder if the shot has something to do with breaking ground on Ebbetts Field?
Yeah, that's Charlie Ebbetts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Charles_H._Ebbets_Sr.,_owner_of_Brooklyn_Dodgers,_circa_1915.jpg
According to this Wikipedia article, one side of Ebbets Field was on McKeever Place, which makes me wonder if Charlie bought the property from them.
Anyhow, that's all off topic.
I think it's a frock coat. Or a cutaway. I don't really know the difference.

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
The fellow on the left in that picture, whom dhermann1 has identified as Charlie Ebbets, is wearing a morning coat.

(The skirts of a frock coat are not cut away.)

Feraud

Bartender
The collar/sleeve treatment is interesting.
I have seen this on Victorian outfits and later on 60s(?) era tuxedos.
The more things change..

Dayonfire

New in Town
Vintage Who?

Call me crazy, but doesn't this look like something the classic Doctor Who would have stumbled out of the TARDIS wearing?

"Doctor...what, the?"

"What? Don't you like it?" Sly smile. "I'm 730 years old and I'm wearing the shortest fashion in history."

I have to say, I really dig it. I would wear it out to special funky dark bars where I write in the corners and people watch. Nice, ugly combination of 19th Century frock coat, mixed with Edwardian ginger.

Dayonfire

New in Town
I actually bought a brown, herringbone frock coat from Wahmaker, the Old West reinactment clothiers that I wear in the fall. It's too light a coat, but it actually looks pretty cool.

Okay, tired of talking to myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy