Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The 21st Century - What wouldn't you be without?

Harley Quinn

One of the Regulars
OK, We're all pretty much atavisms, but what would YOU not want to lose from the 21st Century?

For me

1) pardon my indelicacy - Moist toilet tissue
2) pardon my indelicacy part 2 - Soft toilet tissue
3) Decent indoor plumbing
4) The Internet
5) The mobile phone
6) The Microwave
7) The DVD player
8) Good dentistry
9) Antiperspirant deodorant
10) Oncology.

OK any more for any more?

Smuterella

One Too Many
aaah, but most of those things date back to fairly early 20th century.

Come to think of it though I can't think of anything invented recently enough to count as 21st?

I couldn't live without full fat coca-cola. I can go quite some time between drinking one but every now and then I NEED it. Not need, NEED.

Ummm, Knorr stock cubes.

The internet.

Lip balm.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I guess for as little as we know relatively, medical knowledge.

A lot of us would be dead without some of the things they've learned in just the past 50 years.....or even 8 years.[huh]

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Hmm. What couldn't I do without that has been invented in the last eight years? Nothing really, as I am older that eight I have lived up to the year 2000 pretty happily.

Everything on your list is FROM the 20th century.

What is it about the last eight years is so special to you?

And more to the point, how does it relate to the Golden Era?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
iPods are from the 21st Century, right [huh]

If so, that'll be my pick. I can listen to George and Gracie at work instead of all the whiners whose lives revolve around the place ;)

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
I'm not gonna think in whole centuries here, but these are things from the last 60 years I wouldn't like to go without. Or in other words, things that I would hate not having if I fell in a wormhole and was transported back to The Golden Age:

-Womens liberation.
-Equal right to eduction.
-Migraine medicine that works!
-Contact lenses.
-Soscial security.
-My own bathroom and an indoors toilet. (A scarce luxury in the good old days.)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Well, so far as innovations of the 21st Century are concerned, there isn't a single thing yet I couldn't do without -- and a great many things I *could* do without. In fact, there isn't a single thing I own that's purely of-the-21st-century. So far, I gotta say, said century has very much failed to live up to any of the hype. Flying cars and meals-in-a-pill indeed.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My Canon Digital Rebel XTi, look how far digital camera technology has progressed in just the last three years, let alone the last eight!

My iPhone. Love it! Indespensible!

My HD video camcorder. Try that technology eight years ago.

My 24" flat screen iMac. Editing photos has never been so much fun.

Podcasts, so much to learn and so little time and this helps.

Netflix - God Bless Netflix, why ever buy another DVD? It's like someone manages your collection for you, not to mention the films you can play immediately on said flat screen iMac for free!

HD televions! If it's not in HD, why watch it?

HD On-demand programming... see above.

The Fedora Lounge, for heaven's sakes!

jayem

A-List Customer
-iPod, for sure. I'm lost without it.
-Decent medication that actually works.
-Good indoor plumbing.
-Industrial strength, huge front-loading washers and dryers. Without those, laundry would be a whole days work!

Honestly, I think I could do pretty okay without the internet. I mean, not now since I know what it is... but speaking as it had never existed, yeah, I'd be fine. I didn't even get a computer until about 6 years ago anyways.

Now that I think of it, I think the world would be a happier place without the burden of cell phones. I swear, if I have to serve one more client while they chatter on their cell phone and try to talk to me at the same time, I'll yank it out of their hands and smash it! Or, let's not forget the idiots who believe they can manage driving and yakking away at the same time on these things. I also don't see the point in all the features on new phones. I don't need music on my phone, I have an iPod for that. I've had the same phone for... about 5 years now. It has calling, texting, and thats it. That's all I need.

In a way, I do believe I'm anti-technology on some things.

jayem

A-List Customer
Hemingway Jones said:
HD televions! If it's not in HD, why watch it?

Blah, apox on HD! I see no point in it, my television is fine the way it is. Now, in February of next year I'll either have to get a new compatible TV, or buy a special box for all my TV's to convert them. Greedy companies just want more money, I say.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
jayem said:
Blah, apox on HD! I see no point in it, my television is fine the way it is. ...Greedy companies just want more money, I say.
The difference between a regular television and one in HD is like the difference between listening to the symphony on tiny headphones and watching it from the center aisle of Symphony Hall!

Charbeau

New in Town
I love the internet. To think of all the people I've met and all the things I've learned in the last 8 years via the internet is pretty incredible. I would hate to not have it in my life.

Here are a few more:

-Disposable diapers and wipes (I mainly use cloth for my kids but these are great in a pinch!)
-Blow Dryer
-Stain removers that work
-Water filters

And my big confession:

World of Warcraft :eek:

Warbaby

One Too Many
There's nothing from the 21st century (or the 20th century, for that matter) that I couldn't live without, but I'd seriously miss:

The Internet
My Laptop
Digital Cameras
Photoshop

There are, however, a few things I wish had never been invented:

Television
Cell Phones
Airport Security

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
Well considering the my mother was the second person in our area to have open heart surgery in 1970, I'd have to say that the strides we have made in healthcare are the things we literally cannot live without.
And I'm not even gonna nitpick about the whole 21st century thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy