Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The A-2 v G-1 dilemma.

JamesFoster

New in Town
Today I visited a shop in North London that stocks a range of Schott jackets. After trying on various ranges in different sizes, it came down to the A-2 v G-1.

Here are some pictures:
A2SMantfrt.jpg

schott_g1tg_brown_01_536.jpg

They are both the same antique brown lambskin. They have almost the same cut. The G1 has the bi-swing under the arms and is a bit roomier. And the G1 has the naval navigator patches.
I chose the A-2. It is all about the leather and it's beauty and the style of the cut. Have I bought wisely? I only want to buy one or two jackets like this in my lifetime.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I much prefer the A-2 of the two jackets that you illustrated - much cleaner look.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
If in my neck of the woods, a shop had both of those for sale in my size, I would be going home with 2 jackets if I did not already own one or the other. I have a very nice A-2, have had it for over 30 years.....no G-1 yet, but still think about buying one eventually. The warmer collar seems appealing in winter weather.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Today I visited a shop in North London that stocks a range of Schott jackets. After trying on various ranges in different sizes, it came down to the A-2 v G-1.

Here are some pictures:
A2SMantfrt.jpg

schott_g1tg_brown_01_536.jpg

They are both the same antique brown lambskin. They have almost the same cut. The G1 has the bi-swing under the arms and is a bit roomier. And the G1 has the naval navigator patches.
I chose the A-2. It is all about the leather and it's beauty and the style of the cut. Have I bought wisely? I only want to buy one or two jackets like this in my lifetime.

I prefer the A2 style jacket. The second jacket is not really a G-1 as it lacks a mouton collar. Unless you are not bothered about accuracy I would not buy either but would recommend going for a high end repro from Eastman, Bill Kelso or Good Wear.

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
I prefer the A2 style jacket. The second jacket is not really a G-1 as it lacks a mouton collar. Unless you are not bothered about accuracy I would not buy either but would recommend going for a high end repro from Eastman, Bill Kelso or Good Wear.

The guy has already bought his jacket,,@ only looking for opinions of his a2..[huh]I think it looks great,the important thing is he is happy with it.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The guy has already bought his jacket,,@ only looking for opinions of his a2..[huh]I think it looks great,the important thing is he is happy with it.

Unless James Foster is specifically looking for greater accuracy, I see no reason why he wouldn't be happy with the A-2 that he bought as long as it fits him to his satisfaction. I think that the "G-1" illustrated in the second picture would be more similar to an AN-J-3. For my purposes, the patches would be a major disconnect unless I had an actual military issued jacket, which I had at one time (a G-1).

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The last thing that I want to do is stir up more debate on the A-2 accuracy issue. As far as I can determine, the ELC seems to be the most accurate A-2 reproduction in the UK, and the John Chapman (Goodwear) here in the USA. It is my impression that anything else probably falls short of the bar. HOWEVER, I have been more than satisfied with my Aero Bronco A-2 as a reasonable facsimile with its overall fit, very sturdy knits, and top notch construction. If the clock could be turned back 70 years and if current Aero A-2's were available, there is no doubt in my mind that Aero would be a legitimate source of USA military issued jackets, location in the UK not withstanding. Since Goodwear is located in the USA, perhaps that company stands virtually alone in that regard.

Anyhow, getting back on topic, the Schott A-2 antique brown lambskin jacket just purchased should be a very nice jacket for daily wear and would would be something nice to pull out of the closet to wear based on comfort, if nothing else. There is no question that Schott makes fine, well constructed jackets. Maybe not a home run with bases loaded, but definitely a home run!:thumb:

Last edited:
As you did, I'd go with an A2 for the first "vintage leather military style" jacket.
If you want to get a G1 at some point in time, I'd see if I could snag a real one in good condition...vintage pre 1960's with real mouton fur collar.
They are not that rare, generally cost less than a decent repro, and, at least in my experience, are built as good as or better than modern reproduction models and with better leather.

Re; the leather originally used on these jackets.....
A2's were made from horse hide, steer or goat hide.
M422's/G1's from goat hide.
These hides are strong, durable, last for a looong time.
Sheepskin is a lighter hide often used in the "fashion" leather apparel industry.
Soft, smooth, drapes well. Very comfortable. Generally not as sturdy as the others.
I love my sheepskin jackets, but am more careful with them. A sheepskin A2 would be cool!
I seriously doubt the vast majority of people will notice any differences between your new A2 in sheepskin and a "highly accurate" reproduction jacket made from one of the other leathers.

If you do get sucked into the "vintage" military jacket hobby, first off seek profesional help.
If that fails, there are lots of folks on various forums who can share their experience/recommendations with you.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
:arated: to what Jeff M just said and couldn't have expressed it any better myself. Sheepskin is more susceptible to tearing than other skins but very comfortable to wear. As of late, I have disciplined myself to grab my vintage black FQHH Aero Highwayman, which is still stiff, in favor of my Cooper G-1 that is more comfortable to wear at this time than the HWM. Thus far, I have resisted involving myself in the "vintage" military jacket hobby for fear of family reaction, if nothing else.:brick:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Yep, did mean to say "John Chapman at Goodwear." Corrected my earlier error. Gracias.:)

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
Yip,,thats what i thought,,@ if he is happy with it he has no need for a bill kelso,an elc or a goodwear,,,,

I was "happy" with my first leather jacket (a reasonably accurate Schott A-2) but then, through research, experience and lots of trial and error, I found numerous jackets that I liked much better. I ended up enjoying a jacket for a while and then discovering something that I liked even more.
Leather jackets are like pistachio's, you can't have just one!

That's the great thing about FL, sharing knowledge and opinions and upgrading from one jacket to the next.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo