Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Agents of F.L.A.S.K.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
The following dovetails nicely with the theory that the brain does not generate consciousness but, rather, acts as a ”filter” that only uses (let’s through) the level of consciousness that our physical bodies can use to survive and prosper.

At the end of the day, such thinking makes consciousness more fundamental than time and space.
I once answered a philosophy exam final by criticizing Aristotle's De Anima purely on Catholic doctrinal tenet,
thought I stood on solid ground and all, then had this atheist prof ream my arse with a blistering rebuke.
A Thomist I remain in good standing. Consciousness exists within and by existence of its predicate brain.
Panpsychism is circular dog tail chasehood inside another labyrinth of thought tenure.
And The John Templeton Foundation naturally sponsored.
The Bahamas is whence money is dry cleaned, laundered, ironed, and starched.
London also.

Tiki Tom

I am a bit more of a Cartesian, although that might just be the contrarian in me.

If consciousness is the foundational bedrock of the universe, that can only lead to God. If matter somehow generates consciousness, then perhaps an extra step is required. :)

Last edited:

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
I am a bit more of a Cartesian, although that might just be the contrarian in me.

If consciousness is the foundational bedrock of the universe, that can only lead to God. If matter somehow generates consciousness, then perhaps an extra step is required. :)
Cartesian agnosticism entwines divine perfectibility within somatic reality analogous with the soul, which in
doctrinal terms is the divine spark within humanity; yet innately independent the corporeal life host possessing
finite earthly tenure. Human conception logically in such tenet is inclusive with divinine bequeath, possessing
preternatural qualities by this unmediated occurrence as Aquinas posited.

Tiki Tom

Re: the nature of consciousness and where it comes from:
”People experience “new dimensions of reality” when dying according to ground breaking study.”

https://www.vice.com/en/article/pka...ality-when-dying-groundbreaking-study-reports

So, basically they attached wires to the brains of dying people as they were being resescutated, this is what they found.

They theorize that, during death, the brain goes through a period of “disinhibition” that enables connection with a higher or deeper level of consciousness.

These are scientists talking, not pot addled high school kids.

much more research required.

weird stuff!

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Re: the nature of consciousness and where it comes from:
So, basically they attached wires to the brains of dying people as they were being resescutated, this is what they found.
They theorize that, during death, the brain goes through a period of “disinhibition” that enables connection with a higher or deeper level of consciousness.
The actual frontier of medicinal science whether brain, cerebral cortex, or viral mutant strain is still within
somatic physical bounds, so conjecture based upon supposition as to physical death from a purely scientific perspective should accord factual bodily death itself; including the ''death rattle'' while stayed somatic realm.
Demarcation tarry outside this brings philosophical conject to fore; inasmuch like the aquatic divide betwixt
the Atlantic and Pacific seas wherein salt content halve oceans leveled off planetary tilt at 23.5* inside latitudinal velocity ordain spin; or Fibonacci retrace 23.6 38.2; 50; 61.8; and 100.00 from Golden Mean proof
remains impervious to doubt yet open to debate. But therein lies the supreme challenge posed mankind to acknowledge the existence set lay of Cartesian accorded perfection divine proof.

All this is extremely interesting to me personally and professionally as I analyze global market financial occurence here perched in London. My background is British Army Intelligence Corps by way of Cambridge
and after the service study at LSE, so everyone at work thinks I'm a Kim Philby MI6er turncoat for cash instead
of country but really I just lucked out leprechaun East Ender and Thomist with penchant for argumentative philosophy and debate.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
My background is British Army Intelligence Corps by way of Cambridge
and after the service study at LSE, so everyone at work thinks I'm a Kim Philby MI6er turncoat for cash instead
of country but really I just lucked out leprechaun East Ender and Thomist with penchant for argumentative philosophy and debate.
You're an East Ender, me too, but I never made it OxBridge, in fact I never got out of the East End. Queen Mary College, Mile End Campus was my limit. Nowadays I reside on the edge of The New Forest, right on The Hampshire/Dorset border.

Kim Philby, goodness me, that's going back a bit, I take it that you're not one of The Cambridge Five.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
You're an East Ender, me too, but I never made it OxBridge, in fact I never got out of the East End. Queen Mary College, Mile End Campus was my limit. Nowadays I reside on the edge of The New Forest, right on The Hampshire/Dorset border.

Kim Philby, goodness me, that's going back a bit, I take it that you're not one of The Cambridge Five.
Out Spitalfields box then a turn Trinity at Cambridge for law and such but never sat solicitors, so only silk
worn with the paras at Aldershot, then LSE for Keynes and Friedman. Now a City devil with the Cambridge Five
Cain scar because of regimental intel, alma old school tie-tinker tailor-soldier-spy so here am aye.

Bye the bye, I've seen the dash and splash pix posted. Right down to the floor with shoes, stick, tear drop shades.
Lucky man with your wife a skilled needle hobbyist. The New Forest is gorgeous sylvan.
Take some pix of the King's deer amidst all those crimson dappled oaks and maples please!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Take some pix of the King's deer amidst all those crimson dappled oaks and maples please!
new_forest_fallow_deer.jpg

King's Stag.jpg

The King's stag, as requested.

Tiki Tom

Yay! Time travel is —apparently— possible. And maybe you can change past events. Cooool.

https://thedebrief.org/scientists-s...th-a-25-chance-of-actually-changing-the-past/

Of course we at F.L.A.S.K. Have heard stories of people suddenly and unexpectedly finding themselves on a street as it existed several decades (or centuries) ago, only to return to modern times a few moments later. Such “time slips” are apparently not that unusual.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-9565865/Have-experienced-time-slip.html

Our investigations have dug up a lot of time slip stories, but the nature of these events make “proof” hard to come by.

Tiki Tom

Whoa!
Here is a mystery and an adventure and a treasure that I think (I hope) is close to being cracked.
I should also mention that there is a $1 million reward for the person who deciphers the ancient riddle.
Interested yet?

Background: The Herculaneum Papyri are a treasure trove of 1,800 scrolls found in the 1700s in a private library in the ruins of Pompeii. Problem: they are so scorched that they cannot be unrolled and read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herculaneum_papyri

However, problem 1 has been solved. Using computers and X-ray technology, they have succeeded in virtually unrolling the darned things (and you can access the results!). But they are still unreadable due to heat damage.

Scientist now believe it will be possible to decipher the scrolls if a sufficiently complex AI program is developed for the task.

Why it matters: if this succeeds, the results will more than double the number of complete ancient texts in our possession. Rumored works by the great philosophers and historians of old might emerge. unknown early Christian documents might surface. Classic plays and literature might be found. In short, it could greatly increase our knowledge of the ancient world.

Very exciting. What a treasure trove! Priceless.

Now a group of classicists and computer geeks has launched an effort to finally break into this lost tomb of ancient knowledge.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...f-these-roman-scrolls-from-pompeii-180981867/

Stay tuned. Somewhere out there, there is an otherwise un-datable nerd who is on the verge of rewriting history.

We have a winner! 21 year old wins $40,000. Not bad, kid!

https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7b...-old-mystery-in-world-historical-breakthrough

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Yay! Time travel is —apparently— possible. And maybe you can change past events. Cooool.

https://thedebrief.org/scientists-s...th-a-25-chance-of-actually-changing-the-past/

Of course we at F.L.A.S.K. Have heard stories of people suddenly and unexpectedly finding themselves on a street as it existed several decades (or centuries) ago, only to return to modern times a few moments later. Such “time slips” are apparently not that unusual.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-9565865/Have-experienced-time-slip.html

Our investigations have dug up a lot of time slip stories, but the nature of these events make “proof” hard to come by.
I doubt this phenom, truly tosh.

Tiki Tom

Over 1.6 tons of gold stolen from Toronto airport. That’s a lot of gold! Obviously, this heist required planning, logistics, a team of coconspirators, and smarts. The internet is already calling it an Ocean’s Eleven type caper. And, once stolen, I presume that gold will not be difficult to launder.

https://simpleflying.com/gold-heist...nto-pearson-international-airport-april-2023/

Although I’d like to dream that the job was pulled off by a sophisticated and classy team of International Jewel Thieves (Think Fred Astaire as Alistair Mundy), I suspect it was just a couple of airport insiders who knew the freight system well. Part of me —I know it’s wrong!— hopes they get away with it. It’s the romantic in me. ;)

Case update: So far, at least, it looks like the thieves have gotten away clean. Nothing for the victims to do but unleash their lawyers on each other. He he.

https://dnyuz.com/2023/10/21/how-17-2-million-in-gold-and-cash-disappeared-from-torontos-airport/

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Case update: So far, at least, it looks like the thieves have gotten away clean. Nothing for the victims to do but unleash their lawyers on each other. He he.
This incident fell on my desk as I professionally analyse global finance and spent time in British Army Intelligence. It's assumed Russian gold for payment while Moscow under sanction payment shipped this
sparkle out to cover debt. It gets better because of internal Kremlin corruption. MI6 and CIA concluded said
loss attrib internal actors Spetnaz who took possession lock stocksky.

I move we close F.A.S.K. file herewith.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters