Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Agents of F.L.A.S.K.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Tiki Tom

Well, it DOES seem like they are a significant step closer to resurrecting the woolly mammoth. (or elephants that are genetically very similar to woolly mammoths, if you want to nit pick.) Interesting how they will make them mostly tusk free to mitigate the risk of ivory poaching. Still… I have vague misgivings about this project. Just because we CAN do it, does not necessarily mean that we SHOULD do it. Or am I just being a party pooper?

https://www.newscientist.com/articl...oth-really-on-the-brink-of-being-resurrected/

Benny Holiday

Not party pooping at all TT. Years ago, wolves were moved out of Yellowstone National Park, and the entire ecosystem ended up on the verge of collapse. When the animals were finally reintroduced, the park started to flourish again. And these 'scientists' reckon they want to reintroduce tens of thousands of mammoth-like elephants into the arctic after they've been extinct for thousands of years? Yeah, i can see that working out real good.

As for the concept of genetically engineering a mammoth itself, originally there was only one elephant 'kind' that speciated into all the variants found in the fossil record (just as an original wolflike creature gave rise to all the canine types we see today, from coyotes to chihuahuas and great Danes, and an original cat ancestor speciated into everything from lions to the common house cat), so I don't think it's that big a leap in that sense.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Reestablishing the woolly mammoth is wondrous to think about; who wouldn't want to see a live one? But a mammoth without tusks is not a mammoth to me. And the discussion about reestablishing mammoths saving us from climate change, as the article asserts, is bovine scat and makes the whole article too far-fetched to believe. And that's a shame, in a way. I'd like to see one! ;)

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
Oh, good lord. This is a F.L.A.S.K. wet dream come true! Lost Spanish Treasure. There are dumpster loads of it yet to be found.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...k-caribbean-gold-treasure-found-b2505134.html
Extraordinary find. As everyone wants to dutch uncle wedge themselves in for a slice of that pie, as a Briton I say
the Royal Navy should claim the prize galleon and its booty. We sunk it fair and square.
And didn't I read all that tosh about these laggards aren't interested in all that loot. Rubbish they aren't. Right.
We'll take all of it mates and leave bare bones History to these scoundrel saints.:cool:

Tiki Tom

Well. After much investigation of this topic, I think there is something to it. There does seem to be a connection between consciousness and “reality”. That said, the influence, though statistically significant, seems to be pretty weak. Additionally, it is generally hard to make predictions based on this phenomenon. So what good is it? On the other hand, this hints that we have a long way to go before we understand the true nature of reality. Is it “woo woo” or something that deserves further research?

Some politicians want to get rid of beef & dairy cattle, blaming the methane gas cattle produce for global warming. I wonder how much methane gas a continent full of plant eating wooly mammoths would produce?

Tiki Tom

Physicist claims he has cracked time travel.

https://www.earth.com/news/astrophysicist-says-hes-cracked-the-equation-for-time-travel/

Have we learned nothing at all?
Before galavanting through time, we need to ask the philosophical and timey-wimey questions. What happens if you accidentally step on that butterfly? Is it possible to go back in time and kill your own grandfather? What strange historical ripples would occur if you killed baby Hitler in his crib? If the past solidly exists somewhere, does the future also solidly exist somewhere? Is free will therefore an illusion?

Regarding Princess Kate’s cancer; before diving into all these classics about 19th century aristocracy (Pride and Prejudice, Anna Karenina) I didn‘t bother to think much about the royals. Now I do find myself paying attention and sympathizing. Have the classics expanded my horizon? Anyway, I wish Kate and her father-in-law all the best.

Regarding The all important issue of Mammoth farts, you make a good point. See above questions about messing with time’s intended outcomes. And don’t stand directly down wind. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner