Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Akubra Squatter

From Akubra Overload thread...

gtdean48 said:
Here are the Squatter's that I have/had with a diamond in the grey & teardrop in the browns. The widest ribbons I own...
p1010001-3.jpg

brsquat6.jpg
Figured I'd bring these over to the Squatter thread.
I sold the cutdown brown one on the left...

Sam Craig

One Too Many
tux pick

Great shots, Rooster!

The picture of Johnny Depp ... brown fedora with a tuxedo always reminds me of the George Gobel famous line >>>

"Did you ever feel like life is a tuxedo and you're a pair of brown shoes?"

Loved it then, love it now:eusa_clap

Karyl

New in Town
thank you. forgot to tell the color. it's moonstone, of course. :)
i really really like this color. i really love grey fedoras. a matt deckard would be interesting as well, but first I have to save up some money ;)

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Karyl said:
wanted to revive this thread again. and there's a reason for it. If you search thefedoralounge.com for "squatter" via google, you get to this thread. And since I was interested in an akubra squatter in moonstone, this thread, especially rooster's pictures, pretty much helped me.

To the story:Ordered it at davidmorgan.com 5 days later it arrived (I'm living in Germany(!) and I instantly began to LOVE this hat:

That brim flip suits you, Karyl. I see you are not going to let the Squatter boss you around. :D

Karyl

New in Town
CRH said:
That brim flip suits you, Karyl. I see you are not going to let the Squatter boss you around. :D

haha :) thank you. as you can see I'm not very tall and very slim, but I must admit, that I can really wear such "huge" hats, as the squatter. But I guess it's all about the self-confidence :D well.. and of course the bash and the snap xD

-> It's not what you wear, it's HOW you wear it lol

and yes: I like my long hair :p

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Karyl said:
wanted to revive this thread again. and there's a reason for it. If you search thefedoralounge.com for "squatter" via google, you get to this thread. And since I was interested in an akubra squatter in moonstone, this thread, especially rooster's pictures, pretty much helped me.

To the story:Ordered it at davidmorgan.com 5 days later it arrived (I'm living in Germany(!) and I instantly began to LOVE this hat:

that's how I got it (sorry for quality, just my mobile phone): . . . .

Regards,
Adrian.
Adrian, that Squatter looks fantastic! (If I remember my German correctly, the phrase would would be: Er steht Ihnen ausgezeichnet!)

Karyl

New in Town
Spats McGee said:
Adrian, that Squatter looks fantastic! (If I remember my German correctly, the phrase would would be: Er steht Ihnen ausgezeichnet!)

That was one perfect German sentence. You even thought of writing "Ihnen" with a capital "I". Well.. you don't do that anymore in Germany, but I prefer writing it that way - simply out of respect. But that's off topic, I'm very sorry :rolleyes: And thank you very much (or should I write: thank You very much. ?) :)

Spats McGee

One Too Many
:eek:fftopic:

Well, when I was a young'un learnin' German, we still capitalized stuff like that. I guess that got phased out along with the double s that looked like "B" (The Ess-zet?) in the Rechtschreibung movement in the late 90s. Was that what it was called? Frankly, I like it the old way.

Karyl

New in Town
Spats McGee said:

Well, when I was a young'un learnin' German, we still capitalized stuff like that. I guess that got phased out along with the double s that looked like "B" (The Ess-zet?) in the Rechtschreibung movement in the late 90s. Was that what it was called? Frankly, I like it the old way.

Yes, it was called the "Rechtschreibreform". But they change the Rechtschreibung all the time, it's really annoying to be honest. Noone really knows how anything is written - not even the teacher. And you still use the "ß" in words like "Weiß (White)" and in "Ich weiß (I know)". It's called SZ or sharp s.

But yes, yes. Enough off-topic. Let's go back to the original topic: the fact how awesome the squatter is :)

Regards,
Adrian.

PS: But it's still nice to talk to you. If you have any questions regarding the German language or other stuff, PM me; you're welcome :)

Karyl

New in Town
elvisroe said:
My old sqautter has been through the wringer many times amd is still hanging together...

DSCN3406.jpg

;)

You seem to have ninja children in your garden. You'd better watch out and always have a shuriken or two with you lol

But that says something FOR akubra hats :)

elvisroe

A-List Customer
lol
yeah gotta watch those blonde ninjas!
I'm actually on a walking stick at the moment after a running accident. It comes in handy for catching pint sized assasins I can assure you!

theinterchange

One Too Many
I've posted this photo around, but since we're discussing Squatters exclusively here, I'll add it to the queue.

4232037385_dbc5e1f8fc.jpg

For the curious, it's Carbon Grey.

It seems I reserve this hat more for dressier occasions than I intended when I ordered it. I guess it has to do with the fact that I don't wear many blacks or greys unless I'm in a more dressy casual environment.

Randy

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The Aussie Bush Hat

The squatter is the original bush hat out here. The film The Man from Snowy River encouraged people to wear cowboy type hats - so that the squatter began to disappear form the scene from teh early 1980's.

The squatter is often worn with a pork-pie bash, but 30 or more years ago I only ever saw them bashed like a fedora.

I've had one for 20 years and it has held up well. You don't see them around much any more.

They are pretty light and the soften up very quickly.

Over here a wide brim is great to combat skin canser.

GA Wildlifer

Familiar Face
Carbon Grey

Interchange,

Is your carbon grey squatter really as dark as it looks in your picture? I have been looking for a dark grey hat for a while and yours looks great.

I have a couple of great lighter grey hats including a stratoliner, but my wife doesn't like how they look with my increasingly grey hair.

Robert

theinterchange

One Too Many
GA Wildlifer said:
Interchange,

Is your carbon grey squatter really as dark as it looks in your picture? I have been looking for a dark grey hat for a while and yours looks great.

I have a couple of great lighter grey hats including a stratoliner, but my wife doesn't like how they look with my increasingly grey hair.

Robert

It's actually fairly chameleon, in certain light, it looks really dark, others a little lighter. I've noticed a consistently blue hue to it in any light.

I have a couple photos of the hat straight out of the box I'll add in a minute.

Randy

::EDIT::

DSC_3845.jpg

Here it is next to my Federation IV with flash
DSC_3908.jpg

And by itself with flash
DSC_3872.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran