Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Amazing Spider-Man.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
All right folks... most of us are aware of the Spider-Man film being produced currently. Many of us have seen the spy footage and photos, if we are in fact comic book fans. But I see no thread to discuss the film and with this most recent photo of Andrew Garfield in Costume as Spidey, I became rather excited about the film and would like to talk about it with anyone who's interested.

I would post the image I have, but it is so bloody big it takes up half a page, so enjoy the link folks.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/coolproduction/ckeditor_assets/pictures/657/original/AmSpideyBig.jpg?1297714401

Oh and the film will be titled "The Amazing Spider-Man."

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Sorry, I have no intention of seeing this one. I simply have no use for a younger, hipper reboot that's being made solely to milk more bucks from the franchise. It's MUCH too soon to be taking a new direction on Spider-Man - I enjoyed the Raimi/Maguire trilogy, and I don't feel the need of a new Spidey yet. (And of course, fiftysomethings like me are NOT the target audience anyway.)

That said, I have been impressed with Andrew Garfield in everything I've seen hiim in. And I'll surely eventually see the new film when it runs on cable...

Oh, and I might as well say this here rather than your other thread: I have no intention of seeing X-Men: First Class in a theater either. That series began well, but really went off the rails. There are definitely upcoming superhero flicks I'm interested in seeing theatrically - Thor, Captain America, maybe Green Lantern (though I didn't much like the look of the trailer) - but not these two.

HectorTorta

New in Town
It might be good, but it's definitely too soon for a reboot.

Sam Raimi has such a kinetic, distinctive style that I"m curious to see what another less campy director can bring to the franchise.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
New Spider-Man director Marc Webb's only previous feature film is (500) Days of Summer. Hardly less campy. (Don't get me wrong, I loved it. But it's stylistically all over the place.)

Before that, he did tons of music videos, so "kinetic" is likely still accurate...

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have no desire to see them either, Doctor Strange.

I blame Star Trek.
Success of that reboot aside, this trend of 're-imagining' 'refashioning' 're-envisioning' blah blah blah of established characters is saying to the younger audience, "We don't really want to even loosely abide by the attributes of this established character because that limits our 'creativity' so we will omit all that character dynamic and take the character in name only and make them do whatever we want even if it goes against the character's original personality."

This is different from just redoing a franchise, its just bootlegging a character as their own.
Why don't they just make new superheroes? Base isn't there. Why have the audience say, "This is like Spider Man," with new generic super hero X when you can take that old character in name only and have way fewer people say, "Spidey would never do that."

*sigh* Originality...
LD

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Between Hollywood and Broadway, old Spidey is really taking a drubbing.
I spoke with one friend who saw one of the preview performances recently who said two 12 year olds behind her had FALLEN ASLEEP. And I spoke with a gal on the subway last weekend who was reading her Spiderman playbill, and she said it was pretty bad. She said the songs were especially lame.
Poor Spidey.

Feraud

Bartender
Agree with all of the above.. too early for a remake, milking the old cash cow, re-boot=just film it again, etc. There has been a lot of understandably negative talk about the new costume based on the leaked photos.

Having said that I grew up reading The Amazing Spider-Man, Peter Parker The Spectacular Spider-Man, Marvel Team-Ups and will probably be there opening weekend.
Thank God it looks like Spidey's got mechanical webshooters back!

I love the new photo. Classic Spider-Man pose!
spiderman.jpg

Now where my villains at?

Feraud

Bartender
I mostly like what was done with the Doc Ock character and thought they neutered the Sandman character with all that horrible background story about the kid and being responsible for Ben Parker's death. So lame...

I'd like to see a Vulture or Scorpion and they should leave the emotional baggage at home. If I have to listen to one more bad guy pine over a lost loved one I am gonna freak. Give me good old fashioned Evildoers!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I guess Id like to see a serious exploration of Venom and the mental battle the entity has with its host(s). There could be some good stuff in that. I mean, there have been some successful villain imaginings, like making the Green Goblin a separate personality instead of him actually *changing* was a very good idea.

Also in X-Men, making Phoenix a separate personality within Jean Gray instead of a supernatural space entity possessing the psychic and being seduced by desire and emotion...snore. Sadly they did NOTHING with the character and rest of the movie was trite, but thats neither here nor there.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy