Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Art of Shaving store

davestlouis

Practically Family
I was killing time today, waiting for PF Chang's to open at 11, and stumbled onto The Art of Shaving store in a local mall. I'm not much of a mall shopper and haven't been in this particular one in about 15 years. Anyway, cool store, excellent-looking barber chair in the window (makes me want one to sit in at home), and they have a barber on staff who cuts hair and gives straight-razor shaves. Neat, overpriced stuff, but their heavyweight safety razor is calling my name.

I didn't know these guys had retail locations, it was a pleasant surprise.

By the way, PF Chang's was very tasty too, lettuce wrap appetizer, egg drop soup and some sort of spicy chicken with brown rice, with gallons of iced tea to wash down the spicy food.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Was it the General Chang's Chicken? I love that dish. Although normally I have white rice and drown it in soy sauce. :eek: The Mongolian Beef is my other favorite item on the menu.

Sorry. Back to your regular programing. :p

davestlouis

Practically Family
I don't recall which chicken dish it was...we were debating over several, and don't remember which we settled on. This may have ruined me for cheap Chinese food...it was GOOD.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Razor Man said:
AOS is owned by P&G (Gillette). A nice store to browse through but over priced.
Seems like yesterday that young couple opened the first store in Manhattan. Time flies.......

djhatman

One of the Regulars
They have one in Denver where my sister lives. I stopped in one time. The woman greeted me by asking " Do you practice the art of shaving?" I knew then I could not afford anything in this shop.

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
Dave - Lake St. Louis? My brother is in Arnold.
Anyway.. since this thread is about old time shaving articles, would you all have an affordable source (not cheap, I understand the difference between quality and just junk) but where do you all get your razors and supplies?
Thanks!
David

theinterchange

One Too Many
djhatman said:
They have one in Denver where my sister lives. I stopped in one time. The woman greeted me by asking " Do you practice the art of shaving?" I knew then I could not afford anything in this shop.

That's an umm overwhelming greeting, one that would make me uncomfortable, especially in a small, sparsely patronized shop.

Randy

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
theinterchange said:
That's an umm overwhelming greeting, one that would make me uncomfortable, especially in a small, sparsely patronized shop.

Randy

What Randy said. A couple days ago, I was asked whether I was an "accomplished hunter." I have no idea what that meant, so I just said "No, I just kill stuff."

Hey, it made the staff at the overly fancy gun shop all get quiet. Yes, my girlfriend later said "no wonder you wear cowboy boots, so you can wade through your own b*******."
What's up with merchants trying to instantly drive over potential customers? The art of shaving. Wow. Of course I am not good at shaving, but I can sure trim up a dog with some Oster clippers. Does that count?

davestlouis

Practically Family
DBLIII, look for a pm...

I can't stand stuckup people. My father would refer to someone like that as a "pompous ass"

My parents refused to join the local country club when I was a kid, because he felt like everyone there fell into the pompous ass category, and he couldn't see surrounding himself with people like that. Like he said, the same boring people, the same 18 holes, the same restaurant, and crappy tennis courts.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
djhatman said:
The woman greeted me by asking " Do you practice the art of shaving?"
Sorry, but I just can't seem to find the harm in this greeting. [huh] Sure it pushes the brand a bit but it certainly wouldn't bother me in the least.

Lou

One of the Regulars
djhatman, you should have answered with something like, "Madam, I can claim only to be the gentlemanly art's humblest student." You'd then gaze at the empty barber chair and recite a few lines of verse.

djhatman

One of the Regulars
The funny thing was, I did look around the shop and when I ask where are the doubled-edged razors were she told me that they don't sell them. I started using DE razors a few years, back becuase I got sick of having to make the choice between mach whatever razors and paying rent for the month.
As far as the greeting I was taken a lillte a back as a clean shaven man at the time it aparent that I did shave.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
djhatman said:
As far as the greeting I was taken a little a back as a clean shaven man at the time it apparent that I did shave.
She was inquiring if you were an aficionado, like many of the members here.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
davestlouis said:
I was killing time today, waiting for PF Chang's to open at 11, and stumbled onto The Art of Shaving store in a local mall. ...Neat, overpriced stuff, but their heavyweight safety razor is calling my name.

I didn't know these guys had retail locations, it was a pleasant surprise....

Hi Dave

I travel through StL regularly, I live in Wichita and my parents live close to I-55 just South of Springfield. Which Mall? I've have a beard since 1998 when I shaved it off for Scout Camp, and since 1985 when El Wifo made me shave it off for the wedding. On the other hand, I get tired of buying the disposable razors for my neck, and I'd like to look at the safety razors.

Thanks

Feraud

Bartender
djhatman said:
The funny thing was, I did look around the shop and when I ask where are the doubled-edged razors were she told me that they don't sell them.
You should have let the woman know that they apparently do not practice the art of shaving. ;)

vintage68

Practically Family
djhatman said:

Marketing baby, gotta love it. I recently found a shop here in Reno in the same shopping center as my local Costco that offers old fashioned haircuts and straight razor shaves without the slick marketing. Much more my speed.

There's also a shop in Chicago that offers straight razor shaves, Truefitt & Hill I believe, that I went to a few times when I lived there.

vintage68

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
Sorry, but I just can't seem to find the harm in this greeting. [huh] Sure it pushes the brand a bit but it certainly wouldn't bother me in the least.

It's not the harm per se, as it is pretentious. Better to say, "welcome, would you like a shave today?" I work in advertising/marketing, so I know about "branding," and that line would put me off as well.

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
djhatman said:

Last time I went in the guy showed me how to use a safety razor without me asking... finished it with "And that's the art of shaving"... really awkward moment for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot