Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The BEST Detective/Crime films of the Film Noir era?

davidraphael

Practically Family
I love The Thin Man - I have the complete set - but I never really considered it a pure noir because of the comedic elements and character and theme orchestrations. They're hybrid genre movies. But of course they are detective movies. I also love the Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce Sherlock Holmes series, but they're not 'noir' as such.

Apart from the classics already mentioned, ie, The Big Sleep, Double Indemnity, Maltese Falcon, Sunset Boulevard, etc, there's also:
Dark Passage (one of my all time favorites),
Detour (a woefully overlooked B classic),
The Lady from Shanghai,
Several Hitchcocks:Spellbound, Strangers on a Train, The Wong Man, Shadow of a Doubt, Dial M for Murder, The 39 Steps..
While I'm mentioning European noirs, let's not forget the incredible M with Peter Lorre, Brighton Rock, Ascenseur pour l'échafaud, Rififi,

Poster%20-%20Detour%20%281945%29_06.jpg

Poster%20-%20Dark%20Passage_03.jpg

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I love The Thin Man - I have the complete set - but I never really considered it a pure noir because of the comedic elements and character and theme orchestrations.
I have a hard time thinking of the series that way too, I suppose because none of the films seem depressing. :D

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Most of the above films mentioned are tops for me….& I never tire of watching them. But every now & then…I take a break &
watch this one
195751020A.jpg
:eusa_clap

and afterwards I go back to the classics !

MillersCrossing

Familiar Face
Fury by Fritz Lang featuring Spencer Tracy is definite noir. The original The Postman Always Rings Twice is an all-time noir classic. What about The Killing by Stanley Kubrick featuring Stirling Hayden, one of the great character actors. I dunno if anyone mentioned The Big Heat with Glen Ford, what a classic that is.

Of course noir never went away, there are still many good modern noir films being made (see my handle and avatar for example)... perhaps best discussed in another thread.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I agree, both excellent choices.
Tom Neal, what an interesting guy he was. From a rich family, then became a very successful boxer, but unfortunately his bad temper got him in trouble one too many times. Kind of like his own real life Film Noir. :eeek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic