Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
The story you are about to read is true. The names have been changed to protect the innocent!

This was truly a team effort and I thank fellow Loungers Gary, Stefan, Daniele, and Peter

@The Shoe @steur @Daniele Tanto and @daizawaguy who helped me track down the origins of this Borsalino bowler. The markings were somewhat different than others I had seen. An initial search of the store name yielded results in Japan...rather unusual for Borsalino hats. The markings were very crisp, so I also wondered about this being a more modern hat. Through many exchanges back and forth, Stefan and Daniele were reasonably certain this was a pre-war hat (although exactly how it got from Italy to Japan may always be a mystery).

Peter seems to have summarized our discussions well as he said, "Daimaru is a Department Store in Tokyo. It is likely to be imported or perhaps manufactured with imported parts - likely pre war as post war, everything was damaged and had to be built up again, so your estimate of the date is likely to be correct. That liner, too, is very 30s. Wear in health."

No doubt, I am thrilled to have a Sold in Japan (maybe even a Made in Japan) bowler!

A note back to the seller (in New Jersey) and more clarity has emerged. It seems the hat was owned by an older relative (now many years deceased) of her husband. The relative was a political attache in Japan! The seller is reluctant to give out names, but I am hopeful I can get some additional information from her. I'll keep you posted. Yes, I am ecstatic about this one!

This bowler has typical dimensions. I will call it a mid-weight hat with a very smooth finish. The production tag is not easy to photograph but most of it can be read. There is a large block F on the lower portion and either a model or color listed as Gebel(?)

20230717_145114.jpg 20230717_145310.jpg 20230717_145143.jpg 20230705_083641.jpg 20230705_184853.jpg 20230705_184913.jpg s-l1600 (26).jpg s-l1600 (27).jpg 20230705_184939.jpg

The story you are about to read is true. The names have been changed to protect the innocent!

This was truly a team effort and I thank fellow Loungers Gary, Stefan, Daniele, and Peter

@The Shoe @steur @Daniele Tanto and @daizawaguy who helped me track down the origins of this Borsalino bowler. The markings were somewhat different than others I had seen. An initial search of the store name yielded results in Japan...rather unusual for Borsalino hats. The markings were very crisp, so I also wondered about this being a more modern hat. Through many exchanges back and forth, Stefan and Daniele were reasonably certain this was a pre-war hat (although exactly how it got from Italy to Japan may always be a mystery).

Peter seems to have summarized our discussions well as he said, "Daimaru is a Department Store in Tokyo. It is likely to be imported or perhaps manufactured with imported parts - likely pre war as post war, everything was damaged and had to be built up again, so your estimate of the date is likely to be correct. That liner, too, is very 30s. Wear in health."

No doubt, I am thrilled to have a Sold in Japan (maybe even a Made in Japan) bowler!

A note back to the seller (in New Jersey) and more clarity has emerged. It seems the hat was owned by an older relative (now many years deceased) of her husband. The relative was a political attache in Japan! The seller is reluctant to give out names, but I am hopeful I can get some additional information from her. I'll keep you posted. Yes, I am ecstatic about this one!

This bowler has typical dimensions. I will call it a mid-weight hat with a very smooth finish. The production tag is not easy to photograph but most of it can be read. There is a large block F on the lower portion and either a model or color listed as Gebel(?)

View attachment 533222 View attachment 533223 View attachment 533224 View attachment 533225 View attachment 533226 View attachment 533227 View attachment 533228 View attachment 533229 View attachment 533230
Tremendous. Congratulations Randy.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
(although exactly how it got from Italy to Japan may always be a mystery).
European hat manufacturers had representatives in Japan since the beginning of the last century. Steve (mayserwegener) posted some time ago a great photo of Huckel hats, with their sales force, in Japan. Borsalino was present in the country of the Rising Sun since the beginning of the 1900s. These are public data of Borsalino's exports to various countries of the world

The bowler hat is a Borsalino product, probably, as already specified, prior to the Second World War. In this regard, its construction date is on the paper label with the size separated from the rest of the information, but, as already mentioned on other occasions, Borsalino used materials, formed but unfinished hats for a long period after the Second World War. One thing is certain Randy, knowing when the seller's ancestor was in Japan would give a lot
more sense to our speculations.
Also a photograph of the complete label would be of great help

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
thing is certain Randy, knowing when the seller's ancestor was in Japan would give a lot
more sense to our speculations.
Also a photograph of the complete label would be of great help

I asked that question but to no avail. Being on the husband's side, she did not keep up with much family history and as the husband is also deceased, there is not a good resource to go back to. I still have a few breadcrumbs to follow, however.

I'll work to get a full pic of the label. Some material is stuck to the label and, quite frankly, I struggle to move pictures between my phone, tablet, and computer!

View attachment 533222 View attachment 533223 View attachment 533224 View attachment 533225 View attachment 533226 View attachment 533227 View attachment 533228 View attachment 533229 View attachment 533230
Go team Borsalino bowler!;) Congrats on landing this one, Randy. Always nice to see another one saved and certainly one with such an odd combination of features. No less nice for it though: a winner all the way.

Randy, Great find! Overall fantastic and being a WWII era or a bit earlier Japanese market Borsalino makes it really special. Congrats!

StoryPNW

One Too Many
My first bowler, a Stetson Feather Weight. I don't know too much about it. It has a 2" brim and a 5 1/4" crown. I gently bent down the sweat band and found a tag.
20230823_153647.jpg
20230823_153653.jpg
20230823_153929.jpg
20230823_153744.jpg
20230823_153739.jpg
20230823_191818.jpg

The front of the brim seems to come up not down so I might seeing if a little steam will bring it into shape.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Most excellent!

Stiff felts won't move much, but with some steam and TLC, you should be able to get the brim to straighten out.

My first bowler, a Stetson Feather Weight. I don't know too much about it. It has a 2" brim and a 5 1/4" crown. I gently bent down the sweat band and found a tag.
View attachment 542247 View attachment 542248 View attachment 542249 View attachment 542250 View attachment 542251 View attachment 542252
The front of the brim seems to come up not down so I might seeing if a little steam will bring it into shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles