Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Bowler or Derby Hat

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
For anyone interested in getting the oddjob bowker, Lock & Co will make one custom:

http://www.007magazine.co.uk/events.htm

oddjob_03.jpg

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
dunn-bowler.png

dscn1786.jpg

Pretty typical Dunn & Co, got for cheap. The hat itself is in perfect condition, 7 5/8 (British). Cleaned off the lining, which is in fairly good shape. From the mid 70s, I think. Smooth, lightweight fur felt. This is the brand and style of bowler worn by Malcolm McDowell as Alex in A Clockwork Orange. Despite the large production volume of Dunn bowlers, they are a very well-made hat, with excellent felt and one of the only ones that kept something resembling a classic brim curl well into the 90s. Dunn & Co bowlers are very common on eBay, but this is the first XXL size I've seen.

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Moomer-- great photos! I like them more square/straight as well, but some of those real high ones look nice with the taper. I like that last one, tall, tapered crown, and wider brim than most. Very cool!

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
Photo taken in the studio of John Wesley Thomas 1872 Hastings

aef4e32a.jpg

Great shots! I'm wondering, from our resident historians: the above hat has strange enough proportions that I question its categorization as a bowler hat at all. It has no visible brim curl, and the shape is more bucket-like than the other bowlers posted. The ribbon is also strange. Looks more like an early form of an un-creased homburg. When does a bowler cease to be a bowler?

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Moomer, OUTSTANDING photos!! I love seeing all the high crowned derbies/bowlers. Some of those crowns look like 6 or 6 1/4 inches. I have a couple old derbies that have 5 3/4 inch crowns and let me tell you, they make you seem so much taller. I wonder how tall the guys in the photos really are without their hats on.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
There are so many variations on bowler block and dimensions, many of which were regional. I think this still fits the bill, especially if the crown is stiff. I see a definite pencil curl on there, even if it's small and not entirely closed.

Here's a variation that has a sharper angle at the top: http://benderhats.com/dometoparabia.html

Josh-- that's the reason I originally wanted a higher crown bowler-- to add a little height to this small-statured guy! I think there's a point, however, where they can start to dwarf whoever is beneath!

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Looks like an open crown soft felt with a pencil curl, making it have little in common with a Bowler from its original definition and purpose (stiff, lower dome, English, different brim curl). People will call things whatever they like though.

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
Check out this one -- recovered from the wreck of the Titanic.
Speaking of which, the 100th anniversary of the sinking is in two weeks on the 15th.

Bored on a Saturday morning, so I spent a few minutes improving the brim curl of my modern Christys fur felt bowler. It's a fairly easy process. Smoother curl, and turns in more at the sides now.

christys4.jpg

christys3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn