Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Car Lives On

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
From this:
1964-1-2-dlode-mustang-front.jpg

To This:
ford_mustang_gtdeluxecoupe_2007_exterior_2_346x270.jpg

I was thinking a while back what cars from the before, during, and after the Golden Era are still being made. They more than likely aren't made the same way, nor the same style, but it's title is still circulating. The Ford Mustang was released in 1964, and has gone through many changes since then. Recently Ford has revisited the design and altered it a bit, specifically the fastback. What other automobiles have lasted over the years, if only their title?

Also, I'd like to ask that those participating to please stay on topic. I'd rather not see it turn into an anti-modern car thread. :)

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Actually, if you find a picture of a 1968 Mustang Fastback, like the one in "Bullitt," you'll really see the parallels with the 2005-present Mustang.

Also I like the fact that the current Mustang doesn't actually say "Mustang" anywhere on the outside, unless you get the rocker panel stripe. The designers had confidence that the style would say "Mustang" without it needing to be spelled out.

I do like some of the "retro" styling on newer cars, but what I'm really interested in is a higher roofline so I can wear my hat. ;)

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Unfortunately, manufacturers are getting away from actual names for cars. I personally think they toss some Scrabble platelets into the air, wait for them to obey the laws of gravity, and then look for letter combinations that might be somewhat pronounceable or just look neat when placed side-by-side. But some names are - or have been - longstanding. To wit:

Chrysler's New Yorker was built from 1939 to 1996. This 1954 was apparently owned by Howard Hughes:
1954_Chrysler_New_Yorker_Howard_Hug.jpg

The earliest references to Town and Country and LeBaron that I've found are 1940 and 1941, respectively. The Town and Country name was given to their station wagons, known for their bodies made of wood, and is now on their minivan. It will still be available as such in 2008. The most recent LeBaron I've seen was a 1995 model. Here's a picture of a 1990:
Chrysler_Le_Baron_2.2_GTC_Cabrio_1990.jpg

In its early years, the LeBaron name went back and forth between Chrysler and Imperial, once or twice.

The 300 was introduced in 1955 and ran until 1971. It has recently been reintroduced.
Chrysler-300C-SRT8.jpg

Cadillac's Seville ran from 1956 to 2004, the DeVille from 1949 to 2005, and the Eldorado from 1953 to 2002.
Eldorado_59.jpg

Lee

Flivver

Practically Family
I had the privelige of working on the 2005 Mustang during it's initial planning phase. We wanted to capture the flavor of the original Mustang in a truly modern way...something that Ford Design Chief J Mays calls retro-futurism.

The design inspiration came from the 1967-68 and 1969-70 generations of Mustang since these had more "muscle" than the initial 1964 1/2 to 1966 design. Classic proportions were emphasized, and I believe that it is the proportions that make this design really "sing".

The upcoming Dodge Challenger and Chevrolet Camaro will provide stiff competition for the Mustang, however. The Camaro design took its inspiration from the 1968 and 1969 Camaros, while the Challenger is based on the 1970 design. It's great to see the American "Big 3" going back to the aggressive, purely American designs that people remember so fondly.

Twitch

I'm not certain the names are all that decisive as to anything more than nomeclature nostalgia. It's the actual hint of retro in the styling that does it. Cars like the Chrysler 300 appears nothing much like an original 300 but has a generic vintage look with the way the roofline is done. Mustangs an T-bird have deliberite vintage styling remnicent of the originals. Cars like the El Dorado are just ongoing names and nothing more.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Down in Australia, Ford still sells cars named Falcon and Fairlane.

There were cars whose names lived through the 50's, 60's,70s and 80s. Then they were dropped but attempts were name to bring back a name but on an unexciting car. The Buick Riviera was a good example, orginally placed on a 1949 (?) model, then dropped then on a great ride from 1965-1985. From 1985-1992 it was on an uninspiring front drive, dropped for a couple years then put on another uninspiring front drive in 1995.:rage:

I notice that Apsen was a Plymouth compact in the 1970's, dropped and is now a Chrysler SUV.

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
As far as Muscle Cars go, have always been a fan of the For Mustang, but gotta admit, that new Camaro looks SHARP......Thanks for the link!

MrNewportCustom said:
Unfortunately, manufacturers are getting away from actual names for cars. I personally think they toss some Scrabble platelets into the air, wait for them to obey the laws of gravity, and then look for letter combinations that might be somewhat pronounceable or just look neat when placed side-by-side.
For example, the "Rondo"?
Here are some examples which may fit your criteria, though none are mass produced.
mcm_garage_8.jpg

I have forgotten just what this REALLY is under the sheep's clothing, but includes modern disc brakes and a fuel injected Corvette LSR motor, air adjusted suspension, fiberglass faux flathead motor block beneath the hood. Fiberglass body made to look rusted (real rust sprinkled on from chef's shaker).
aeromaxsidemovinglarge.jpg

Howabouta new Morgan?
aeromaxrearlarge.jpg

Or an old one?
Exeter_Trial_2006.jpg

Or a Harley powered homage?
reverse-trike-cyclecar2HD.jpg

Inspired by the legendary Morgan 3 wheelers (Cycle-Cars) of the 1930's, the Liberty ACE utilizes a Harley-Davidson Twin-cam® engine, modern running gear, chassis & suspension to create one of the most distinctive & exciting vehicles on the road today.* The ACE not only exudes panache and vintage flair, it also delivers a unique and thrilling driving experience.* Starting at $34,500 complete with engine, less paint.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
RondoHatton said:

Now you've done it Rondo! I love Morgans, and the better half nearly goes mad over them!

Can't stand the new "Aero" Moggies with the cross-eyed headlights, give me a good old Plus 8 anyday.

Coincidently, there's been quite a few Morgans here (Trondheim Norway) of late and we saw a black 4/4 in town yesterday. A lot of Brits and Europeans take their classics for a spin up the beautiful mountain roads of Norway and just a few weeks ago we had an original Moggy 3 Wheeler in UK plates roaring up the road past our place :)

Like the "new" take on the 3 Wheeler by Ace, very,very nice, would go like the clappers as well!

panamag8or

Practically Family
You can still get a Ford Crown Victoria, introduced in 1955. Lincoln has resurrected the Zephyr nameplate of 1936-1942. Mercury Grand Marquis is still around, and they have resurrected the Monterey name for a new mini-van.

And the Deville name isn't totally gone. It has just been shortened to an acronym, DTS, meaning "Deville Touring Sedan". Sevilles have followed this naming system as well.

Let's not forget the Ford F-series of trucks, first introduced in 1948.

Flivver

Practically Family
Unfortunately, Ford at least, is cancelling many of it's vintage-named carlines. The Crown Vic will be fleet only for 2008. And both the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis will be cancelled at the end of the 2010 model year.

The Zephyr was re-named MKZ for 2007 and the Monterey minivan has been cancelled. The 2009 Ford Flex CUV was originally to be called Fairlane, but the name was changed at the last minute.

And Chrysler announced this week that they are dropping plans to re-introduce the Imperial.

But on a brighter note, there are rumors that Chevrolet is considering bringing back the Chevelle name on a new , smaller than Impala, rear wheel drive midsize car for introduction around 2012.

Twitch

And good riddance for the most part of the use of names that once meant something. My limit was reached with the Chevy commercial touting the Impala 4 door sedan as "409" played. What a sick joke!! A non-hardtop dorkmobile with a puny, less than 300CID engine is supposed to rekindle past cruising in a 62 Super Sport 2-dr. HT 409 CID with 3 dueces??!!

The Nova returned as some Jap thing years ago and I never paid attention again to the nameplate. It's just shameful that they've tried to prop up some piece of crap using a name that once EARNED its place by sales and performance.

The GTO was reincarnated looking like a Mitsubishi and it quickly died plus the continual reference to "hemi" has nothing but a cylinder head technical detail in common to a true 426CID Hemi.
:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Here's some more which have been going for awhile or have been brought back...

Porsche 911
Holden Commodore
MG TF (the new one's entirely different from the 1950s one)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo