Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cavanagh - Saturday Morning Suprise

Saturday started off to be a good day. :D The doorbell rang this morning; and I awoke to receive my first vintage Fedora. The 50's circa Cavanagh arrived today safe and sound. The hat is extremely nice and was well kept over the Decades.

I guess it would not hurt to get it dry cleaned before I go and mess around with it. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

duggap

Banned
From what I have heard, there are no dry cleaners left around that know how or have the equipment to do a hat. If a good brushing will not do, then send it to Optimo Hats of Chicago.

Brush it very well, wipe out the sweatband with disinfectant & then apply some leather cleaner/conditioner = I use Lexol wipes from the tack store. Get a large zip lock bag big enough to hold the hat, put the hat in the bag & put the whole thing in a freezer for 2-3 days to kill any potential critters = Tip from HPGene.
After that, brush it again, wipe the sweatband, wear it in good health. If it is real dirty, then do a naptha dunk. See threads on that topic. HTH

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the world of Saturday morning surprises. Caution, before you know it you will be having them Monday through Saturday!

Thanks for the information....something else....

Good information on cleaning & thanks for the lead; I will look at the other information you put out there for me as well. Thanks !

The only thing I noticed, while I was messing around with doing a bash, it was that my fingers were picking up a darkness from working the felt. Is it dirt/dust in the felt? The hat is Grey, the fingers were getting a dark tint on them.

Thanks again !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass