Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
My day job & back problems had gotten me behind, but tonight the Midnight Hatter rides again!
Welcome back ;)

If you missed it, the new bow on your Stagecoach is done, see below. I brushed the hat but did not reshape the brim or crown. Please see my PM & get back to me re shipping arrangements.
Already replied. I love it and I think the ribbon color works great with the felt color.
You proposed to reshape the crown but it looked more "mechanical" (too perfect I think). The brim would only need to be "realigned" but it looks perfect now.
Can't wait for it! Is this your first work to come to Europe?

Dogman and Landman, thank you for your comments on my "new" hat ;)

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks, all. And thanks to everyone for their patience. This used to be a hobby but is fast becoming a calling. Managing it and my other commitments has made me The Midnight Hatter ;-)

Yes, indeed first work to go "across the pond." I'm pleased it'll be going to Portugal, as my grandfather was Portuguese (from the islands though - Madeira).

Also, Joao, you wear them well. I'll check your PM.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
This used to be a hobby but is fast becoming a calling. Managing it and my other commitments has made me The Midnight Hatter ;-)
Indeed it seems that there is a lot of hat work around. I think I couldn't be a hatter. Would hate everyone asking for brim trimming ;) but it is something I might like because I do like to work with my hands (after 20 years working on computers, I can see how boring they are).

Yes, indeed first work to go "across the pond." I'm pleased it'll be going to Portugal, as my grandfather was Portuguese (from the islands though - Madeira).
Never been there but I do plan to go there at least once in my lifetime. I do know some people that live in Madeira.

Also, Joao, you wear them well. I'll check your PM.
Thank you.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Nice work John G.! Congrats on your hat Joao. It looks really nice. John does real good work!
Yes he does and you are one of the guilty persons for his volume of hat work. ;)
I had chosen the hat from the bay (was a US auction only) and he cleaned it and changed the ribbon :)
Didn't had a brown Stagecoach and this was a bargain :D

NewJack

Practically Family
My day job & back problems had gotten me behind, but tonight the Midnight Hatter rides again!

Oldest go out first, but I will also acknowledge receipt of two other hats for renovation, that will soon be moving _way_ up the list.

JG, out.

I'm just honored to be on that list!!

Great work, John!! :eusa_clap

John Galt

Vendor
Thanks fellas!

Going to try to finish that Knapp-Felt tonight. Justin has been extremely patient. I've re-blocked it and re-flanged it with no changes to the original shape or brim width. Going to put the original "bow" on if I can match the ribbon and clone it if not. Will post photos.

John Galt

Vendor
Joao, I haven't done anything at all with the brim. I think it's ok, but can re-flange, etc. if you want. I think it looks pretty good as is.

John Galt

Vendor
Teasers of Justin's hat. The bow is original, but the ribbon has a tear and needs replaced.

I need a yard of 2 1/4 inch true black vintage ribbon. Please PM if you have some.

I have several near-black, grey & khaki options in this width, but no true black, and have struck out with the usual online auction sites.

ary8y3yj.jpg

y4aqe8up.jpg

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Teasers of Justin's hat. The bow is original, but the ribbon has a tear and needs replaced.
wow, the ribbon id wider than the brim!? Need a magnifying lens to find the brim it that. lol

Aw man! Was that your hat Joao?! John sent it to me by mistake and I already cut the brim down to 2 1/2 inches for a conversion project! ;)
Not my hat... yet because I haven't payed it... yet.
And I doubt it would only take a day from John Galt house to yours and you trimmed it just as it arrived ;)

TomSchmitz

New in Town
Hi All -

I found this forum while looking for information on how to convert a hat from western to fedora, so I guess my first post might as well be along those lines.

Back in 1979 I bought myself a Resitol thinking I might like to wear a western. I tried wearing it for a couple of days and decided that the only thing I liked about it was the color and put it back in the box where it has been for the past 35 years.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago when I got to looking at the Resistol box up in the closet and thinking that I might take a look at it. I still hate it. What's worse, my head has gotten a bit fatter, so it's now probably a size too small. But it did make me wonder if I could have something done to it so that it would be something I'd wear.

I've lurked the forum and read some of this thread, but there's over a hundred pages so I haven't been through it all. What could be done with this hat? Who could do it and how do I contact them?

14406209646_4c44f8e82f_b.jpg

14242734288_32743d2c72_b.jpg

Thanks for your time and help,

Tom

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
If you really want to use that hat then best is to send it to someone to stretch it. You can do it 1 size up (but it's not a 30 minute job...) but if you need more, it will need to be reblocked. Also it's best to try other hats to know how wide you want the brim before trimming it. If you try to trim it, it may go wrong like bowlerman recent attempt and then you end with something you don't like.
Several TFL members will tell it's a perfect candidate to convert but you may not like the western's felt weight and prefer a lighter felt like the ones used on Open Road's or fedoras.
What size is it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes