Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Conversion Corral

rogerstg

A-List Customer
Continuing with the conversion from page 320

I worked on the pinch and bash to give it a more "handled" look.

After front color corr.jpg 20150601_084051.jpg

I also replaced the vinyl hat band to a darker braided leather band.

20150601_084133.jpg

FWIW, the new "vintage" leather hat band is made from a used ladies belt; ~$4 on Ebay.

Roger

rogerstg

A-List Customer
Thanks Scary. It was an inexpensive hat to learn on and the results were rewarding. Fur felt is an amazingly resilient material and fun to work.

rogerstg

A-List Customer
Thanks guys. It didn't seem quite done before, and a traditional feather didn't appeal to me. Then I found this United Fly Tyers pin and thought it'd be perfect for a fly fishing/outdoor fedora.

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is one of a few that I be been experimenting using dye to get different color into the felt . Felt is winchester beaver
Was silverbelly now it's Blue belly.

rogerstg

A-List Customer
After getting my Campdraft in bluegrass, I wanted something like that in silver belly. There on my shelf was a well handled but good condition 3X Resistol.

$_57.JPG

Here in New England, that style would be considered part of a costume and not really general wear, though I personally like it.

So a little steam and a little trimming and I ended up with this:

20150729_090923.jpg 20150729_090821.jpg

I had mixed feelings about this alteration because the hat was issued by the Texas Dept of Public Safety; possibly used by a Texas Ranger. IMO, hats are made to be worn, so in the end, time on my head trumped collecting dust on my shelf.

Roger

Moviehats

One of the Regulars
After getting my Campdraft in bluegrass, I wanted something like that in silver belly. There on my shelf was a well handled but good condition 3X Resistol.

View attachment 33106

Here in New England, that style would be considered part of a costume and not really general wear, though I personally like it.

So a little steam and a little trimming and I ended up with this:

View attachment 33107 View attachment 33108

I had mixed feelings about this alteration because the hat was issued by the Texas Dept of Public Safety; possibly used by a Texas Ranger. IMO, hats are made to be worn, so in the end, time on my head trumped collecting dust on my shelf.

Roger

Rangers get their own hats. It was a Trooper hat you got so no need to feel guilty. Very nice looking BTW. Better than the Trooper hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw