Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Cravat

Lee M Roberts

Familiar Face
I've ran a quick search on the site and didnt find out much about cravats. If I have missed a large thread my apologies.

Just wondering about other members' views on the cravat neck tie? Including from the fairer sex.

I have started wearing one for work and have had a few compliments. I know they may not be in vogue at the moment but thats a shame.

Edward

Bartender
There are several threads under the cravat topic, dear boy - however you'll have to search using the term "ascot", which is what our American cousins insist on calling them. ;)

always glad to meet a fellow cravat wearer - I wear them probably nine days out of ten in the office: much smarter than an open neck when one is going casual, and just ever so slightly more raking than a four in hand. :D

Lee M Roberts

Familiar Face
Thank you sir for your swift reply. I will do some fresh searches using our cousins' dialect ;)

I think this could be a start of a very beutiful relationship with the cravat, not quite as stuffy as a regular tie but with many of the advantages. Thanks again Edward.

Edward

Bartender
No problem. The cravat / ascot / whatever is indeed a wonderful item of neckwear, and the reaction from the ladies is indeed a major bonus. ;)

Lee M Roberts

Familiar Face
Smithy said:
Here's a link to the big cravat thread Lee...

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=447961#post447961

I was actually the same before coming here, I'd always known them as cravats, and Ascot was a race course!

I've got a cravat on as a type this and have been wearing it all day ;)

Thanks, I managed to find the interesting thread. Call me arrogant however a Cravat is Still a Cravat, a Courgette is a Courgette and a Moustache is still a Moustache. The poor French ;)

Edward

Bartender
Lee M Roberts said:
Well time only will tell ;)

Oh that Vivienne Westwood quote is a corker by the way.

Isn't it just? It's an old one I've quoted so many times, which just seemed apt for my sig in this place. :)

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Another fan of the cravat here, to the point where some people ask what's wrong on the days I'm not wearing one. Far from being vintage, my most frequent supplier has been Tie Rack!

Smithy, Spitfire: this is getting silly. People are going to start talking if we carry on like this.

(But at least I'm not in Scandinavia, so that should help people tell us apart...)

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
A cravat and an ascot are different, in my book. A cravat has gathers (pegs) in its centre (center) section - an ascot (Ascot) is plain.

Alan

Edward said:
There are several threads under the cravat topic, dear boy - however you'll have to search using the term "ascot", which is what our American cousins insist on calling them. ;)

always glad to meet a fellow cravat wearer - I wear them probably nine days out of ten in the office: much smarter than an open neck when one is going casual, and just ever so slightly more raking than a four in hand. :D

Edward

Bartender
Mine are pretty much all vintage (60s, mostly, and mostly Tootal brand), but that's more by coincidence as it's what I found cheap on eBay than anything else! ;) I must check out TieRack.... I've got four or five in red, three greens, only about two blues and one yellow..... I could do with adding to my range. I'd also like to add a few more in plain, solid colours - I think those go much better with a patterned shirt. A couple in plain, solid black would be very flexible, I think.

Lee, it is indeed a shame that dear aunty Viv is so pricey..... fortunately, my favourite works of hers being in the main the Seditionaries era, it's not too difficult to find affordable alternatives in that vein. I'm still undecided, though, as to whether the "Only anarchists are Pretty" / Karl Marx shirt (as sported by Glen Matlock when the Pistols played Anarchy in the UK on (I think) Top of the Pops back in 77) would look retro-chic or just stuck in the past. lol

Lee M Roberts

Familiar Face
Edward said:
I'm still undecided, though, as to whether the "Only anarchists are Pretty" / Karl Marx shirt (as sported by Glen Matlock when the Pistols played Anarchy in the UK on (I think) Top of the Pops back in 77) would look retro-chic or just stuck in the past. lol

I was at the Blackpool Punk festival (whatever they call it these days ;) earlier this year and they had a few knock off copies of the very same shirts at fairly low prices...rather interested to see that the majority of 'punks' there were middle aged accountants ;) (please note I don't have a gripe with accountants, just that for some reason I found the idea to be rather amusing) in chaotic off the peg 'uniforms'.

In my honest opinion if you are going to get something 'off the peg' you might as well try a little to look dapper, not like a middle aged teenage fashion victim thats been in a vicious safety pin factory explosion.

I digress ;) haha

Edward

Bartender
Lee M Roberts said:
I was at the Blackpool Punk festival (whatever they call it these days ;) earlier this year and they had a few knock off copies of the very same shirts at fairly low prices...rather interested to see that the majority of 'punks' there were middle aged accountants ;) (please note I don't have a gripe with accountants, just that for some reason I found the idea to be rather amusing) in chaotic off the peg 'uniforms'.

In my honest opinion if you are going to get something 'off the peg' you might as well try a little to look dapper, not like a middle aged teenage fashion victim thats been in a vicious safety pin factory explosion.

I digress ;) haha

Yeah, that's the thing.... I have to admit there's little in the clothing world I find funnier than those mass-produced T-shirts with the anarchy symbol screen printed on them. Almost as delicious an irony as Che Guevara's face being used as a commercial brand to sell T shirts and whatever else it cam be stamped on. Consume ergo sum, Comrade, and all that. lol

Alan Eardley said:
A cravat and an ascot are different, in my book. A cravat has gathers (pegs) in its centre (center) section - an ascot (Ascot) is plain.

Alan

Ah, that would make sense.... is there a reason for that difference - i.e. are the pleats on a cravat designed to keep the shirt collar that little bit higher rather than to press the crvat directly to the skin, helping avoid chafing, while the flat ascot fits easier under a collar to be tied like a four in hand? Or is it purely a matter of difference in design?

Lee M Roberts

Familiar Face
Edward said:
Yeah, that's the thing.... I have to admit there's little in the clothing world I find funnier than those mass-produced T-shirts with the anarchy symbol screen printed on them. Almost as delicious an irony as Che Guevara's face being used as a commercial brand to sell T shirts and whatever else it cam be stamped on. Consume ergo sum, Comrade, and all that. lol

Or the rather pittyful 'Punk as F@@k' patches (just in case you hadn't worked it out by the time you read the patch of course) ;)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
There are several threads under the cravat topic, dear boy - however you'll have to search using the term "ascot", which is what our American cousins insist on calling them.
You say neether and I say nyther (neither) you say eether and I say eye-ther (either) but I didn't know that a cravat in the US was an ascot. And there was me thinking that an ascot was a style of cravat.
Question, Loungers. For this question I'm using the term cravat, so if you say ascot, please bare with me. Which shirt collar style suits best, the cravat, and to avoid any ambiguity, this is what I mean:
cravat.jpg
My preference would be for a spearpoint, but the angle of the points would have to be more towards forty five degrees, not something you normally see in a spearpoint.
Parts-of-a-shirt-collar.jpg
Failing that, the penny round may be a better bet or perhaps the Winchester, a wider form of the penny round.
In the grand scheme of things it's hardly something to worry about, but there's no point trying to look like you're hiding something. Either wear it with aplomb, or not at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo