Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Curse of Indiana Jones

Crazy Dave

Familiar Face

IMG_1151_zps6758999d.jpg

ROFLMAO! Worf, son of Jones! :cool:

I blame George Lucas for casting Michael Dorn in the next Indy movie, Indiana Mogh and the Starfleet P'taks.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Look good Worf. Well, you're DRESSED like Dr. Jones. I got called Dr. Jones wearing a navy blue 4H hoodie and a Stetson Temple in Brown. Guess they were half right.

Later

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Living in Chicago, I really don't get the Indy comment too often. Hats and Chicago have always had a strange relationship. While walking around town, you will see "proper" hats, but you also see lots of "hipster" hats as well. It helps that we have two Optimo stores, Hats-Plus (30,000+ hats in their store/warehouse, and a bunch of smaller hat shops. I guess hats in general are not so "uncommon." Most of the time I get called, "Capone,"Dillinger," or "Elliot Ness."

HOWEVER.....there was this one time when I was on the bus going to work. I was dressed in a shirt, tie, slacks, and a grey 30's style fedora. A woman looks at me and says......."Hey, you look like that guy from that Indiana Jones Movie.....whats his name......you know the guy from the movie........" I must have sat there with my mouth open for a minute, but when I finally could comprehend what she said, I just calmly said......"You mean.....Indiana.......Jones." Her response was, "YEHHH, THAT GUY."

LOL LOL LOL

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Joshbru3: There's a wonderful clip somewhere on The Tube featuring a Norweigian radio quiz. It takes Scandinavian lingo-skills to understand it (our languages are very alike), but it's down the same alley :)

The question: "Please spell the bandname 'AC/DC'"

The anwer: "Ehhhh ... arhhhh ... well ... arrrhhhhm ...?!??!!!" :rofl:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Tim, Cane Rod Maker, is a Lounger that does most of his communications thru Private Messages via The Lounge = no website yet....HTH

Thanks for the assist Dean, I was going to answer the guy but work got in the way. Cool down any down there yet?

Worf

PS and YOU Crazy Dave are a real card. "Worf... son of Jones"! Gotta admit that was a good one.

Last edited:
1981... making it 1881... I thought men didn't start wearing fedoras till the 1920s.
Most historical accounts I've read stated that fedoras became popular among men in the early 1920s, but there may have been some men who wore them before that. So, saying that men wore fedoras 100 years before Indiana Jones might be a bit of a stretch, but also might not be entirely inaccurate.

Getting back to the main topic, I've worn my dark brown Akubra Fed IV with my Wested "Raiders of the Lost Ark" jacket before and have never once heard an "Indy" comment from anyone. I can only assume that's because I was wearing a tee shirt and Levi's 501s at the time as well; with that combination, and my beard and shoulder-length hair, I can't imagine anyone mistaking me for an Indiana Jones lookalike. ;)

Crazy Dave

Familiar Face
Thanks for the assist Dean, I was going to answer the guy but work got in the way. Cool down any down there yet?

Worf

PS and YOU Crazy Dave are a real card. "Worf... son of Jones"! Gotta admit that was a good one.

Can't help it, I'm a trekkie. My favourite characters were always the Klingons, and the very best Klingon is of course Worf. It got so bad I started a fictitious Klingon Metal band with a buddy of mine. [huh]

That hat looks great on you, it's just hilarious that anyone would think you look like Indy. People are remarkably bad observers, about 3 years ago, some dimwit started huming the IJ theme when I stepped off the train. I'd just put my wrongly shaped fedora on my then shaved head, was sporting a big wool coat and HUGE handlebar mustachios. Yep, definitely Indy... :p

In general I'd say that Indiana the Jones iconic look just works, and the image has been burned into the brain of entire generations. If people see you and their brain stupidly goes "Indy", it just means that the hat looks right on you. So they're giving a compliment whether they want to or not. It comes from walking out into the sun without their hats on.

Never once been called Indiana Jones, however....check out fedoras afield thread a few pages back.

Sorry I can't paste the link from the phone

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey

Really dressing like Dr. Jones ain't all that bad. Nice hat with a fairly wide brim. Nice shirt with two pockets, kick butt boots, and a decently tough leather jacket. You're not ready for the jungle, desert, or arctic, but you ARE ready to travel...

Later

John Galt

Vendor
Most historical accounts I've read stated that fedoras became popular among men in the early 1920s, but there may have been some men who wore them before that. So, saying that men wore fedoras 100 years before Indiana Jones might be a bit of a stretch, but also might not be entirely inaccurate.

1916 ad, so that's getting close. I'll bet I can do better. I think many accounts refer to the _term_ "fedora," rather than fedora style hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic