Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Curse of Indiana Jones

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I'm still looking stuff up in my Webster's. I might have to get an Oxford.

You might have to wait for the next (or next) edition. Oxford is suspicious of neologisms. So many of them wind up being . . .

edit because the photo was nasty and we are better than this.

Last edited by a moderator:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You might have to wait for the next (or next) edition. Oxford is suspicious of neologisms. So many of them wind up being . . .

edit because the photo was nasty and we are better than this.

Definition of NEOLOGISM
1 a new word, usage, or expression
2 a meaningless word coined by a psychotic

Do we use these togeher? Is a Neologism a new meaningless word, usage or expression coined by a psycotic? I can't EVEN believe that I looked that up. Now I gotta find a way to use in a sentence tomorrow. Tomorrow I'm at the Sedgwick County Extension office being range officer at an air pistol match for 4H. They'll LOVE learning new words.

Yeeee, Hawwww.

Evan

New in Town
Hey Indy's a pretty cool guy, I'd take it in stride. But I know what you mean. I wear brow-line glasses and I'm still told I'm the spitting image of Harry Potter.

Indeed, the media semiotics of the Jones pragma suggest the mythopoetic symbolism of the theatrical folklore of the socio-ritual code-switching aesthetic riverine warlocks of Mesopotamia. Jones combines the protagonist, antagonist and contagonist ethos with the shapeshifter's oral tradition.

Translation: "I'm making this up as I go along"
I wish I could do that

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Hey Indy's a pretty cool guy, I'd take it in stride. But I know what you mean. I wear brow-line glasses and I'm still told I'm the spitting image of Harry Potter.

Pushin' 60 here.
Pushin' .... well a little weight loss wouldn't kill me ... and I agree with Evan.
Not about Harry Potter, of course, but if anyone wants to link me with Dr. Jones, I ain't gonna complain.

My fear is that I'll meet a film fan who links me with Sydney Greenstreet when I wear a straw hat!

In fact, it would be fun, if you've got the guts, to imagine what the WORST movie reference to you in a hat could be!

For now, at least, I will stick with Mr. Greenstreet in Casablanca ... and I don't mean that way cool fez, either. I wish I had a great fez and the nerve to wear it in public.
No, I refer to the scene where he visit's Rick's in the white suit and Panama hat.
Though, now that I consider it, that really IS a nice suit and it's a very snappy Panama, and frankly I would be impressed in daily life just to have someone bring up Mr. Greenstreet, so I guess I'm still looking for a negative flik reference.

How about you all?

Sam

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I wouldn't care to be compared to Bogart's Fred C. Dobbs. When we know him, in the film, he's a pretty scruffy fellow. Sure, he's tough, and scrappy like a rat terrier, but I'd hate anybody to think I dressed like him.

amador

A-List Customer
I suppose comparision to a mobster/gangster would not be flattering, altho some were snappy dressers.
Sam, you would need a fly swatter to go with the Fez.
Splat! Nicely done with panache.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
OK, those are both good negatives

No, most of us would not want to be recognized as Fred C. Dobbs or as Ed Norton, though I must admit it would be a great experience to just meet someone and have them make either of those references out of the blue.
In fact it would be so interesting, I think I wouldn't object to the reference.

I WOULD pay more attention to the hat I wore, though.

Sam

amador

A-List Customer
Not an Indie moment but
Grocery shopping wearing a Black Fed IV, tan trench coat in the finest Rick Blaine tradition. Young woman at the check out identifies me as.....Sherlock Holmes. I retorted with "Bogart, elementary my dear Watson, elementary".

Could have been worse, Ed Norton or Walter Kovacs.

Surely you mean meme, not archetype?

I think that some would say about Indiana Jones: a hat like Bogart, a whip like Zorro, mild mannered bumbling bespecled alter ego that upon donning of a hat is transformed, like Clark Kent, into Superman, ect. The character is a brilliant amalgam of several modern Achetypes.

So I have on occasion been likened to this Achetype. The sudden and sometimes public acknowlegment stirs up emotions and feelings that I may not be familiar with or perhaps comfortable. If unfamiliar, I might missinterpret my real feelings. If uncomfortable I may seek to avoid similar encounters. I like to take each instance and use the occasion to deepen my understanding of our cultue, its powerful symbols and the effect they have on us. If someone recognizes an Achetype and declares it upon me I should consider wheather I can be comfortable with this Persona that is after all protecting my Ego. Understanding brings depth to an otherwise ordinary encounter. An ordinary utilitarian Hat can become magical.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Not an Indie moment but
Grocery shopping wearing a Black Fed IV, tan trench coat in the finest Rick Blaine tradition. Young woman at the check out identifies me as.....Sherlock Holmes. I retorted with "Bogart, elementary my dear Watson, elementary".

Could have been worse, Ed Norton or Walter Kovacs.

SHERLOCK HOLMES?

What is up with that?

Oh, wait, maybe she thought you look like Robert Downey Jr.!

I would take that as a compliment, too.

Years ago ... lots of years ago ... towards the end of college, I rented part of an old farmhouse. Quiet, cheap and comfortable, but not all that warm. I would routinely wear an old tweed sports coat and a well-worn tweed wool 8/4 cap and a flannel shirt while studying. One evening, while working on a project, I realized I didn't have anything on hand for dinner, so I drove into town to the grocery store ... not paying attention to the date. As I was checking out, the high school check-out girl said "Oh, you're going to a Halloween party as a bum!"
No, I explained, I just live this way.

Dang. I liked that jacket and cap.

Sam

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Well at least you were a well-dressed bum!

to be fair, the jacket and cap had been around the block many times before they fell to me. I wore them with "baggie" if any of you are old enough to remember those jeans with the pleats, deep cuffs and really big legs.
It was sort of a Grapes of Wrath look.
I had a neat grey Portis fedora I'd wear with the jacket to dress it up a little.
Those were the days.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Left for work this morning dressed in a recent black wool overcoat, light grey 1940s/50s Mode Edge Stetson fedora,
grey scarf, black Carhartts, and burgundy Wesco boots. My neighbor complimented me on how sharp I looked.
Then she said it... 'you look like... Indiana Jones!'.

It was meant well.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
A cracking retort...

I almost never get Indy comments as most of my hats are grey but now that I have a brown Akubra Fedora... it appears I fit the bill. I recently got my first Indy comment in years but was able to offer the perfect comeback.

Following my daughter's birthday party on the weekend I was going around popping the balloons that had festooned the yard with my pocket-knife.

With a smirk my sister-in-law piped up.. "in that hat you should be using a whip to pop them..."

As it happened I was standing at the door to my shed where I do in fact keep a long handled Australian stockwhip hanging by the door.

To her great surprise I turned to face her with the whip uncoiling in my hand and cracked a handfull of blossoms off a nearby tree!

Needless to say she was lost for words.

True story ;)

Gromulus

Practically Family
elvisroe;1387847With a smirk my sister-in-law piped up.. "in that hat you should be using a whip to pop them..." As it happened I was standing at the door to my shed where I do in fact keep a long handled Australian stockwhip hanging by the door. To her great surprise I turned to face her with the whip uncoiling in my hand and cracked a handfull of blossoms off a nearby tree! Needless to say she was lost for words. True story ;)[/QUOTE said:
That's a funny story. Good thing you didn't pull out a Webley and fire off a couple rounds!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy