Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dam Busters I

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Just got the dvd by mail this morning. The old Michael Anderson Dam Buster movie with Richard Todd and Michael Redgrave.:D Can't wait to put it on...

Anybody knows about the progress with the new Dam Busters (The one with a dog named Sue;) )
When is it going to launch?
Any websites?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
They're keeping very schtum about the new one.

This is what I have heard so far:

- I know the Lanc replicas have been made in China
- Stephen Fry (yes that's right) has done the script
- Most of the filming is due to take place in NZ starting within the next few months
- Eastman did the Irvins
- And apparently they still haven't decided what to call the dog, but in a piece I saw late last year PJ is apparently leaning towards being historically accurate

Enjoy the original Spitty, great film.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No doubt the aircraft will be a flawless as those which haven't existed for decades in The Aviator.

The use of large scale remote controlled craft that can no longer be called model planes makes the difference.
27aviator3.jpg

The Huges XF-11.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]Ah, but if only they made them full size!

I mean, they won't need the beasts afterwards, and my birthday's coming up...[/QUOTE]

The Lancs replicas for Dambusters are full size Doc so there's hope for your birthday yet!

BTW haven't forgotten the rest of that stuff for you, just haven't had the time to go through and scan and format it. It's coming though mate!

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Hoorah - never has there been a nobler reason to wish a pay rise on all my friends!

And then a major one for me - four Merlins are going to drink 100LL...

Thanks for the article, by the way - it made very interesting reading! Funny how things can be forgotten so quickly, isn't it?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]Funny how things can be forgotten so quickly, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

That's the truth! It's taken me a looooong time to pull together underside colourings of RAF aircraft during the BoB and even then I'm missing large chunks. Plus in a lot of cases it's not 100% certain.

All part of the fun though!

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Oh, absolutely!

My evil imagination wants to take one of the new Lancs to an air show by a reservoir now. I wonder if the Upkeep spinning and release gear actually works?

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Smithy said:
The Lancs replicas for Dambusters are full size...
Full size, you say? Will they be powered by Merlins, or a more modern (and more readily available in the numbers needed) V-12 such as the Falconer or modified Jaguar engines?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
From what I heard PJ had around ten made of which three will be taxiable, no news as to engines. But I doubt very much due to cost that it'll be Merlins. I wouldn't personally be surprised if they throw some motorcycle engines into them and run the Merlin sound in later during sound editing. Also remember that they are going to be using real Lancs also for the film. "Just Jane" from the Lincolnshire Aviation Centre for one is apparently going to be used.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Last April the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Lancaster ('Mike squared') did a fantastic realistic 60ft pass over the Ladybower Dam in Derbyshire, where 617 had done some of their practice. I was lucky enough to see it. It was spine-tingling hearing the roar of the Merlins echoing off the surrounding hills.

The local press published a number of pictures, which I'm sure could be found if you Google 'Ladybower' and 'Lancaster'.

Alan

[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]Oh, absolutely!

My evil imagination wants to take one of the new Lancs to an air show by a reservoir now. I wonder if the Upkeep spinning and release gear actually works?[/QUOTE]

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I can recommend the 'taxi experience' in 'Just Jane' at East Kirkby.

Alan

Smithy said:
From what I heard PJ had around ten made of which three will be taxiable, no news as to engines. But I doubt very much due to cost that it'll be Merlins. I wouldn't personally be surprised if they throw some motorcycle engines into them and run the Merlin sound in later during sound editing. Also remember that they are going to be using real Lancs also for the film. "Just Jane" from the Lincolnshire Aviation Centre for one is apparently going to be used.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Alan Eardley said:
Last April the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Lancaster ('Mike squared') did a fantastic realistic 60ft pass over the Ladybower Dam in Derbyshire, where 617 had done some of their practice. I was lucky enough to see it. It was spine-tingling hearing the roar of the Merlins echoing off the surrounding hills.

The local press published a number of pictures, which I'm sure could be found if you Google 'Ladybower' and 'Lancaster'.

Alan

There was also a very large article in Flypast with a lot of wonderful photos.

I have this somewhere if you are interested...

Alan Eardley said:
I can recommend the 'taxi experience' in 'Just Jane' at East Kirkby.

Apparently PJ and Sir David Frost have visited and went for a taxi ride in Just Jane. Stephen Fry also visited and brought Ray Grayston (last remaining flight engineer of the Dambusters crews) and they went for a spin as well.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Smithy

I have the article somewhere, too, but I can't find any of the Flypast material online.

Alan

Smithy said:
There was also a very large article in Flypast with a lot of wonderful photos.

I have this somewhere if you are interested...

QUOTE]

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Flypast (and also Aeroplane) tend not to put a lot of their articles and content on the web. But saying that there were some pictures on the Flypast forum just after the event, they may still be there.

I really have to rummage around and find the article, you've inspired me to read it again!

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We all know that Hollywood magic is going to create and/or select every sound for every second of the movie as they normally do. The one original flying Lanc no doubt donated some sounds. If they have one flying aircraft and a couple mocks that's all they really need. The stuff they did for the Hughes planes shows what can be done to recreate long gone planes. CGI and do the rest.

Windsock

A-List Customer
I'm a bit upset i've not yet been contacted by the Art and casting departments to provide props and extras.

RIMG0020.jpg

Smithy, I've also read about the full scale replicas and was wondering just how far do they go with fitting them out. I presume they are just hollow featureless fibreglass on the inside with some appropriately located ledges to allow for the cast to sit and peer out windows? Who knows, but I reckon the making of would be as interesting than the film itself.

Lucky sods who get paid to work on a thing like this.

Andrew

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Well if we're lucky, Jackson might give us something like the extras he did for Lord of the Rings. That's one super-duper-extended version I wouldn't dare not own!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Windsock said:
Smithy, I've also read about the full scale replicas and was wondering just how far do they go with fitting them out. I presume they are just hollow featureless fibreglass on the inside with some appropriately located ledges to allow for the cast to sit and peer out windows? Who knows, but I reckon the making of would be as interesting than the film itself.

I would imagine they'll mostly be shells for static and taxiing shots. I'd imagine though that there will be at least one or two (possibly more) interior mock ups made for interior shots, and these might possibly be made by Weta - as they've done similar stuff before.

Actually Windsock it's a travesty they didn't get in touch with you. I reckon a stern letter to PJ is required. That dog's a dead ringer for you know who!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy