Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Death (and rebirth!) of a Stetson Open Road

Viper Man

Banned
I recently brought my silverbelly OR Deluxe into Optimo for a rebuild. The felt was in almost perfect shape but the brim width and thin ribbon weren't doing it for me. Plus, I really like the look of the Whippet but could never seem to land a vintage one. So, I thought I'd try my luck with Optimo to see if I could build my own Whippet and I am very pleased with the results. Here is the tale of the tape...

Brim Width: Was 2 7/8" and I had it cut down to 2 5/8"
Brim Treatment: I had the brim bound with a wider 9 ligne gray ribbon.
Ribbon: The original thin ribbon was replaced with a slightly wider blue one.
Block: Diamond

Although I didn't want to do it, I had the original sweatband replaced because there was some oxidation happening that was begining to stain the felt. The liner was also replaced.

BEFORE

313483773.jpg

AFTER

344635148.jpg

BEFORE

313483771.jpg

AFTER

344635155.jpg

344635154.jpg

The Bottom line is this: Optimo rocks! For around $100, this hat was cleaned, blocked, and rebuilt to my specs and will see alot more wear because of it. I am quite pleased and would recommend Optimo to anyone looking for restoration work at a reasonable price.

I do have to thank Rusty and Major Mike Moore. RBH's "Memphis Blues" was a huge influence in the direction of this hat. Pretty obvious, huh? Thanks guys!

carter

I'll Lock Up
Now that's REAL Coffee!

GREAT transformation, Viper Man. Not only does Optimo ROCK, that OR will bring the House DOWN! :whistling :eusa_clap :whistling :eusa_clap :whistling :eusa_clap

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hard to believe its the same hat; those guys at Optimo must really know their business. Great color choice on the ribbon too. Looks grand!

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Congratulations, Viperman, for this hat.
Looks great before, and after.
Optimo's work adds lots of ... class, definitely "added value" to the excellent, but otherwise, very conventional OR.

Razzman

One Too Many
Great job. A fantastic looking lid. It is truly amazing what a professional hatter can do with a hat body. Congrats on the transformation. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Viper Man

Banned
MORE PHOTOS

Thanks for all of the positive comments! I have had some requests to see the hat on my head so here are a few more photos...

BEFORE

318454644.jpg

AFTER

344663612.jpg

BEFORE

313271683.jpg

AFTER

344663615.jpg

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
That really is a great hat on you. The brim compliments your features excellently, and the color of the felt and ribbon work great with your skin tone.

I've noticed a trend. Good hats can be worn with a flannel or with a suit and there's no out of place look. This is one of those hats.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

I think you had a great idea that Optimo brought to fruition. The conversion is very good. The choice of colours I like, too! :eusa_clap

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very nice, Viperman. I just can't get enough of those wide brim bindings.

I've been thinking of sending both of my Fed Dlx IV's to Optimo to have the brims bound. It makes any hat look more dressed up to me.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
I read the scenerio before scrolling down to the pictures and I thought oh, no. But the pictures of the transformation are wonderful and the 'new hat' is definately an eye catcher. Really, really nice:eusa_clap

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Viper...that is a great hat!...Altough I like the thin ribbon OR it used to be, but this rebirth is gorgeous!...Bravo Optimo!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters