Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The death of independent cinema - a local perspective

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Another independent single screen cinema, Mt Vic Flicks is about to disappear in July. Here's a 10min insight into the dilemma by Mike Rubbo.

There's an awkward, yet necessary confrontational part of the filmmaker who challenges the cinemagoers at around the 3:50min mark which actually has resulted in some kind of action.

The owner/projectionist Ron validly questions distributor's policies in regards to the onset of Digital Cinema & the demise of the expense of 35mm film prints.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0zJgF9oal0[/video]

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I think today's digital technology is the great equalizer for independent filmmakers, because you no longer need a Hollywood budget to produce good looking films. But I'm not sure of the impact digital projection will have on independent cinema, positive or negative. Just don't know enough about that end of the business.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
^^^
Yes, I should have said "The death of an independent Cinema".
In this particular situation the local multiplex is taking the business of the single screen cinema & as a result they can't afford the $80 000 digital upgrade. Another factor is that the distributors have reduced 35 mm prints to an all time low, e.g. One 35 mm print of Kon Tiki for the whole of N.S.W. The cinema can't upgrade and can't operate at all if they don't have any 35mm prints to screen.

Last edited:

Captain Lex

One of the Regulars
In the Twin Cities we're quite lucky to have our independent cinemas be successful enough that they can (and all have, now that my own employers have done it) make the switch.

My own views on the matter are known to be controversial, so I'll abstain from making any more general a comment than that. Regardless of circumstances, it's always sad to see a megaplex take down an independent theater. The public is a rabble!

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
I think it's terrible that the actual film distributors are killing off one of their income sources to the detriment of regional communities. The new era of Digital Cinema Packages should have heralded a rework of the 'policy' system, which I believe is perhaps only 2 or 3 decades old (at least here in Australia)?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The slow death of little local theaters and arthouses everywhere in the wake of digital distribution/projection is one of the topics we've touched on this thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?63427-Digital-shooting-and-projection

As an old-school film collector with a cabinet full of 16mm and Super 8 FILMS, I find the rush to digital incredibly sad (though I must admit that digital projection can look splendid)...

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
In the Twin Cities we're quite lucky to have our independent cinemas be successful enough that they can (and all have, now that my own employers have done it) make the switch.

My own views on the matter are known to be controversial, so I'll abstain from making any more general a comment than that. Regardless of circumstances, it's always sad to see a megaplex take down an independent theater. The public is a rabble!

Yes, the public is a mess. Just like when you hear people complaining about Walmart destroying local businesses, well Walmart can't destroy them if the townspeople boycott Walmart out of existence. The lure of cheap prices and a supersized shopping and moviegoing experience is too tempting a lure I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran