Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Definitive Cavanagh Edge Primer *

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Matt Deckard said:
One of the best articles ever put on this forum Brad... Awesome!

I have a solid collection of vintage Cavanagh edged hats.

Missed this one. Thanks, Matt! It was your collection that inspired me to start researching this topic.

Now, I am invoking my disclaimer and officially updating this thread with some new information. I’ve recently hit the mother lode on Crofut & Knapp information, and discovered something interesting about the Cavanagh Edge process. Cavanagh Edge hats were NOT flanged from the C & K factory, nor were the brims ever ironed. The curl you see in a Cavanagh Edge brim is there naturally through the process, which makes perfect sense to me now.

Other factories may have used irons, as several were invented, and they may have flanged their own hats, but that I don’t know for sure. It would explain a piece of information I have stating that special flanges were used on hand-felted-edged hats. But flanges and irons weren’t used by the C & K factory.

Moreover, the “Cavanagh Edge Process,” which C & K pushed in their advertising in the ‘20s (indeed, it was even emblazoned across the front of their new factory in 1923, was about more than just the edge itself. The process, where the brims are worked entirely by hand in hot water, was supposed to give tighter felt and impart extra strength to the brims that couldn’t be achieved in a regular hat felting process. I haven’t figured out how much substance there is behind this claim, or if it’s merely marketing. I’m still working through the science of it in my head. This part of the process is not described in the patent, and is something I have hitherto not run across. It’s not described in enough detail for me to really get a handle on it.

But C & K thought enough of it to advertise it quite a bit, even on hats that had a ribbon bound over the Cavanagh Edge. On some hats, the Cavanagh Edge was even cut off to make a raw edge, but with this supposedly better strength. (Oh, the horror!)

Something else I found out, though not about the Cavanagh Edge, is that the new factory was designed with a large warehouse area to store rough hat bodies for at least six months to age them, because new felt is not yet stable. I know we’ve discussed this at length here and at COW, but this is the first time I’ve seen it documented in a publication from the period.

Actually, I’ve got all kinds of “new” information about the Derby, straw hats, velour hats, just need to finish writing this book.

Here’s another tidbit: At one time, Disney hats were produced by the C & K Factory, as well as Chase hats, which are unknown to me.

That’s all for now.

Brad

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gladiator helmet with Cavanagh Edge

Brad, looks like Cavanagh was just stealin' from ancient Pompei.
This helmet is in the exhibit currently at LACMA (Los Angeles
County Museum of Art):

3606747700_d0ff8a10db.jpg

Worn though it is, I couldn't see any stitch lines.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
As the verse says, "there is nothing new under the sun."

Maybe he saw this and was inspired.

Neat find, feltfan!

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
After he pulled off the double drop, JtL decided to try something really challenging. :p

I DO think I see a thin ribbon running behind the centurions' ankles.lol

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
The Cavanagh Edge as Applied to Non-Hats

The Cavanagh Edge process probably has multiple applications beyond hats. This is one I've been doing for years. The overwelt is baked to become an integral part of the crust, giving strength and pleasing aesthetics to the overall pie.

CavPizza1.jpg

CavPizza2.jpg

My wife says I'm obsessed...

Brad

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Brad Bowers said:
The Cavanagh Edge process probably has multiple applications beyond hats. This is one I've been doing for years. The overwelt is baked to become an integral part of the crust, giving strength and pleasing aesthetics to the overall pie.

CavPizza1.jpg

CavPizza2.jpg

Brad

Brad, I showed this pic to my girlfriend, and we're out the door for a 'Cavanagh Edge' pizza. Later.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I've not really been a big fan of Chicago-style, preferring NY myself, but man, that looks so goooood, rlk.:eusa_clap

Cavanagh Edge works well on pizza pies, doesn't it?

Brad

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brad Bowers said:

CavPizza1.jpg

CavPizza2.jpg

Brad

K, now I'm hungry :essen:

jwalls

Vendor
I have just aquired a Dobbs Twenty with the Cavanagh Edge. I'll post pictures tomorrow when I get to the office:) .

cmalbrecht

Familiar Face
Wow, I just found out my beautiful Dobbs Twenty in long oval has a Cavanagh Edge. I had wondered about it because it's cleaner than most of my other stuff. But I have an old beater from JC Penney Towncraft that is all beaver and also has the Cavanagh Edge. It's old and pretty beat up, and I would imagine that coming from Penney it wasn't considered a top-of-the-line hat in its day, but it's a great hat. :eusa_clap

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Brad Bowers said:
The process, where the brims are worked entirely by hand in hot water, was supposed to give tighter felt and impart extra strength to the brims that couldn’t be achieved in a regular hat felting process. I haven’t figured out how much substance there is behind this claim, or if it’s merely marketing. I’m still working through the science of it in my head. This part of the process is not described in the patent, and is something I have hitherto not run across. It’s not described in enough detail for me to really get a handle on it.

Brad

If this is true, it makes you wonder how much sensitivity those employees had in their hands at the end of the day. Superb investigative work Brad.

There are a few hatters trying to bring back the edge, but what I've heard from them has sounded more like a false version rather than the real thing. Unless fur felt really comes back in a major way I don't think we'll see the process return to the world unless you decide to start producing Cavanagh edge hats.

Do you remember the debates I had with a few guys selling hats in the old days when they claimed the Cavanagh edge was the sign of a lower grade hat?

Anywho... Good job!

Why do I feel like ordering a pizza?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner