Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The devolution of our society through fashion in just two pictures.

Deafjeff

Familiar Face
At my school lots of guys dress like this. Long t shirt with pants around their knees. Lots of the girls come in wearing pajamas instead of actually being dressed for school. I must say i consider these people and their mode of dress quite distasteful. I usually go to school wearing an odd sportcoat and khaki or navy trousers with a collared dress shirt and tie. When I feel extra dressy I put on one of my full suits and a fedora. I will say that while the majority of my peers dress terribley, both they and my teachers have complimented me on my mode of dress. Some of my teachers even took the time to talk to me about it and discuss style, and several girls have said they love the way I dress. I can only hope what I do rubs off on some of my friends who prefer the grungy pants around the ankles look :eusa_doh:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
. . . Some of my teachers even took the time to talk to me about it and discuss style, and several girls have said they love the way I dress. I can only hope what I do rubs off on some of my friends who prefer the grungy pants around the ankles look :eusa_doh:
Never mind what the guys think. You've got the girls noticing you in a positive way! Go for it!

suits lover

A-List Customer
I simply don't understand how these people can think that they look good dress that way... The worst in all this is that a lot of the time it is those people who insult me for wearing fedora and suit. When I go out only with a shirt and trouser, these people find me funny because I wear hight-waist pant. But love the picture. It a funny comparison.

HI Tom

About 12 years ago, I was in one of the more expensive Wichita restaurants. I think it was our anniversary, but we went out pretty early say 5:30 PM. There was a bad 45 / good 60 year old guy setting the bar on the way in, drinking his post lawn mowing single malt scotch. He was wearing a thread bare white button down color dress shirt (Polo Brand), and paint stained, grass stained khaki's (Polo Brand). It's nice to see 15 year old Polo brand dress pants being put to good use.

Ya got it, it's too old to wear to work, wear it in the yard.

later

In the 50's and sixties you could see some guy mowing the yard in a pair of old beat up tuxedo pants. They were usually the ones he got married in.

rue

This reminded me of this thread lol

real-gangsters.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
That's fantastic! Change has to start somewhere with someone. Hopefully others will emulate your style and it catches on all across the country. That whole "gangsta", "grunge" thing had to start somewhere too. So why not revert to real fashion once again. :D
At my school lots of guys dress like this. Long t shirt with pants around their knees. Lots of the girls come in wearing pajamas instead of actually being dressed for school. I must say i consider these people and their mode of dress quite distasteful. I usually go to school wearing an odd sportcoat and khaki or navy trousers with a collared dress shirt and tie. When I feel extra dressy I put on one of my full suits and a fedora. I will say that while the majority of my peers dress terribley, both they and my teachers have complimented me on my mode of dress. Some of my teachers even took the time to talk to me about it and discuss style, and several girls have said they love the way I dress. I can only hope what I do rubs off on some of my friends who prefer the grungy pants around the ankles look :eusa_doh:

InspectorMorse

One of the Regulars
Heavens! As I am in my fifties I feel uncomfortable in anything less than a Polo shirt and Khaki pants.... It astounds me how informal society has fallen to. I always feel so at ease in a suit or some classic attire... I do not understand why so many men today cry that a suit and tie are "so uncomfortable" as they use that excuse to look unkempt. When a man is out in public with a good fitting suit, proper fit shirt, tie, polished shoes, and pocket square people seem impressed if not shocked. You just wonder what is in the mind of the messy. I long for the days when we had several nice men's clothing stores in any size town and now see them closing shop due to lack of sales. We need a "great awakening" in style for today!

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Heavens! As I am in my fifties I feel uncomfortable in anything less than a Polo shirt and Khaki pants.... It astounds me how informal society has fallen to. I always feel so at ease in a suit or some classic attire... I do not understand why so many men today cry that a suit and tie are "so uncomfortable" as they use that excuse to look unkempt. When a man is out in public with a good fitting suit, proper fit shirt, tie, polished shoes, and pocket square people seem impressed if not shocked. You just wonder what is in the mind of the messy. I long for the days when we had several nice men's clothing stores in any size town and now see them closing shop due to lack of sales. We need a "great awakening" in style for today!

You know, I don't really understand the resistance either. I have a suit I got from the thrift store for free, which is an interesting little story in itself (no people, I did not steal it! :p) and I love wearing it; it's probably one of the most comfortable things I own. I find that I get compliments from random strangers on my "dressed up" style, but many are quite surprised. Even my wife balks at it and thinks I must be a bit out of my mind to dress "so fancy" every day, though she is very slowly coming around.

Why am I suddenly some kind of eccentric weirdo because I wore a waistcoat, tie, slacks and a straw trilby yesterday? Since when is putting on a tie considered some kind of odd behaviour only fit for eccentrics unless you're attending a wedding or a business meeting?

I say forget that jazz; let's rock our vintage style and to heck with what anyone says.

William Stratford

A-List Customer
Why am I suddenly some kind of eccentric weirdo because I wore a waistcoat, tie, slacks and a straw trilby yesterday? Since when is putting on a tie considered some kind of odd behaviour only fit for eccentrics unless you're attending a wedding or a business meeting?

It's probably down to modern society being largely decorated in Neo-slob. :( Somehow, not caring became the norm (which probably also explains why so many people today reduce their life to drooling into the television remote) and now slovenly is the new casual, whilst casual is the new "properly dressed", and properly dressed is somehow shockingly formal.

One day I suspect black tie will be replaced by shorts and flipflops, at which point somebody please bring on the asteroid so we can start afresh. :(

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Even my wife balks at it and thinks I must be a bit out of my mind to dress "so fancy" every day, though she is very slowly coming around.

I know what you mean. When we go to catered affairs, the norm around here lately is slacks with an untucked dress shirt. I'm still, as I've always been, in a 3 piece suit mentality. To make it a little less 'formal,' I've taken to wearing contrasting waist coats. It seems to tone down the banker look a bit.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I know what you mean. When we go to catered affairs, the norm around here lately is slacks with an untucked dress shirt. I'm still, as I've always been, in a 3 piece suit mentality. To make it a little less 'formal,' I've taken to wearing contrasting waist coats. It seems to tone down the banker look a bit.

A suit with an odd waistcoat is one of my favourite looks; very dashing, in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo