Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Diet Fad

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
I'm just trying to eat food, real food, and I hope that will take care of some of the excess I've put on in the last few years.
Once you cut out things made with high frustose corn syrup, hydrogenated whatzits and chemically laden unpronouncables, you're pretty much left with normal food. I'm concentrating on that and noticing everyone else in the market loading up on ramen noodles and frozen dinners in plastic trays.

LizzieMaine, I could hug you for your words about people trying to make us feel unworthy for having a little belly. :eusa_clap

pgoat

One Too Many
good points all - High Fructose *$%^ing Corn Syrup is EVERYWHERE these days - in all sorts of foods you'd never guess, even stuff that you don't think of as sweet....I cut almost all of this stuff out over the last few years. I haven't lost much weight but I don't get that nasty blood sugar spike and subsequent crash 15 minutes after , say, drinking a Snapple.

I think it's obvious we all need to eat more fruits & Veggies, and stay away from a lot of junk (a bite now and then is usually ok). I am no diet success story (yet!!;) ) but if you cut through all the gimmicks and fads and what not I think the glycemic index is a very good gauge for caloric intake. When I eat a balanced breakfast of low-glycemic carbs and protein (Instead of my usual 100% high-gly carb fest), I find I have plenty of pep and no hunger pangs for hours......now if I just didn't have a desk job.......:(

pgoat

One Too Many
Just went out to get some coffee beans and half & half - I usually take skim or non-fat milk in my daily morning tea, but like h&h in my decaf which I have maybe once or twice a week after dinner.

I bought 'non-fat' H&H, wanting to limit the damage, only to find it is loaded with High Fructose Corn Syrup, satan's elixir.....

beware!!!:mad:

Miss Brill

One Too Many
When I can do it, I love eating one meal a day (after 3pm) & an evening snack. It gives me a lot of energy, but if you are doing more than sitting home, not eating can get you in a bit of trouble (especially if you are driving).

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The usual problem!

pgoat said:
Just went out to get some coffee beans and half & half - I usually take skim or non-fat milk in my daily morning tea, but like h&h in my decaf which I have maybe once or twice a week after dinner.

I bought 'non-fat' H&H, wanting to limit the damage, only to find it is loaded with High Fructose Corn Syrup, satan's elixir.....

beware!!!:mad:

Almost always, if they take out the fat, they put in the crap.

Better to ingest the fat! It burns off easier than the fat that you would get from the HFCS. Besides, fat is what makes everything tasty. You don't need a lot of it, but you do need some... I think a couple of ounces of H&H a week isn't going to make or break your diet.

pgoat

One Too Many
this is true!

re: not eating, yeah, I used to fast one day every other week, or once a month - this was back in my early 20s. I had a desk job at that time and started putting on weight. It was tough to lose by diet alone (I was NOT a health & fitness person back then:rolleyes: ) so I started fasting as a de-tox. Provided I was home with someone nearby and nothing more strenuous than reading or watching TV I was fine. But I did take vitamins regularly (not on empty stomach during fasting days tho) and drank plenty of water and herbal tea on fast days.

There are lots of reports of subway trains here that get stopped for a sick passenger (thereby holding loads of other trains up in the process, thank you very much!:mad: ) are caused not by truly ill people, but Kate Moss wanna-bes who are starving themselves (presumably on a regular basis) to be fashionably thin.

So the moral is : careful if you try this, and stay off the E train

pgoat

One Too Many
Miss 1929 said:
Almost always, if they take out the fat, they put in the crap.
Just to reiterate -

I bought a small salad for lunch today. I asked for lite Italian dressing.

The dressing had a weird sweet taste and a few bites away from the end of my meal (just the salad, no bread, etc.) I felt exhausted......I think it's a no-brainer that the deli's 'lite' dressing had HFCS in it too....:mad:

ugh! I don't know what I am more angry about - being dazed by a glycemic spike/crash - from eating a salad!! (If I am gonna sugar-crash, I'd prefer it was Drake's Cherry Fruit Pie or something...) Or the fact that I paid nearly $8 for said salad!!! :rage:

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I pretty much stick to the meat and produce aisles. It's healthier and less expensive than all the packaged stuff. I also drink lite EAS drinks (which are full of vitamins, low in fat and have balanced carbs and proteins). I eat six small meals a day, so I'm never hungry. Eating late doesn't seem to bother me, even though I have acid reflux.

As for fat, my joints hurt if I don't eat enough of it.

If you want more taste without a lot of calories, use some spices and condiments. Mustard and anything pickled are especially good. I like ketchup and lemon pepper on baked potatoes in place of butter and sour cream. I use butter in moderation.

If you want to eat vegetables but don't really like them, just add some onion and celery to chicken or tuna salad. Add some chopped kale to brothy soup and let it cook for about 10 minutes. Try roasting some vegetables drizzled with a little olive oil and some spices, or try steaming vegetables without letting them get mushy.

RueBea

New in Town
ShooShooBaby said:
my ethics and beliefs say i should be eating mostly local, less- or un-processed, vegan food, but i haven't been at all. i need to get back into the habit of eating to fuel myself rather than to satisfy cravings. i don't diet, but when i eat healthier i stabilize at a lower weight.

This is the way that I eat. I eat a 80% raw food diet, and I am currently working towards 100%. It is organic and mostly local when available. I feel better, and have more energy when I eat this way. I am not a small girl, but I am healthy, and very active.

S

Samsa

Feraud said:
I take it you are not married? lol ;)
Being in a relationship is no reason to not consider your mate's attraction to you. That is not to say your sole consideration in a relationship should be physical but these things do come into play.

Absolutely. And health concerns are incredibly important. One of the things that my fiancee and I will vow at our wedding is to both keep ourselves healthy - so that we both have a good chance of living to a ripe old age!

pgoat

One Too Many
Miss Brill said:
I like to keep my weight down so I don't have to buy more clothes. Plus, I like being smaller, rather than bigger, but my smaller is bigger than a lot of people's smaller. A lot of girls would die if they wore anything bigger than a 00, 0, or size 2. But even at my thinnest I am never smaller than a 6 (usually about a 37-26-37).

I think it's so sad that so many women (and teens) must torment themselves over every morsel that passes their lips. You can hardly blame them, with the messages sent out by the media. Rest assured, while I know a lot of guys are really fixated on women's weight, I think most men Like curves. I realize most of the celebrity images we are bombarded with are emaciated, and they might look svelte in designer duds, but when I pass the skeletal supermodel types on the street, the only reaction they get out of me is parental concern ("eat something, for pete's sake!!!").

For my money, 'real life' women (at real life weights) look just fine. More beautiful, and certainly more healthy.

Edward

Bartender
Had I the money, Id have lipo for sure. I would do anything to alter my natural pot-belly shape. Seriously, from the wrong angle I look like a pregnant, twelve year old boy. That said, I'll be happy if i can get back on the Weight Watchers wagon (never went to meetings - a bit too Marjorie Dawes for me - but used the books myself) and shed about thirty pounds and keep it off.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
pgoat said:
I think most men Like curves.
... For my money, 'real life' women (at real life weights) look just fine. More beautiful, and certainly more healthy.

I second that motion. I'll take a Bettie Page over an Uma Thurman any day (although Uma has a remarkable face and looks like an extremely interesting person).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy