Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The dishwasher in a classic kitchen

GearHead

One of the Regulars
We recently finished remodeling our kitchen which is more of a classic country style since our house is a 1912 farm house/colonial style.
We have alot of 50's style pieces though like toasters and small appliances and touches.
We are going to be replacing the large appliances next. Finding 50's style refridgerators and stoves are easy enough but we're not sure what to do about the dishwasher.
I haven't seen any that have a classic look to them as of yet and don't want to just have a modern one stand out in the overall look of the kitchen.
So far the only option I can come up with is to get one that you can add the wood panel to to match the cabinetry so it's more hidden.
Anyone have any other suggestions?

Erick

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Ha! I just saw a report in Television about the company Miele that did washing-mashines and dish-washers in the beginning of the past century until today.

They are consideres the "mercedes of washing maschines". They showed damn cute commercials for those. Maybe you can find a cute vintage Miele dishwasher on ebay or something.

GearHead

One of the Regulars
Yes, they are the Mercedes or even Roll's Royce of dishwasher.
We have an industrial one here at work in our lab. Extremely expensive but bullet proof and lasts forever.

Erick

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
It will be tough but there are vintage dishwashers out there. If you have any used appliance stores call them. I had one once, it was portable - you hooked it up to the sink, and it was top loading. I have seen pictures of some that are built ins from the 50's as well.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ummmm well, if you want to be vintage, forget the dishwasher! The number of families in the 40's or 50's that had such a thing were pretty small. A farm house such as yours wouldn't be the home to have any kind of dishwasher... other then the original kind... your two hands, soap and a rag!lol I wash my own dishes... granted, I only live with my brother but, I wash them and it's kind of relaxing... it also builds caricature I think.

So, instead of hunting for a vintage dishwasher which may work or may not, and spending crazy money to get one working, you might as well just toss the idea and go real old fashioned and wash them your selves.:D

=WR=

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
get one with a false cabinet cover, so it looks like a cabinet door when in fact it's a dishwasher. No one will know. it'll look like you have no dishwasher just like the old days.

GearHead

One of the Regulars
I was waiting for someone to say forget the dishwasher and wash them by hand as that was the way it was done but that's not an option. lol

I actually like the one by SMEG. It will fit in with the look of the refridgerator pretty well.
Or the other route is of course going with the cabinet door front so it look slike the rest of the cabinets.

Thanks for the help and find on some of those dishwashers.

Erick

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
Wild Root said:
Your all lazy bums!lol

=WR=

Well Mr. Root, like missneecerie said, it is not so fun if you have a family's worth of dishes to wash every night, especially if you have to work all day, then come home and cook, then wash dishes. If it was just me I wouldn't have a problem with hand washing either.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ah, yous guys... when I was a kid, I helped my mother with the dishes... so did my brother! It's not hard after a meal to just knock'em out... there's always paper plates and plastic forks! HAhahahahahahaha!

Telling stories as you wash and dry is kind of fun... really!

=WR=

Chevy43

New in Town
My dream dishwasher is the small Hobart that has a rounded top that opens from either side and you slide 30" square app. trays through it. It washes the dishes at 180 deg. F. and they come out so hot they dry in about 3 minuets.

They have been making those forever.

I looked on the web and didn't see a picture of the one I'm talking about but there seems to be a lot of other Hobarts. You can look on Ebay too.

Treven.

GearHead

One of the Regulars
I just dropped an email to Smeg about distributors in the US to see where I can find then around here and what the cost is.

For our floor we just went with a grey slate toned tile. The cabinets are maple with beadboard inlays to along with the beadboard wainscoting along the walls.
Very classic country but we have alot of 50's accent pieces like the small appliances, napking dispener, and now looking at getting the larger appliances.
I'd also love to put a 50's style booth table in at some point.

The half bath off the kitchen is up next for remodeling and were going with a classic black and white tile and classic fixtures in there.

Erick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael