Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Dobbs Diner...

rlk

I'll Lock Up
5402108218_e6e02ce339_b.jpg

5402124784_85b85c986b_b.jpg

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
What I find interesting about the trademark registration is that C&K offered a Knapp-Felt Cross Country as early as 1908. I'm guessing that the first Dobbs Cross Country was 1920-ish, and just as would happen with the Game Bird, the name would transfer from the Knapp-Felt brand to Dobbs as Dobbs became the more popular of the two brands.

I'd like to see Hatco bring back the Cross Country. They had something similar with the 2007 Cavanagh Park Avenue, but I'd rather see a more classic crown. This one is just a bit too low:
Park_Avenue_5.jpg

Brad

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
One last note: What I find quite interesting is that the beige, the 30's version, is a bit higher in the crown and narrower in the brim compared to the 40's version. But that difference is commensurate between the two - that the 40's brim is 1/4 wider and the crown is 1/4 lower than the 30's version. Would they use the same bodies and just adjust height and width to accommodate the style of the times?

SteveAS

Practically Family
Leisure Light, with Improved Felted Welt Edge. I couldn't get a picture of the original Roos Bros $10 price tag behind the sweatband. Speaking of which, it's wrinkly because a past owner stuffed folded paper behind it. Now that I've removed it, the hat fits perfectly and I think the sweat will flatten out over time. As you'd likely guess, the felt is very soft and very easily molded dry. I like this old, thin felt!

Am I right in thinking this is early '40s or possible '30s?

IMG_0358.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

Last edited:

SteveAS

Practically Family

1930's Dobbs Leisure Light Park Avenue with 2-3/8" wide brim with Improved Felted Welt Edge(Cavanagh type of 1931 Patent date). Open Crown about 5-1/2" high. Thin soft and flexible 2-1/8" wide sweatband with deep embossing and rolled inside edge. Tassle at sewn sweatband seam has 5 lobes. The felt is very thin and light as well as soft. As light or lighter than Borsalino Alessandria or Pliafelt or Cross Country. Crown really soft and easily shaped with little force while the brim holds its flanging firmly.

Yes, that whole description applies to mine.

makes me think mine came from Park Avenue store.

That seems likely; mine doesn't have the Dobbs Park Avenue stamp. The only differences I see in our hats is the store branding and mine still has a wind trolley.

Chinaski

One Too Many
SteveAS, I saw your post in the New Hats thread and posted that I hope it fits. I'm glad to see you not only found such a great hat but it fits well too. Score!

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
The Dobbs Westward and the Dobbs West line of hats were two separate creatures, and there was no over lap in production dates(from what I've been told.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum