Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The downturned brim

Python

New in Town
I would like people to educate me on the the downturned brim style. What is it about this style that attracts people? I have found so many hats I like only to find they have the downturned brim. Why are so many hats made in this style? I'm starting to wonder what I'm missing.

I think what turns me off to them is they look too "cowboy" for me. Maybe I'm just not seeing something there. I guess I'm trying to talk myself into liking them ... there are so many nice hats out there in this style (one in particular the Banjo Paterson).

Thanks,
Jim

dlgilbert

New in Town
I'm no expert, but to me, the downturned brim seems more casual and "outdoorsy" than a regular snap brim. I own a few hats with downturned brims (including the Banjo Patterson), including some straw and raffia hats. The downturn makes for great sun protection and all my yard work hats and hiking hats have downturns.

It doesn't seem right (to me) to wear a downturn brim (in most cases) with less casual attire... business-wear, suits, etc. I'm sure some people do and pull off the look just fine, but that's just my impression.

Overall, I prefer a snap-brim (upturn in the back) fedora unless I'm looking for a hat to use mainly for sun protection or for outdoor activities. :)

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Downturned brim

They are a Safari style/Outback hat. A more casual fedora.

Safari hats are suitable for downtown or down under, and will survive your rural and urban adventures. Safari style is downturned brim.

nicolasb

Familiar Face
Prairie Shade said:
What is a Slouch Hat then?
I'd like to know the answer to that too. :)

The term tends to be used to describe the sort of military hat that has a very wide brim, bent upwards on one side. This sort of thing: http://www.davidmorgan.com/proddetail.html?product_number=1601

It's also used to describe the hats worn by officers during the american civil war.

But I have the impression it's a less specific term than that would imply.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
The down turned brim..

to me looks like a very 1930s type of style. I was watching an old 30s film recently on TV. It was a Sherlock Holmes film. It was set present time (for then) and the actor playing Holmes (not Basil Rathbone, sorry can't remember the name right now) wore his brim turned down all around. It was very high crowned and looked great.

Sefton

Mycroft

One Too Many
Sefton said:
to me looks like a very 1930s type of style. I was watching an old 30s film recently on TV. It was a Sherlock Holmes film. It was set present time (for then) and the actor playing Holmes (not Basil Rathbone, sorry can't remember the name right now) wore his brim turned down all around. It was very high crowned and looked great.

Sefton
What kind of hat was Holmes wearing: Deer Stocker (classic Holmes) or a top hat or what?

HaraldTheSwede

Familiar Face
Sefton said:

Many film noir tough guys (40s and 50s) wore fedoras with down turned brims. You almost always see Dan Duryea in hats like this for instance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran