Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE Dress - Butterick 4790

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
ohairas said:
LD, thanks so much for reposting that version, I remember it now. Funny, I didn't see it while searching all day, lol!
Here's another one I found,
3427910268_ca26fe1fed.jpg

Well, you goils are making me think twice about attempting it, (esp. for my first REAL pattern project!), but I suppose I'll have to learn for myself and then I can gripe about it with the rest of you, haha!

Maybe I just wanna make it so that I can "rig" it up because rigging seems to be my life. :eusa_doh:

Nikki, that dress is amazing. You are so creative.
I have that one. I think it will be much easier to wear (for me at least.)
Here is my version of 4790. It's not the best dress for a pear shaped girl I think. At least not with out some modifications.
002_25A.jpg

cynroux

Familiar Face
deadpandiva, I LOVE the shamrock version.

And ladies, you've inspired me to give it a go. I'm armed with a 5 yards of cute blue and white seersucker with little anchors and some contrasting deep red binding in hopes that I can create this "very easy" pattern by Independence Day. I have zero sewing talent, but I'm patient.

I've followed the thread and have stored away all the great tips.

Wish me luck!

3484827446_2093353a50.jpg

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
cynroux said:
deadpandiva, I LOVE the shamrock version.

And ladies, you've inspired me to give it a go. I'm armed with a 5 yards of cute blue and white seersucker with little anchors and some contrasting deep red binding in hopes that I can create this "very easy" pattern by Independence Day. I have zero sewing talent, but I'm patient.

I've followed the thread and have stored away all the great tips.

Wish me luck!

3484827446_2093353a50.jpg

Good Luck !!!! :)

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Thank you all SO much! I am so inspired now... ah.. I could literally have a project for every week this year, and still not get done with my list, lol!

DPD, I'm not too fond of the full skirt at my hips either, but I think the dress DEFINITELY flatters you! Or should I say, you flatter IT!
I think it looks amazing! Very cute fabric, and hair band.

Cynroux, best of luck! Your fabric is adorable!!!

I'm thinking I really like the look of this dress done in just one fabric, no contrast.

I also wonder how it would work with cutting the sheath off at the waist and doing a half circle skirt panel instead??

I've loaded a few pics from the WOZ trip to my blog~

Antje

One Too Many
deadpandiva said:
Nikki, that dress is amazing. You are so creative.
I have that one. I think it will be much easier to wear (for me at least.)
Here is my version of 4790. It's not the best dress for a pear shaped girl I think. At least not with out some modifications.
002_25A.jpg

you did an excellent job on this I think, I love the pattern,

and Nikki How awesome, I wan't a wiz dress myself!!!!!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
good luck Cynroux, I can't wait to see the finished dress.
I think I may try this dress just one more time. It was really fun to make, but I will have to alter the front skirt part.

cynroux

Familiar Face
All Finished!

This was such a fun project for my second time at a sewing machine and it came out MUCH better than I expected, mostly thanks to all the advice in this thread.

I put this together by pretty much following the instructions to a "T", except for the front opening, where I opted for three buttons rather than snaps. The next time I do this, I may have to go down a size or learn to alter this to fit, since it's a bit big. I'm not enchanted with the huge neck opening and this sides needed to be tacked to prevent a gap at the sides, but overall, I'm pleased and I'll definitely wear this as a nice boating and picnic dress that I won't worry about destroying. :)

Thanks for all the wishes of luck...I think they worked.

3528470498_61502c1f82.jpg

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
This dress is actually next on my project list! That is a great outcome for your second attempt at sewing! I was doing aprons when I was learning lol

I'm going to give ole 4790 some flair and make it with this material I bought the other day:

n624014163_1794706_1519398.jpg

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
A good accident! My in-laws wanted to go out to dinner in poncy Chestnut Hill so we parked and walked until we found a resturant. Then, right around the corner, was this fabric shop. It was closed the first time we walked by it. When we walked back we saw the door was wide open so I asked the man inside if it was ok if we looked around. And thus I got my new fabric. Completely accidental!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Gee, thanks Ada!!

Amy, that fabric is TDF. I've got to think of something to make with it too! Can't wait to see your version with it!

Cynroux, the dress turned out fantastic! I'm sure you're totally hooked by now, and waiting for that next project. LOVE those shoes!
I'm trying to decide what I can do for the huge neckline on my trial dress. Perhaps put ties on the shoulders ala Marilyn Monroe in Misfits? LOL!
Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Wow Amy~done already, you don't mess around do you? LOL!
Is that not adorable?! Love it, and the blue trim is perfect. Let us know what comments you get while wearing it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred