Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Enlisted Man's Christmas Dinner

CitizenGenet

Familiar Face
I've been perusing the images made available by the National Naval Aviation Museum, and came upon this gem. It's the Christmas dinner served to at least some U.S. enlisted men in 1943. There wasn't much more information to further identify where the photograph was taken, though since it was with a collection of photographs taken in the Aleutians, it could have been there.

enlistedchristmasdinner43.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
So, turkey breast with stuffing and cranberry sauce, corn, salad with olives, mashed sweet potatoes with gravy, asparagus (where'd they get asparagus in December? Probably canned), buttered rolls, plum pudding with hard sauce (I thought it was brownie and ice cream, but I'm sure it's plum pudding), coffee and . . . . a cigar! Where do I go to enlist?

Jish1969

Familiar Face
Not too different from what I got for Christmas dinner in the Navy while I was deployed two years ago....mmmmm...Christmas was in Cameroon and New Years was in Ghana that year.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Took me awhile to find this, but here is the actual menu for the Christmas Dinner my father shared on December 25, 1942, while with Battery "D" of the 32nd Coast Artillery Training Battalion, stationed at Camp Wallace, Texas.

Cover_Sized.jpg

Page_1_Sized.jpg

Page_2_Sized.jpg

Page_3_Sized.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn