Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the face of evil

jpbales

Practically Family
I doubt hats like that will ever get kids back into hats. Those hats go with a particular style, some kind of strange punk or gangsta' style of some sort that screems the absolute opposite of what most of us Fedora Loungers consider style. They're going for a gansta' rapper look as opposed to a Sinatra look. I can't see someone wearing a hat like that turning to real fedoras.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
jpbales said:
I doubt hats like that will ever get kids back into hats. Those hats go with a particular style, some kind of strange punk or gangsta' style of some sort that screems the absolute opposite of what most of us Fedora Loungers consider style. They're going for a gansta' rapper look as opposed to a Sinatra look. I can't see someone wearing a hat like that turning to real fedoras.
And I do think that's the bottom line.

Feraud

Bartender
Blackthorn said:
Now we know what evil looks like:

IMG_2727.jpg

I'm leaving now. I have to go cleanse my soul.
Unfortunately that is the face of progress. :(

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
scottyrocks said:
Indy comments? Probably not many.

Goofy, however? Probably lots.
Much as I hate the "Indy" comments, I'd rather be
called Indy than "K-Fed".

BTW, see the image under my screen name... Those hats are pricey.

Slouch-Hat

Familiar Face
Some truths here:

1. These are ugly, and an affront to all serious hat folk.
2. They may indeed get youngsters to start wearing headgear other than baseball caps, but is it worth it?
3. They are not much better than baseball caps.
4. $9.99 is still a rip-off for these pieces of crap.

All of that being said; the fact that they call these 'fedoras' and cater to young people who want to follow fashion is actually a bad thing, hat-wise. When hats other than baseball caps become a fashion trend instead of style, then I believe it weakens what we, as serious hat lovers, try to do. We wear and understand the real hat; its elegance and purpose, and we wear them out of a sense of gentility and respect. There are huge differences between style and fashion, and I'll take style any day. I think there's a chance that kids who wear these may indeed graduate to 'real' hats one day; but I think there's even more of a chance that we (the real hatters) may be looked at as followers of K-Fed trendiness when we go out in our true chapeau.

End of diatribe. Great picture, 'Thorn!

Slouch-Hat...

Spats McGee

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
Just imagine somebody in the store yelling,
"That's it, that's the hat I have been searching for all my life!"
With those, I imagine something more like: "Omg, Becky! That's like so cool!"

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Spats McGee said:
With those, I imagine something more like: "Omg, Becky! That's like so cool!"

I can see it - teenagers in Seattle go for anything flashy and different, so these hats would probably sell great in a thrift store.

The red and white check one would have made a perfect hot pad for my grandmother's kitchen.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
To paraphrase what the great G.B. Shaw once wrote to a critic:

Mr. Hat manufacturer,

I am sitting in the smallest room of my house; with your "fedora" in front of me.
Very soon it will be behind me."

(Not recommended for those of you on a septic system)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I just saw a 12ish year old girl wearing one at the grocery store. She was rocking the pink to contrast her aqua crocs.

I don't find them so objectionable, much in the way a furniture-maker friend doesn't object to most of what's sold at Ikea. Not that I would wear one, but then, I'm not who the sellers have in mind.

Expect the lockers at your local middle schools to be filled with those things a couple of weeks from now. (Or do the teachers and administrators allow hats to be worn in classrooms these days? It's an honest question; I really don't know.)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
We are having a vintage themed Tea Party at our home tomorrow afternoon for BAWMHRS friends. We don't use tea cozies, so its not on the shopping list along with the cucumbers, petit-fours, and scone mixes...

djgo-cat-go said:
I think they make an excellent tea-cosy..:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy