Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The fall of the phone

jayem

A-List Customer
Well, I enjoy my cell phone. I guess I'm one of the few people in this world who still refuse to talk on it (or god forbid, text) while driving. Is something SO important that you must talk about it right that instant? What I hate most of all are the people in the grocery store who stand there on their phones going 'Um... okay, what else do we need?'. Ever hear of a grocery list?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Feraud said:
There are a few of us left with common sense enough not to talk/text/eat/apply makeup, etc. etc. while driving. We are a dying breed.

I saw someone yesterday talking on a cell while *riding a bike.* If that's not a sign of someone likely to soon be part of a dying breed himself, I dunno what is.

Feraud

Bartender
Yes. A lot of the bicycle delivery guys in our area talk on the phone while making deliveries. Not a smart thing to do.

This a.m. I saw a woman using an eyelash curler while driving to work. I guess her mom never admonished her about losing an eye.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
ThesFlishThngs said:
I'm a telephonophobe too! Sometimes the only reason I answer the phone is knowing I'll have to return a call, which is even worse than receiving one! ;)

Oh me too...I have a cell phone....I talk on it...but the list of people I speak with regularly via a phone is countable on one hand...and its all people that I have slowly got over the '30 + min to work up nerve to dial' stress with....

I don't have an answering phobia...so when people call, its much easier somehow.

Geronimo said:
Texting may be the most vintage feature of a cell phone. It's very similar to the telegraph - a great way to send quick, short messages like serial numbers, addresses, anything you'd need to take down with a notepad and pencil. When you see someone texting, you can chuckle to yourself that they are using 'stone-age' technology. :p

Exactly! and is is for this reason that my incoming text message sound is a sound bite of the first telegram sent.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Texting is nice because you aren't committed to a long conversation once you contact someone. And more importantly you have an extra moment to think of what you're saying before you say it. I need that sometimes!!;)

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
A woman was killed in Toronto earlier this year while texting - she walked right out into traffic on Front St. by Union Station - Toronto's equivalent of NY City's Grand Central Station.

I've seen cyclists texting several times, and teens doing it on the way to school.

Whatever can be so important?!

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
KY Gentleman said:
Texting is nice because you aren't committed to a long conversation once you contact someone. And more importantly you have an extra moment to think of what you're saying before you say it. I need that sometimes!!;)

My wife told me at the weekend that my texts read like a telegram, compliment?

Thanks to Matt for suggesting this topic, it is very interesting. I too have noticed a lot less telephone boxes, we still have some of the red ones around though.

IMG_7915.JPG

There still a place for them for instance if your battery is dead? That said, I was in a shoe shine booth at Marylebone Station last week and they had a power point with various charge adaptors so one could energise one's field telephone.

Here in the US a lot of people have a cell phone recharger in their car and recharge as they drive.

Another interesting device is a crank device recharger. If you go to a camping or surplus store or look thru the catalogs, often you will find in the emergency supplies section there are the crank radios. Winding the crank for a half minute charges the radio fo 30 minute or more, I think the crank winds up a clockwork generator that powers the AM/FM radio. A few of them also have power ports to recharge a cell phone for an emergency call!

NicknNora

A-List Customer
If they come out with a cool art deco design for a cell phone I might be tempted to buy one but until then I'll stick to my vintage land line phones. lol Speaking of art deco design - I wish they would come out with an art deco design for my laptop. lol

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
If you are handy you could modify your own gadgets.
steampunk-laptop2.jpg

Oooh. Nice. I'll have to start thinking about this. Thanks, Feraud.;) I'd love to see more photos. What does the outside look like? Is that a wind up key on the keyboard?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Ethan Bentley said:
I too have noticed a lot less telephone boxes, we still have some of the red ones around though.

That's a darn shame. :( We don't have any telephone boxes, and it seems we're running out of payphones in general. A few weeks back, I ran around town like a chicken with its head cut off trying to find one so I could phone my fiancé - and it was urgent!
No stores would let me use their phones, either - they just stood there, chins on the floor, as I explained that I did not have a cellphone. I almost felt ashamed :eusa_doh:

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
Here in the US a lot of people have a cell phone recharger in their car and recharge as they drive.

Another interesting device is a crank device recharger. If you go to a camping or surplus store or look thru the catalogs, often you will find in the emergency supplies section there are the crank radios. Winding the crank for a half minute charges the radio fo 30 minute or more, I think the crank winds up a clockwork generator that powers the AM/FM radio. A few of them also have power ports to recharge a cell phone for an emergency call!

I've seen those, very neat, often come with a solar panel too. A friend of mine said that these chargers were now essential for Music Festivals, he was off to Glastonbury and then Reading. Naturally how else could you twitter whilst watching Bruce Springsteen?

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
C-dot said:
That's a darn shame. :( We don't have any telephone boxes, and it seems we're running out of payphones in general. A few weeks back, I ran around town like a chicken with its head cut off trying to find one so I could phone my fiancé - and it was urgent!
No stores would let me use their phones, either - they just stood there, chins on the floor, as I explained that I did not have a cellphone. I almost felt ashamed :eusa_doh:

I'm very sorry to hear that. I had a similar thing recently trying to find a public photocopier.
The fact that people wouldn't let you use their phone is a sad reflection of what an old business phrase describes as "$tuff not Stuff - Is it making us money?".
A dollar call is a pittance and I'm sure you'd remember the store more fondly for their kindness, a cheap piece of PR that.

NicknNora said:
If they come out with a cool art deco design for a cell phone I might be tempted to buy one but until then I'll stick to my vintage land line phones. lol Speaking of art deco design - I wish they would come out with an art deco design for my laptop. lol

I am with Feraud on the modification. I use a cell phone for many of the important reasons listed here (and also apply common sense and appropriate etiquette).

I created a "skin" for my phone through my service provider (it was around $20) using an image of an old radio cabinet, the "wallpaper" on the inside screen is of an old phone, and the ringer is set to sound like a vintage phone as well.

Ta-Da! Vintage Modern!

Now if only I could create a Telegram form that would show up for the text messages....

NicknNora

A-List Customer
Hamilton_Honey said:
I am with Feraud on the modification. I use a cell phone for many of the important reasons listed here (and also apply common sense and appropriate etiquette).

I created a "skin" for my phone through my service provider (it was around $20) using an image of an old radio cabinet, the "wallpaper" on the inside screen is of an old phone, and the ringer is set to sound like a vintage phone as well.

Ta-Da! Vintage Modern!

Now if only I could create a Telegram form that would show up for the text messages....

Cool. I'd love to see photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo